• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long does it take...

The one thing different in the earliest calculations is we dropped the bottom 15% of a player's rounds for several years before we switched to the current calculation which drops the bottom 2%. So it's possible the earlier ratings are slightly inflated compared with today.

I played in my first tournament in 2010 when I was 37 (PDGA# 48788). I'm rated at 989 now and should be higher if my last tournament (City of Fountains) in November with two rounds over 1000 was included like it should have been. It's absolutely possible for someone over 40 to pick up disc golf and get to 1000 rating. It is challenging to put the time in to practice and play as many tournaments as I would like, but I haven't played my best golf yet.

Looks like you've been playing for close to 20 years. I don't think the OP is asking how long it takes from when you started tournaments, but from when you first started throwing period.

Looks like you've been playing for close to 20 years. I don't think the OP is asking how long it takes from when you started tournaments, but from when you first started throwing period.

I haven't been playing for 20 years. It's true, that I had been introduced to it before I started playing regularly. But I really started playing when 09 worlds came to Kansas City and could see what it could be. Up to that point, all I was doing was playing maybe a few times a year with DX discs that my friends had or found.

If you haven't reached 1000 by 5 years of constantly (3+ rounds a week) playing, training, practicing, conditioning, putting...etc...you're never gonna get there. Assuming you started at age 15-30.

I don't think anyone who is age 40+ would ever get to 1000, if they're starting from scratch.

IMO, of course.

Does anyone know of any players who started after 40, but are 1000 rated? Just curious.

I now have incentive...

Last edited:
The one thing different in the earliest calculations is we dropped the bottom 15% of a player's rounds for several years before we switched to the current calculation which drops the bottom 2%. So it's possible the earlier ratings are slightly inflated compared with today.

Assuming the other 13% were worse-rated ...

Latest posts