• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs, is too many?

I like most carry way to many discs
2 star max's
destroyer
tee rex x
2 fl's
2wraiths
2 road runners
sidewinder
flash
3 rocks
drone
flx buzz
some of those discs are used rarely but needed for specific shots

Yea, the how many question is best answered this way - as many as you need. I am carrying one extra, so I'm up to ten total. But I'm old and the back can only accomodate so much weight. It's all about confidence, if you need a disc for just one shot a round, and you only feel confident throwing that disc on that shot, you gotta carry it. My biggest variation is in drivers. Currently I'm carrying 2 Preds (and X and a Z), 2 Pulses (light & heavy), one Crush (174 X), one Surge (172 ESP), and one ultra beat Xpress to roll. The mid range package always stays the same; one Pro-D Challenger (174), one CryZtal Buzzz (178), and my beloved Soft Mag (176). Nine times out of ten after my T shot I finish with the Mag - in my mind the best disc on the market.

In my bag

2 Vikings.....Champion, DX
1 Beast......Champion
1 Sidewinder.....Champion
1 Discraft Avenger SS
1 Dragon (Floats)
1 Discraft Stratus
1 Star TL (fairway driver)
1 CRO Star (my new favorite disc, great for approach and long putts)
1 Coyote
1 Hydra Putter

3 aviar putters
2 Z buzzz
1 midnight buzzz
2 dx buzzz
1 star gator
2 star monster
1 champ monster
1 star tee rex
1 star destroyer
1 Z flash
1 star wraith
1 flx surge
1 pro starfire
1 champ tbird
1 sidewinder

I thinks thats about it, could use some consolidating but for the winter and practicing that's what it is...I'll lose some of the variety on the drivers once the season kicks off and double up on whats working.

1 DX Aviar PnA
1 DX Skeeter
1 DX TeeRex
1 DX Wraith
1 KC Pro TeeBird
1 Champ Valkyrie
1 Star Valkyrie
2 DX Valkyries
2 DX Vikings
2 DX Leopards
1 DX Archangel
1 DX Dragon
1 DX Orc
1 Champ Sidewinder
1 X XL
1 Z Flick
1 Polaris LS
1 Raging Inferno DT

Although on most courses I pull out only 4 or 5 discs, 21 are in my bag so I guess 22 is too many, for now:)

You should carry as many as you need to execute the shots you need to make. Usually, the better players can make a disc do what they want, so they really don't need as many. Crazy John Brooks was the second-best player in the game in the early 90's, and he carried three discs.

Feldberg and the 40 disc bag is pretty weird. What he apparently does is he leaves discs he does not throw anymore in the bag. For example he would still have Orcs in his bag even though he now uses a Wraith for those shots. Why he does this, I have no idea. Anyway, he doesn't have to carry the bag. He can always find some sucker to carry it for him becasue...well, because he is Dave Feldberg. So why not carry 40? He still will play most rounds and only throw six or seven of those discs.

Personally I carry between 17-20. In a round I'll typically only throw five to seven of them. I usually carry five or six different molds, three to five different discs of each mold in different stages of beatness.

i carry in my bag:
4 champ orcs (best disc made in the world)
3 pro starfires (real reliable)
2 star destroyers (biggest distance ive ever gotten)
1 esp pulse (hardly use only extreme hyzer)
2 Z wasps (another best disc in the game)
2 11XKC Aviars
1 Pro-D Magnet
1 Star CRO (hit chains my first throw at am worlds love at first flight)

so i carry 16 i think personally anywhere between 14 and 20 is an apropriate amount but for tournaments add on a couple for extras! but everyone has there own opinion! so watever works for you i guess just have fun doesnt matter how many discs you use just have fun! oh and i ussually end up using all my discs in my bag in a round!

There is no magic number of discs that you can carry, that will make you successful.

However, really knowing how to throw your discs well is important.

That being said, it is probably better to carry less, because you know the discs better, and you learn to manipulate them to do what you want.

I personally carry about 19 discs, and around 9 molds.

I myself carry too many discs....but i like a variety of disc to throw on various holes....don't get me wrong i have my favorite disc as well... so i dont think there is any certain number that is too many...

Too many to me is when you very rarely throw the dang things. The longer I play the less I carry, as I have figured out now exactly what I need. All those new discs I buy rarely get used. Im kinda picky about what I use and throw these days.
So to answer your question.......
Too many is all up to you!!!!!!!

As long as you know what each disc does, and you are shooting well, its never too many.

I, however, am a minimalist and limiting the number of molds is more important than the number of actual discs.

FOr example...my bag is

2 champ orcs (164-beat, 164-newish) for controllable distance on a straight or hyzer line
2 pro orcs (175-beat, 175-beat) for big s-curves and hyzer flips
2 pro orcs (163-beat, 163-super beat) for turnovers, big hyzer flip shots, and distance rollers
1 z pred (174-new) and 1 z flick (155-new) for overstable and forehand duties

2 champ leopards (170-newish, 156-new) for controllable fairway and woods shots. THe heavier is obviously for more fade and the lighter for turnovers
2 star leopards (176-new, 172-beat) for straight, controlled shots...new one is being beaten in as a backup for the 172
2 dx leopards (150-thrashed, 168-beat) for rollers, high flex shots, and hyzerflip-to sharp right turn

4 dx rocs (180-new, 179-beat, 179-more beat, 167-superbeat) for all midrange needs from hyzer to straight hyzer to straight to turnover
1 kc roc (180-new) for all overstable midrange needs

1 s wizard (172-semi beat) for straight to turnover upshots
2 m wizards (174-newish, 174-slightly beat) for all putting, jump putting, hyzer approaches, flex approaches, and high power straight approaches

so in all, that is 20 discs, but only 6 molds. Often, Ill even throw in a brand new 175 champ orc as my overstable disc, and that cuts it to 20 discs and only 4 molds. This reduced mold count gives me a consistent feel when I am throwing, so I dont need to adjust my grip for a new disc, just pick the right disc for the shot.

Just my philosophy when it comes to disc golf. courtesy of Blake T at DGR

I feel like I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from tush, as I have yet to really start using multiple versions of the same mold. I'm just starting to settle on certain molds (instead of trying one of everything), and want to add more discs in those molds to my bag to accomplish different goals.

What should I do to start expanding the molds I like?
Buy a few different weights? If so, how far apart should they be?
Buy different plastics?

Right now I have a 169 broken in X avenger thats my go-to disc for sidearm shots
I have a beat up 170 DX wraith that I'm learning to use for s-curves to get that extra distance when I have room to throw. (new dx wraiths and especially the 175 star wraith i have are too overstable/fast for me to get good distance with right now)

What should I do to start expanding the molds I like?
Buy a few different weights? If so, how far apart should they be?
Buy different plastics?

Right now I have a 169 broken in X avenger thats my go-to disc for sidearm shots
I have a beat up 170 DX wraith that I'm learning to use for s-curves to get that extra distance when I have room to throw. (new dx wraiths and especially the 175 star wraith i have are too overstable/fast for me to get good distance with right now)
It sort of depends on the role of the disc you're looking to use. For most discs you're using for control I'd choose molds in low-mid end plastic that start off a bit too overstable, break into be straight with little fade and eventually get to where they turn over but don't just turn over and crash. If you want an overstable version of one of those discs then get a high end version.

Just my philosophy when it comes to disc golf. courtesy of Blake T at DGR
Blake's site is a good source of disc logic.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/

Blake didn't invent disc minimalism, but at a time when the number of discs on the market was exploding he was a nice voice of reason against the crazy desire that everyone had to stuff their bag full of all the newest-fastest-longest discs. If you are wondering what the heck I'm talking about, here is a link.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=640

I've more or less followed disc minimalism for the last dozen years. It simplifies the process of getting a disc in your hand, and you can worry less about deciding what disc to throw and spend more time concentrating on the shot you need to execute. It puts YOU in charge of making a shot instead of depending on the disc to do the work for you, and it will make you a better player.

2 Vikings.....Champion, DX
1 Beast......Champion
1 Sidewinder.....Champion
1 Discraft Avenger SS
1 Dragon (Floats)
1 Discraft Stratus
1 Star TL (fairway driver)
1 CRO Star (my new favorite disc, great for approach and long putts)
1 Coyote
1 Hydra Putter

How do you like that Star TL? I have been thinking about trying one. How does it fly for you?

Haha 50 is waayy too many, at least for one round. Not to have sitting around in the trunk of your car though :).

I usually play with 10-12, mostly different drivers because I don't have many mid-range discs that I like. It's always fun experimenting with new discs though.

I use about 25 discs in a tournament and about 12-15 for practice rounds. I think it is better to come to a tournament prepared rather than trying to figure out how to handle a particular shot using a disc you are unfamiliar with.

I agree with JR that more discs in a tourney the better. Look at the top pros who carry over 40 discs. Its good to have that disc for that one shot even if its only once. If you lose a disc in the water during tournament play you cant go get another disc have to play with what you started. During practice rounds I play with lots of discs as well. Not that I need all the discs, I just love disc golf so much that sometimes on a nice day on the perfect whole I want to unload the bag!!

Latest posts