• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long do you search for your discs?

I lost a new Assassin E at Highland in Baton Rouge in May and looked for an hour, all told during and after the round. I'm going back with a rake Saturday because I think I know where it is. So that would be 2 months I'm looking for that disc.

Last edited:
No one gets left behind on my watch. Ever. Of course, I had been lucky enough before yesterday to not have any utterly horrible throws. But yesterday I tossed a new leopard I had never used before and somehow it came out of my hand weird and flew right into a marsh-y, low lying area. I looked for about 20-30 minutes for it. My feet were soaked (and that's one of my least favorite feelings in the world- wet shoes and socks). On the bright side, I found an unmarked Discraft Elite-X XS, so that was nice. My first found freebie disc!

Outside of water (unless it's visible) I'll look as long as it takes, but once I let it go for the day I don't go back for it. It's pretty much an unwritten rule amongst my regular group of friends that you help look whether it's yours or not so we're pretty good about recovering errant shots.

Most of our courses are heavily played so lost discs don't stick around very long. I once threw three discs in a row into the same pond and got two of them back because they were close enough to the shore. The third, an Avenger SS, I could see, but it was just out of reach to keep my feet dry so I let it go. I really didn't like the disc so I was not getting my feet wet for a disc that was leaving my bag that night anyway. It was during a doubles round and was gone before the end of the round despite having my name and number on it - I would've told them to keep it anyway - so hopefully someone's enjoying it.

I lost a disc yesterday about 50 feet up in an evergreen tree and spent 30 minutes throwing rocks at it - I got it out and found an Avenger in the process. 30 minutes is definetly my max - the way I see it is maybe some beginner will stumble upon my lost disc and make their day. And who hasn't found someone else's unmarked disc, so maybe I'm 'paying it forward'.

Plus, when you lose a disc it's a great excuse to go out and buy something new.

I would look as long as needed, but after an hour or so I give up usually and get back to playing. I might try to look again for it next time I am on the course. I still look for the Comet I lost in the beginning of June.

I never leave one behind if I can help it. I'll look until its to dark to see. The only exception is flowing water...I'll try for 5-10 minutes, then another 5-10 if there is somewhere it might get caught.

I don't look for more than 20 minutes. I hate to hold up the other people I'm playing with.
Might break 20 minutes if I lost my Buzzz.

I've only lost two discs so far:
Brand new EliteZ Avenger - high grass and brush, saw a snake coiled up by my feet so I gave up
ProD Wasp - have no idea how/where I lost it

For me it depends. If it is a new disc that I haven't thrown much I will not look long because it is replaceable. If it is a disc I have had for a while and is beat in I will look 15-20min, then prob. come back the next day and look again : ). My problem isn't losing disc it is forgetting them. Don't know how many times I have taken my upshot and just left my drive laying there.

My problem isn't losing disc it is forgetting them. Don't know how many times I have taken my upshot and just left my drive laying there.

man I hate doing that. What a great feeling having to jog back a few holes to grab one I just left at its lie :rolleyes:.

vonDrehle
<My problem isn't losing disc it is forgetting them. Don't know how many times I have taken my upshot and just left my drive laying there.>

Amen that! Walk-aways have cost me more discs than lost. I'll search for up to a half hour usually. Last week I searched longer than that for a Valk near dark. I was back down at the course at first light and there it was laying under a tree I suspect it was stuck in the night before.

For me it depends. If it is a new disc that I haven't thrown much I will not look long because it is replaceable. If it is a disc I have had for a while and is beat in I will look 15-20min, then prob. come back the next day and look again : ). My problem isn't losing disc it is forgetting them. Don't know how many times I have taken my upshot and just left my drive laying there.

So true, I've lost 5 discs that way, and tried to lose a bunch more. I get so mad when I realize I've done that, and have even driven 30 mi. out of my way to go crawl back into the poison ivy where I left my favorite roc...