• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how long does form rehaul take?

ericmerg

Lets assume you decided to stop playing for X amount of time and just do fieldwork/net work every day. how long do you think it would take to do a complete rehaul of your form till it became automatic? like say i go to a field and do everything picture perfect in super slow motion over and over slowly building speed up. would I see a great change in 2 months? three months?

Since you are asking using "how long would it take you" terminology, I wouldn't last more than 20 minutes and quit out of boredom.

I suppose it depends on how committed and dedicated you are, and how much muscle memory you already have built up.

Well considering I've been working on my form for the last decade... :D

I think it's better to focus on smaller goals, changes in form and such are about getting the little pieces figured out and then putting them together. Personally I think a year is a good marker... also when I'm shaking off the rust from the winter typically in the past it takes me about a month and a half to get back to where I was the year before. This year I regressed my worst and it's been two months and I'm still not quite right.

If you focus on form will your putting or scramble shots go to hell? I would be pretty bored as well.

Probably everyone's neuroburn sets in differently. It also takes time to get the throw closer to right in your head. Many youtube coaches revise their ideas, so even those teaching have an evolving concept of what they are doing.

So that invites the question, what are you going to do in the field? Maybe filming yourself can prompt greater insight and growth, but that all takes time, too.

I know I'm not answering your question, but I fundamentally suspect that the concept is wrong. All I can do is be aware of where my game is suffering, and lean into practice and reinforcement in that area.

One of the best things I can do for my game, and one I'm often too impatient to do properly, is to warm up in a field with putters before a match. I've got three beat Wizards and if I can get a proper flight out of them, I'm ready to go.

Lets assume you decided to stop playing for X amount of time and just do fieldwork/net work every day. how long do you think it would take to do a complete rehaul of your form till it became automatic? like say i go to a field and do everything picture perfect in super slow motion over and over slowly building speed up. would I see a great change in 2 months? three months?

Depends on what you're starting with and where you want to end up.

Can take a while.

This has been posted before, but...Stork worked on it for months.

Guess it depends...I love just seeing a disc fly better so fieldwork is never really boring. Problem is my putt & approach game needs attention as well and putting practice is boring vs how can I rip this disc farther or make it do cool stuff?

My mind shuts off standing in a field or around a practice basket.

I tend to do my practice out on the course. I try to get there as early as possible and take multiple throws and multiple putts, trying to simulate actual playing conditions. I understand it may not work for all, but for me it is the best of both worlds.

I also kind of do both but I'm privileged haha. I do a little formwork and play at least 5 holes a day. My dog likes the lower yard where it's flat so he can run, and check the road, go after that muskrat, go visit his friend Piper down the road, check the highways dump pit for deer carcasses or eagles... etc. Sometimes he will even fetch his esp flx drone 2 or 3 times. Basically its dad sanctioned run around time but it gives me time to throw some field shots for 20min before we play more holes. Nice flat 200' between pins with the potential for 300'. And a tonal to put my gopro on if im real serious.

It works well for me.. either to keep the feel or work on tuning my form.

To me it's about building blocks. This is my adventure:

-Started playing Sept 2019 the first year a sloppy 4-step, started getting shoulder pain from strong arming and covid provided more playing time in 2020 with about 550 rounds played, likely contributing to the strong arming.

-After shutting down for a few weeks I started setting goals form building and distance goals, decided to start with Standstill Putters December 2020 after reading comments and watching videos on this site, and other online sources. Progressing to 5-speeds 7-speeds etc. 29 months later I'm now 3-step on 11 speeds, so it's taken patience, but it has paid off. Throwing standstills is now a big part of my game.

-After a few months in early 2021 I progress to 1-step throwing to practice weight shifting, crushing the can, and follow thru. Putters thru drivers. When summer approach I realize, I wasn't going to make it to a 4-step by the end of the year, so I decided 2021 was going to be the year of the 1-step only working on acceleration, and also continue with some heavy course bagging. I no longer throw 1-step on the course, if needed a 1/2 step.

-2022 was the year of the x-step, and the first time having a plan going from putters to the end of the year. From putters to drivers focused on getting used to the extra step. I finished drivers in July, the rest of the year focused on accelerating and fine tuning the form. I reached my distance goals with putters early, and on occasion with my drivers. The x-step has become very effective with my game and will stay with me to hit those tighter lines and doglegs.

-This year 2023, is the year of the 3-step. Same plan as x-step get use to the extra step, by July, I should be done with 13 and 14 speeds, rest of the year acceleration and form. A change to this year January putters, February 5-speed etc, this month 11-speeds. Some distance drivers very likely to reach my distance goals by the end of the year, since I was close with the x-step. This month has been exciting on the practice field 3-step 11 speeds, I've been waiting for it along time, and fun on the course.

Delays:

-In 2022 missed about 2 weeks with knee pain not related to disc golf in January, and right after the pain went away 3 weeks with covid. Started over with x-step putters mid-March.

-Just a few months ago a blister on my plant foot kept me off the practice field for a few weeks and hobbled around on the course a few rounds with one of our DGCR members who was visiting the area.

A Monkey Wrench:

-In April last year I picked up a MVP Neutron Orbital, first time MVP hmmmm. Loved it! Picked up a few more over the next few months and committed to flipping my bag to MVP/Axiom in June. For my game a good decision, and a huge impact. So, I was form building and checking out disc at the same time on the practice field, there were times I didn't know if I was coming or going. Putters thru 9 speed all MVP now. I will keep my Star Mamba, Star Shyrke, G-Star Corvette, and trying to find another flippy Star Destroyer to replace the one I lost.

What to do:

-Originally, I was going to keep building until I reached the 4-step, but at the end of the year it will have been 3 years. If I've reached my driver distance goals, I'm likely to stay put on 3-step. If not, I might build the 4-step?

-Next year If I stay with 3-step, I'll work on release angle with the disc to manipulate flight to hit lines, extra distance in the open, and wind play. I think there will always be something to work on:)

My mind shuts off standing in a field or around a practice basket.

I tend to do my practice out on the course. I try to get there as early as possible and take multiple throws and multiple putts, trying to simulate actual playing conditions. I understand it may not work for all, but for me it is the best of both worlds.

That was the one thing I did right my first year playing, worked on putts and approaches on the course. Came from 20 years playing ball golf and tournament play, can't survive without a good short game. Like you, I'm normally the first out on the course, after several holes I'll stop and practice putt a difficult angle around a tree or threw a gap, and if an angle on approach is new to me, I'll throw a few discs at it. Yesterday, 40-footer thru a tree gap of about 3-feet treed the first two putts, chains the third birdie, didn't count it.

....I'll stop and practice putt a difficult angle around a tree or threw a gap, and if an angle on approach is new to me, I'll throw a few discs at it. Yesterday, 40-footer thru a tree gap of about 3-feet treed the first two putts, chains the third birdie, didn't count it.

I love practicing those weird shots.... they are the most fun

It varies from person to person. No one would be able to give you more than a really rough guesstimate.

There's a ton of stuff involved - age (those youngsters learn faster), athleticsm (flexibility, injuries etc), and how fast your body and brain can adapt to new stuff.

In the past, I've worked on my BH form for countless hours, trying to improve my swing and brace. it was a slow process and still is.

My FH form literally took a Scott Stokely video and a short conversation with Chris Taylor before i pushed 500 feets. FH did come natural to me because of a badminton background. The BH absolutely didn't and i doubt it ever will lol.

Find a way to learn that works for you, keep at it and you'll get there down the line. It might take a month or it might take a decade.

For me it is a circle of:
-> doing drills
-> implementing drills into my throw
-> having completely ****ed up balance, my shots go anywhere that is the front of me and most often towards the moon
-> finding my balance slowly
-> seeing on video review that something else in my form has degraded because I practiced a specific part

The question of how long it takes really depends on what is a meaningful form change for you. The above circle takes about 3 weeks of practice for me to practice a single change in my form. I have now been working on my weight-shift since the start of the year and it is still not fully there, but noticeably better. On the way along I had to change the way I move the hips, do footwork (especially crush the can), feel the weight pressing down on the ground through my feet, learning to let myself fall into the throw and so on and so on. It really is a lot.

While you change your form in a meaningful way it really helps to stop playing. When you play a round, your shots will be embarassingly inaccurate if you commit to the changes made. People will question if you know how to throw a disc. I have scaled down my actual play to once a week which is alright because working on form is also fun. However it would probably be better to not play rounds at all as they pull my back into old habits.

However, working on form was worth it for me so far. I have less stress on my knee, I learn about the mechanics of a throw and I am starting to reap some benefits and finally (after 5 months of work) start to noticeable gains in distance and I can play hyzers with super-flippy discs.

Can't edit my post anymore, but you can also skip through the threads on Form Analysis/Critique and see the changes players have made, what they worked on, what their problems were and the dates of the individual posts. The threads are an open archive of form improvements of many different players with many different starting points and training regimen.

Putting is easier to burn in new form for me. A couple weeks of 100+ putts a day can do it. Trying to throw into a net (or beater discs into plywood leaned on the wall) is not nearly as quickly for me, and I cannot say I have been successful concreting new changes that way. I think that not having the visual result of a successful throw is hard for me. I don't feel the change as much as I see it. Its also harder to get a lot of reps in throwing as I get older. It's a double edged sword too cause when my form gets off it causes aches and pains (dealing with a strained oblique/and or an upper hip inflammation right now) which makes it even harder to get rid of the miss in my form cause I cannot get reps in...

Latest posts