• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many courses are in your "normal" rotation?

How many courses are part of your normal rotation?

• Total voters

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Obviously this depends on factors like course density where you live, work, or regularly travel to, how far you're willing drive to play a casual round, personal preferences/disdain for certain courses in your area, etc., but bottom line…

How many course do you play frequently?

Don't include courses you could play frequently but choose not to hit that often, or courses you only play occasionally... I mean courses you will definitely hit at least a dozen times over the course of a year.

Last edited:
I'd say 4 or 5 courses that I hit at least 12 times a year and 2 of those I play 50 - 100 rounds in a year. Otherwise about 20 that I'll get to 4 or 5+ times a year. In a given year though I also play at least 50+ once or more.

Yikes!:eek:
An interesting question, so I looked at my data for courses I've played about 30 rounds or more (some MANY more!) times since I took up the sport late in 2011. I think I'm blessed with high course density between home and work, and have played weekly leagues & club monthlies, etc, etc. There are 10 full size courses and 3 nine holers that make the cut! :thmbup:

I make it out to the following pretty regularly:
Firefighters Park
Kensington Black Locust
Cass Benton Hills DGC
Bonnie Brook DGC
Wagner Park
Starr-Jaycee Park
Independence Lake - Red Hawk
Hudson Mills Metropark - Monster
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original
Rolling Hills County Park
The Ponds at Lakeshore
Willow Metropark

Lions Park I
Bryant Lake Park
Central Park
Hansen Park
Lakewood Hills
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC
The Valley DGC
Elm Creek Park Reserve
Bethel University DGC

Bradford
Bracketts Bluff
Renaissance
RL Smith
Nevin
Robbins
Fox Chase
My Farm
and until recently- Hornet's Nest

many more options around here- but those are my usuals.

There aren't enough decent (not 9-hole pitch&putt) courses less than an hour's drive from me to answer anything other than "5 or less". I'm not lost in a vast, un-served wasteland, like the guy who's a whopping 30 miles of country road from glorious Highbridge, and nothing else around but his own personal private course (kidding of course!), but I'm not quite close to anywhere. So I generally play the closest course to my house, and the course that is about a 5 min. drive from the office where I work, which gives me the chance to play during my lunch break. I count myself quite lucky there. Otherwise, there are several courses within an hour's drive, but none enough better than these two to make it worth the extra drive on a regular basis.

Main rotation:

Seneca Creek
Ditto Farms
Patapsco Valley

Occasionals:

Rockburn Branch
Druid Hill
Darnestown
Turkey Hill
Codorus
Gifford Pinchot SP
Whispering Falls
Heritage Farm
Middletown
Woodsboro

Abendschein - 12+
Root River Parkway - 12+
Valley View - 12+
Estabrook - ~8
Dretzka - ~8
Brown Deer - ~3
UW Parkside - ~3
Milwaukee County Sports Complex - ~3

I don't have much of a rotation yet considering I just moved in January. But in about a month we'll be closing on our house and I'll settle into more of a routine.

The new house is maybe 10 minutes down the road from a course (Franklin Park), so that will be my main course. In fact, it's the only one that's really reachable on a week day. On weekends, I can get out to a few other good courses, but I think Seneca Creek will be the only one that I go to with any regularity.

I'm definitely in the 5 and below crowd.

4, though 2 of them have multiple layouts, expanding the variety a bit.

One near my office, 1 near my home, 1 right in between (and near family), and a 4th another 10 miles up the road.

Nowhere else do I manage more than a couple of rounds a year, a couple more if I play them in tournaments.

Definitely in the 5 and below, but the variation is exceptional. 3 for me. Two courses that are 24 holes...one flat and moderately wooded the other very hilly and open/windy. Also have a 9 hole in town that used to be an 18...it's got dual tees though and plays difficult. I'm lucky to have top level courses that constantly challenge me...and the wind here in ND always keeps it interesting.

Kind of an odd question, I said 9-11. But that might not be right given the 12+ times per year. I have enough courses around me I don't need to play fewer courses more often. I have two that I play every week (weekly league & my home course), but other than those two I could play a different course every weekend and not hit the same course in a two or 3 month span...

Fortunately my area is starting to blow up a bit and new courses are coming in. Some locations have more than one course on site which is nice for variety. Here's what I play on the regular...

Rotary Park - Huntington, WV
Indian Rock - Huntington, WV
Wine Cellar - Dunbar, WV
Redeemer - Charleston, WV
Little Creek - Charleston, WV
Armco Blue - Ashland, KY
Armco White - Ashland, KY

...and our newest addition (although not quite finished) will be in the mix soon as it's within 20 minutes from home:

St. Albans City Park

Pier Park at least 2 rounds per week

Milo McIver, Dabney, Blue Lake, and Horning's Hideout round out the regulars. The very oftens.

Just 4 regular courses.

Number one is Joseph Davis State Park. 15 minute drive, 27 holes
Wilson-Tuscarora State Park
Hawk's Landing - a private course around an hour's drive but I average at least 4 rounds a month there.
Black Diamond at Emery Park - another hour + drive but we'll worth the drive.

There are several courses closer than 2 of the above, some quite nice courses, but for whatever reason I don't play them as often.

zero for me. I have 2 courses within 90 minutes that is good....and they are 40-50 minutes away. I only play when I travel/explore these days.

Ft. Lauderdale was stuck at 2 courses until 2013. We now have four complete & a fifth (Jet Streem) in the works.

Our club (BDGA) does a decent rotation of the 4 between leagues & tags.

Palm Beach has 2 good ones as well but over an hour drive for me. Same for Miami so those are more for special occasions.

Latest posts