• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How long did it take you to find your favorite putter?

About 6 months.
I started with a Polecat, next I bought a Champ Aviar. I hated the shape of the Polecat and plastic feel of Champion for putting, so then I bought a handful of putters at the same time to compare. I believe that trip to the Disc Store resulted in me coming home with a soft Judge, SSS Magic, Wizard (don't remember plastic type, but it was firm), soft Crown, and probably another one or two that I'm forgetting about. I've either sold, traded, or given away all of those except the soft Crown, which was the putter that had the best combo of hand feel, glide, speed, and stability for me. Judge was a close second. I kind of wish I had liked the Judge more just because they're easier to buy in a preferred weight/plastic combo, but whatever. Not going to switch just for that. At this point I have 2 soft Crowns, 4 medium crowns, and a hard Crown. I strongly prefer medium Crowns. I do sometimes use a soft neutron Envy for headwind or C2 putts, but Crowns are where it's at for me.

Putted with Aviar P&A for my first two years or so. Then tried the JK Aviar in a trade here on DGCR. Never looked back and I've never tried another putting putter.

Of course, I also love to throw both the P&A and Big Bead Aviars, too.

After 18+ years of dabbling in this sport, I am still looking...

Going to try a ringer gt now

Over 30 years in and it took me all of that to settle in a bit. I have no clue what I used early on, I remember Softie 86s being in there for a bit. Aviars were awesome but they hated me, I kept losing them on drives. Eventually I tried and stuck with Wizards for a long time until I really only like them for driving. My putting was terrible no matter how much I practiced. This led me to evaluate what I liked and what was a deal breaker in a putter for me. Eventually I realized I preferred low profile puddle topped putters and settled on the Kastaplast Reko. My putting is dramatically better now even with practicing less. I'm not sure they will be the final putter but for now they are great.

I didn't do much trial and error. I bought a soft magnet in like 2005 and played with it until it broke in like 2008. Then I bought a Warlock and have stuck with them ever sense. Not sure if my form got built based on them or just happen to fit my form I haven't found a reason to change. I've used some of the other popular mold here and there, usually cause I bought to try them driving, but for putting nothing has worked as well.

Seems like you've tried enough variety at this point. I'd pick one you like 'best' and stick to it for the time being. As long as you're getting a clean release it should work well. I don't think anyone would recommend constantly switching putters

Last summer I was putting Wardens. I had a long, rough stretch, where I couldn't drain anything. So, one weekend about 2 hours before a tourney, I spontaneously (and almost spitefully) picked up a Judge, and won with it.

No current plans to change.

Last edited:
Took probably 5 years. I tried TONS. Some felt righter more immediately. Some didnt click.

Then I realized that most every moderately overstable putter would work fine--it would be familiarity and practice that made the difference.

So I picked one that was cheap, abundantly available, relatively comfortable in my hand (recognizing it would absolutely feel "right" once it became the only putter I picked up anymore), and useful across a full spectrum of wear.

That could have been a KC Aviar. Warlock. Judge. Etc. etc. etc. etc.

For me, it is the Wizard.

Challenger, Banger GT, Aviar, Dagger, Prowler, Pure and finally I settled on the PW Wizard. I certainly hope O have found my putter for life, fills the hand like the dagger for my putting grip but can be thrown comfortably as well. I like minimal putter molds (2) sometimes I debate trying a neaess putter (IDK why because I like the beaded feel) puttong os personal and based on feel. Whatever disc you like the feel of; learn and keep it.

Then I tried the P2 and that's pretty much changed everything at this point.

either 1 year, or 14 years and counting. I have come full circle back to the wizard. It has been a favorite for a long time but I don't know if I have "a" favorite.

(Ion, Banger GT, Challenger, Cryztal Challenger, Mercy, Berg and Reko each got at minimum one full year as my main putting putter...)

Aviar->Envy->Serpent->Wizard->Omega

Took about 4 years to come back to an Aviar with the Omega. I probably never should have changed it in the first place. The Wizard is the only other that has stuck around as my main putter for over a year. They are good, but I'm glad I made the switch to Omegas.

2 ring avair> big hiatus from golf >p1x>judge

Started with an old 2 ring aviar from high school. Quit playing for 15 years. Started again and ordered a discmania mystery box in 2017. I started using the p1x in the box, loved it. Took over a month to find a backup, got fed up with lack of availability, and switched to a judge. Now I'm happy

So 16 years, but really about a year

Last edited:
After 18+ years of dabbling in this sport, I am still looking...

Going to try a ringer gt now

One of My Cousins has a ton of success using that disc off the tee as well as for his putting putter, also the Steady Ed is a Ringer without the grove top if you do not like that on a disc.

P2 got bag stolen> Zero hard pure couldn't find more 176 g's > classic aviars these have been my main putter for awhile. But lately I've have lost total confidence in them. I'm trying out a buddy's classic blend judges tomorrow to see if I should make a switch.

Ask me tomorrow. Hunters have been in my bag as long as any other putter. I have green and pink protege plastic and they feel so different. For now green is my winter blend and the pink are for the warmer months. If I can't find more like the green ones soon, I may switch up to one of the numerous other aviar clones or try out some of prodigy's offerings. I love my 350g pa1's but they are too beefy for putting.

P2 got bag stolen> Zero hard pure couldn't find more 176 g's > classic aviars these have been my main putter for awhile. But lately I've have lost total confidence in them. I'm trying out a buddy's classic blend judges tomorrow to see if I should make a switch.

You might look at the Marshal, as well. Bead not as big as the Judge's, stability between the P2 and Pure.

Ask me tomorrow. Hunters have been in my bag as long as any other putter. I have green and pink protege plastic and they feel so different. For now green is my winter blend and the pink are for the warmer months. If I can't find more like the green ones soon, I may switch up to one of the numerous other aviar clones or try out some of prodigy's offerings. I love my 350g pa1's but they are too beefy for putting.

The 350g Pa3 is an excellent putter in that great 350g plastic, and not as beefy as the Pa1 (Pa3 is very straight putter)

One of My Cousins has a ton of success using that disc off the tee as well as for his putting putter, also the Steady Ed is a Ringer without the grove top if you do not like that on a disc.

I like it. My thumb fits perfectly at the inner edge of the groove top.

I picked up a z flx ringer gt for teeshots

I found the Kastaplast Reko in early 2016.
I've putted with them ever since.

They have the perfect feel for my hands & putting style.

My path to the Reko went:
Voodoo - Ion - Wizard - Reko

There was a lot of other mixed between but nothing that I was overly invested in.

Now I have a short stack of K3 Reko that do most of my short work.

I recently added a P3x to my bag as it basically feels and flies like a RekoOS. I've always wanted a bigger beaded Reko and the P3x fits that bill nicely.

Latest posts