• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] How many Comets do you carry?

TripleB

Eagle Member
If you carry 1 or more Discraft Comet disc, how many do you carry and in which plastics? Which 1 is your favorite?

Based on the fact that many of you said that "everyone should have a Comet in their bag," I purchased a Z-Line 165g Comet.

I had a chance to use it quite often yesterday after I threw my beloved Latitude 64 Pure 250 feet (slightly downhill), straight as an arrow, between 2 trees, and into a steam that was muddy and risen because of 2 inches of rain the night before. :\

So I pulled out the my Z-Line Comet and threw it just as straight as I had been throwing my Pure, so it quickly became my new favorite disc. I used it quite often off the tee on the heavily wooded holes, trying to stay between the trees. And although not as long as my Pure (I know, it should be), it always flew just as straight.

I think there were a couple reasons that the Comet flew shorter than the Pure:
- I had all kinds of confidence in my Pure so it was basically grip it and rip it with that disc
- the Z-Line plastic doesn't seem as 'grippy' as the Zero Medium on my Pure
- the lighter 165g Comet compared to the 174g Pure

I wished I would have gotten a heavier Comet but at the time I had a 174g mid and a 169g mid so I wanted to try something a little lighter...doesn't seem to have worked out so well yet.

I'm thinking of ordering another Comet (hence the question at the start of this post) in a heavier weight 170+ and in a 'grippier' plastic (maybe ESP).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how many of my new found love some of you carry.

TripleB

2-3 depending on course and wind. I've got a couple of recent run pearly comets that are surprisingly overstable that are in and out of my bag. But I have some older dyed Z's and X's that are always in there. Straight to understable. All I have to do is adjust the amount of hyzer I put on the Z and it covers a vast majority of my midrange shots. My other mids are newer run QMS(slight hyzer finish) and a Q-Taurus(serious hyzer finish).

If you carry 1 or more Discraft Comet disc, how many do you carry and in which plastics? Which 1 is your favorite?

Based on the fact that many of you said that "everyone should have a Comet in their bag," I purchased a Z-Line 165g Comet.

I had a chance to use it quite often yesterday after I threw my beloved Latitude 64 Pure 250 feet (slightly downhill), straight as an arrow, between 2 trees, and into a steam that was muddy and risen because of 2 inches of rain the night before. :\

So I pulled out the my Z-Line Comet and threw it just as straight as I had been throwing my Pure, so it quickly became my new favorite disc. I used it quite often off the tee on the heavily wooded holes, trying to stay between the trees. And although not as long as my Pure (I know, it should be), it always flew just as straight.

I think there were a couple reasons that the Comet flew shorter than the Pure:
- I had all kinds of confidence in my Pure so it was basically grip it and rip it with that disc
- the Z-Line plastic doesn't seem as 'grippy' as the Zero Medium on my Pure
- the lighter 165g Comet compared to the 174g Pure

I wished I would have gotten a heavier Comet but at the time I had a 174g mid and a 169g mid so I wanted to try something a little lighter...doesn't seem to have worked out so well yet.

I'm thinking of ordering another Comet (hence the question at the start of this post) in a heavier weight 170+ and in a 'grippier' plastic (maybe ESP).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how many of my new found love some of you carry.

TripleB

I don't think the lighter weight would have made Comet fly shorter. Lighter discs in my experience tend to go farther if not affected by wind. Probably more confidence factor and possibly some other factors just not being used to disc feel/plastic type, like you mentioned.

I just played a course with Pure and Comet and it was a lot of fun. I used Pure for relatively shorter holes and Comet as my driver on longer holes (yes, fairly similar flights but Comet is just glidier and therefore goes farther). I have an X comet with a good shoulder fwiw. Think it's 170-172.

Just one in X plastic, 175-176 grams. Flies like a Comet should imo- straight when thrown smooth, great glide, hyzer flips and long turnovers are all what I use it for.

ESP is a bit more grippy than Z. Try that out or X. X is like Innova Pro, it is kind of between star and DX in a way. Very durable though, especially on a midrange since there aren't sharp edges to gouge up. Also throw that Z a ton, it will take a few weeks but the more scuffed up it gets, it will feel a lot better.

Comets are great, I only bag one but could easily see reason to have 2 in a bag for someone that throws other mids. If someone was Comet-centered, I could see having 3 or even 4 if they throw mids all the time...not every player would get use out of that setup though. If you're going to bag that many of one disc though, you have to ask yourself, do they consistently fly different from each other all the time, or do I make more variation throw to throw than each disc's differences? If I had a few in the bag I would look at them more for the shape of the disc therefore its straight stability vs. turn characteristics, rather than deciding solely on plastic blend.

If you're thinking of getting a second Comet for practicing throws or second shots on the course, you can do much worse than that choice for sure. Comets will keep your form honest, but also reward clean throws with very straight flights. A very true disc to throw for good players, and a good learning tool for newer players.

Edit: Don't worry about durability in the Comet in X/ESP/Z. All will last a very long time, and developing a slow turn is where Comets have huge value as well. All those plastics are good, and in this shape of a disc they won't get hurt unless they get run over or something crazy.

Last edited:
Interested to see some replies here to get an idea of flight differences between plastics for the comet (without reading hundreds of posts on the main comet thread).

I just last week acquired a used X comet, and man am I in love. The glide, smoothness and versatility of this disc is incredible. Going right in the bag and not coming out.

2 x-Comets and 1 big Z. X-Comets are almoast same discs as my proto Comets back in the day. Huge glide and very peaceful flight. This disc will learn you to throw frisbee!

I carry 2: a 175g Z that's still fairly stable (for a Comet) and a 161g X. The X kicked my Pure out of the bag. It doesn't take much at all to get it to go dead straight and it'll hold a turnover better than the Pure

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

I've been bagging a 177g Ti Comet for several months and I've slowly been unlocking it's secrets. Found a unicorn 175g ESP Limited Edition 8.5/10 condition for $8 in a used bin last week and they are both in the bag. The ESP is definitely more US than the Ti and has the magical Comet glide I'd always heard about. I use the Ti now primarily on shots where there's a chance of losing the disc. Hopefully it will eventually beat in and fly a little more like the ESP.

I carry a max weight CFR Z Comet. Such an amazing disc - there are very few discs I have ever owned which fly exactly like I wanted them to with no muss, no fuss.

The Z plastic is stiff enough not to deform much during the hit which I think is one reason I've had more success with Z over the X Comet which is sitting in my basement - I get a cleaner release. Also I feel like X is one good tree hit away from the wing being bent down - I think the already downward sloping wing, the thin, domey flightplate and the concave rim contribute to the X Comet being more prone to quick warpage.

The Z Comet on the other hand is nigh indestructible thanks to the slow midrange shape and the already legendary durability of Z plastic. Straight from hit to the ground and no turn, or a slow controllable upshot with reliable, late fade when thrown nose-up. Or if thrown with a little snap and height on an anny, you get a YUGE sweeping left to right with enough fade to avoid a cut roll.

2 Comets for me.

Understable - Well seasoned lighter X Comet for effortless turnovers
Neutral to Slightly Understable - Either a Seasoned Z Comet (what I currently throw) or a relatively new ESP Comet

Pair these with Roc3s and I'm a happy camper.

No flippy mids! I like to get an overstable mid and beat it until it has turn, but keeps its fade.

Comets are good, but a thrashed Roc or Bard is magical.

I'm bagging 2.

Fresh Z and beat Z. I pair mine with Fossil and Amber Gilas. I will occasionally bag my old X Saturn Comet, but not on courses that I will beat it up on.

I own and carry ZERO Comets.

I'm not an SD86 hater, and I think you add much to the forums here, especially on threads where you get ganged up on... Except on all things Comet! I guess that validates your popcorn.

That said, I do think most people think Comets feel a bit uncomfortable early on. I definitely did, and I think it was the prominent bead. I fell in love with a Buzzz the first time I held and threw it, but the Comet wasn't that way at all. As my form improved, and as I got some grip problems ironed out, the Comet continued to be more important on the course and not just on the practice field.

As for the O Post and Poster, I always have either an X (prefer max weight) or what seems to be a flippier Z (~175g) in the bag. They cover straight shots, some tricky BH and FH anny approaches, sky anny shots, and even some long putts/runs when I'm not carrying my Polecat. I just did a trip with a "minimalist" 5 disc bag, and the Comet replaced my putter. I played two courses in England earlier today, and the X Comet came out of the bag at least 10 times, not counting putts. There was a lot of wind, and it performed great in tail and cross winds, though I would avoid head winds.

I also own a 2015 Ledgestone Ti, an ESP, a Z glow, and 2 MJ tour series Z from the recent runs. The LE is a little too beefy for me to use it for typical Comet shots, and the ESP I have is missing some of the glidey goodness of the X and Z that I own. The MJ tour series are a little beefy as well, but are great "grip-and-rip" Comets and I bet they'll only get better as I use them. They're fun for 1-disc rounds, but they just haven't become a permanent fixture in my setup.

I carry 2. I have a Z (174g) that is my workhorse and it is domey. I also carry an ESP (178) that is flat and is used for standstill shots mostly.

These two are almost always in my bag. Except for some tournament weekends (like this upcoming) where I'm playing a open course and I know I won't use them. For tightly wooded courses they are a must.

Like others here, I have also been trying Comets to see if they catch on with me. I have been carrying 1-2 for about a month now. They are an orange 173g X, and domey blue 170g Z. The orange X is the more stable of the two. The blue Z must be thrown with a good deal of hyzer lest it turn too quickly. I am still entirely a noob with them, and thus need much more time throwing them to get experience, but I cannot claim to love them yet.

I think a person's style of throwing makes a difference when choosing discs like this. For instance, Michael Johansen uses Comets quite a bit, and his style is to use the glide of the disc to its fullest (is that fair to say?) It works for him; he tosses the disc out there, and leaves the teepad while it is traveling down the fairway. I can almost read his mind. He is saying, "Okay Comet, I threw you. Now do your thing. I am going to go eat a sandwich."

My style has been to muscle the discs out to the required distance. If I want to throw 250 ft, throw a putter. If I want to throw somewhat farther than that, maybe club up a Kaxe, but probably just throw a putter harder. And so, my answer to most disc golf holes in my area of New England has been to take out either a Shield or Harp, generally thinking, "duh, why would I pull out any other mold when I have them?" Dead straight. If I want a little bit of turn from them, give them a bit of anhyzer.

At this point, I don't trust that my throws with a Comet will be as accurate as with a putter. I am still bagging the Comets, but something is going to have to change pretty drastically for me to feel a connection to them.

I am going to go eat a sandwich now.