• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did you play before you were a "good" putter

attik34

Birdie Member
So how long did it take you to get to where you felt good putting?

I'd define this as very confident in the circle, call it making more than half of your 30's or so.

I currently suck nuts at putting. And its awesome. Not. :doh:

In the past year I have become really confident in the circle. I have been playing for 4 years, so it took me 3.

It's weird for me. Casual rounds I'm miss everything in the circle. Well what seems like everything. But lately in tournaments I pretty much don't miss. But getting to the circle is what I'm struggling with atm. But I've been trying to tweak my putting style to become more consistent and not having so many right hand spit outs so that's taking a toll on me right now. But I'm confident about every putt in the circle. Just if it goes in correctly is another story.

ive been a solid putter for 3 years or so, ever since i started taking disc golf seriously. its all focus and yes, CONFIDENCE.

As soon as I stared paying seriously I watched the Discraft Putting Basics video, and basically mimicked that. It worked pretty well, and was a decent putter inside the circle. It seemed like putting came naturally to me. I've made a few changes since and improved more, mostly outside the circle and on the longer putts inside (30 ft). All this happened last summer, so really it only took me about 6 months. But I'm still not a great putter, just decent and I know I'm the exception and not the rule. Stick to it, work on form, and as the post above me says, be confident. That's the most important thing.

I dont feel I am the best yet, I do have an occasional day where I cant make much outside of 30 ft. I quit one thing on the course this spring that has helped my scores a ton at leagues: Quit jump putting. It may sound strange to you but I used to not be able to make the basket from the circles edge. Now my range is 60 ft without jumping, I feel comfortable til 45 or so. Jumping killed me because I had alot of 30 ft comebacks. Now if I miss its either a tap in or a 15 ft max comeback. If I can hit the same putt with my feet set with no comeback missed, why would I jump? My inside the circle putts have became much easier because my range is farther, I only started working on this about 2 months ago, curious where it goes.

When I started to play disc golf and had no clue of good form or disc selection as far as which putter to use. I started with a evolution SSS wizard that I bought cause it had a bob marley dye job on it. And I rarely missed 30' and in. My friends and I would play doubles and they would want me cause I could putt so well and at the time I couldn't drive for nothing. After I found out about correct form and all that jazz I started sucking, but my driving improved greatly. I think what I really comes down to is just focus ad confidence. Personally I also try to not think about the put, I try to think about anything but the putt. I also found that this works for driving as well. If I can put my mind on autopilot and just let my body do what it knows to do then I usually have a better round then when I think about every shot. But it took me about 3 years to become consistent in putting after my initial start of DG. But your improvement is controlled by you and the amount of effort you put into practice, not how long you've been playing. I've seen guys that played for 30 years and can't hit a 10' putt to save par....also copy Nikko Locastro's style, you can't go wrong.

About 3 years for me. I now feel like just about every putt should go in. Not every putt does obviously, but when I do miss it's not by much, and I usually know exactly what I did wrong.

About 6 months after I practiced regularly, I felt like a decent putter. Not anymore since I stopped practicing, though.

Since i developed a routine I've been much more confident i dunno how long it took. i generally have always been an ok putter as long as i make some putts early in the round and try not to let missing a shorty rattle me. i also tell myself in my head before i putt "just put it in the faking basket" helps me keep it simple and not overthink a 30 footer despite conditions, obstacles, etc. its that simple right? "Just put it in the f***in basket!"

I'll let you know, 11 years so far and I definitely would not consider myself a good putter. I have great putting days, and I'm slowly gaining consistency so those happen more often, but my bad days are still really bad.

once I found a form that worked well for me and could find what was wrong in my putting form making me miss in a consistent way such as not following through correctly. I use to putt and not know what my form was "supposed" to be. not saying I have good form but I know how I putt and how it should feel and look every time this was a real turning point in my putting ability

I've stopped worrying so much about making putts, and have been making longer puts more often. 10-12' and I choke though. Which is funny to me, but man... Haha. I've found the less you think and worry about it, the easier it is. It's not your brain that remembers how to do all these things, it's your muscles. Turn your brain off and just take the shot! You know what to do, just don't think about it, and let your subconscious take over. That's what "the zone" is to me in every sport I've played. That point where you don't think, you just do.

Still waiting, although I have reached a level of mediocrity which isn't completely shameful anymore.

I'm pretty solid at 20' and in, but it drops off to probably 50% outside of that. I guess I made it to an okay putter at 2 years, but a lot of room for improvement, especially 21-30'.

It took about three years and many, many hours spent banging my Yeti's into my practice basket. The biggest help was creating a pre putt routine and sticking with it until it became natural. I get complimented often on my putting and approaches, its too bad my drives suck.

I've been playing ten years, I'll let you know when I get there...

This is the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title.

I suck at putting. I mean, I'll have my days where I can't miss, and even average days I'm not HORRIBLE, but it's definitely the weakest part of my game.