• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs, is too many?

I usually only carry 3 or 4 discs. I just don't want to carry a bag and I think carrying 20+ discs is a bit overkill. I learned how to play on a course where people made fun of you if you carried a bag, so maybe I'm just biased.

due to my disc buying habits i have about 18 or so in my bag - i have 4 or 5 discs in my bag with multiples

Someday (when the disc buying sensation wanes - and i get good at DG) i would like to be the guy that shows up to the course with 3 discs and whips everyone.

We actually had a guy do that. This guy showed up for his first tournament. He carried 4 discs and a bottle of water. He didn't even have a bag. He would just set his discs on the ground and then throw. He had the best score for the whole tournament. He beat everyone. Everyone was shocked.

I usually only carry 3 or 4 discs. I just don't want to carry a bag and I think carrying 20+ discs is a bit overkill. I learned how to play on a course where people made fun of you if you carried a bag, so maybe I'm just biased.

A bag is not just for discs. I carry insect repellent, pens, score cards, two drinks, two towels, mini marker, sharpie, and my disc retrieving device. Plus I carry a baseball for getting a disc out of the trees. I would feel very limited with out carrying a bag. Plus for the record I carry 14 discs:

I carry 7 discs. One putter, 3 midrange, and 3 drivers. But really I could get by with 1 putter, 2 midrange (1 overstable, 1 understable), and 2 drivers (1 overstable, 1 understable). I carry the extra 2 just in case I loose one. I really can't see how you would need much more than that. I'm sure by playing a few years I could add another disc or two. Right now when I'm standing at a tee pad and thinking about what shot I want to throw if I looked at all my discs in 1 bag (about 20) I'd just get a deer in headlights look. too many choices can make you second guess.

in the end to each his own

I carry 8 and am thinking that its maybe too many.

180g Aero
175g Aviar
174 Coyote
173 Leapard (rarely use this)
175 Roc
169 Wraith
150g Valkyrie
175 Hydra

I'm liking the idea of getting the4 discs I actually use often in a heavy and a light weight and leaving everything else at home..

IMO, the number of different molds makes a bigger difference than the number of actual discs. Having discs of the same mold in different stages of wear is much easier to be consistant with than different molds. It's also nice to have backups on hand. If you look at my core bag, I carry 6 molds but 18 discs. If I choose the wrong Roc, for example, I won't get the exact flight I want, but it won't be drastically different, either.

If you look at my core bag, I carry 6 molds but 18 discs. If I choose the wrong Roc, for example, I won't get the exact flight I want, but it won't be drastically different, either.

I'm finding myself going to the same 4 discs most often..
so, I'm thinking of just deciding on 4 discs and getting different weights. Your approach is making mroe and more sense to me every time I go out.

I carry four discs. A banger or arrow to putt with, a gazelle for mid range, for the last two I alternate through all the drivers I've bought trying to learn them better. I can't progress with a disc if I throw it once or twice a round. So while I'm learning discs, I wear a pack that buckles in the front. I reach back and feel the edge of the disc to figure out which it is so I can select it and putt it out to throw it. This leaves my hands and shoulders free. I've got a nice Innova bag I carried around the course a couple times but the on the shoulder off the shoulder thing is annoying, and I don't want to carry a lot of extra weight in the form of discs I'm not practiced at using. At the point of my inexperience and ability I feel carrying a lot of discs would only dilute my ability. Maybe once I get better I'll feel I need to carry more, but I really like carrying 4 discs. A drink holder and zipper pouch for bugspray and I'm really happy with the bag I carry.

There was a point when I carried every disc I owned ... after some time that got impractical ... :eek:
I currently carry 12 discs in my main bag ... 3 putters, 2 midrange/fairway, and then I have 7 misc drivers. Out of those I really only use my beat DX Valkyrie, Champ Orc, Wraith and Monarch depending on the shot. I really need to add a good overstable driver to my bag and drop some of the uderstable stuff I've got in there. I can play a course with only 1-3 discs, but I like having an assortment of discs that I can use for different shots and learn new discs.

I think when you reach this point, its time for intervention:

bag_top.jpg

I'm finding myself going to the same 4 discs most often..
so, I'm thinking of just deciding on 4 discs and getting different weights. Your approach is making mroe and more sense to me every time I go out.
Once you start you won't go back. Generally it's done with discs of varying degrees of wear and/or different plastics. It's easy to get a cycle going that way. The only problem is you eventually end up with like 30 discs but only 6 molds and you have to ask yourself, "Do I really need 14 Rocs in my bag?"

Dang Midnight....you have my bag!!!!...LOL
Actually mine's blue/grey...but it does look similar to that from the top.

Whoa, hold up. This is not my bag. I found this on the internet. This is my bag:

PICT0390.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

Like someone had mentioned before, I find myself using the same 4-5 disc. After realizing that these were my favorite discs, in stead of carrying around 12-15 different discs, I carry 12-15 discs composed of only 5 different discs. Ill have the same discs, just in different weights or plastics for different shots. I have found this to help improve the quality of my game.

We've got a guy here in Texarkana who doesn't play very often these days, but has almost 30 discs in his bag every time he shows up at the course...several that he hasn't ever thrown and one still in the original plastic bag. Funniest thing is that he throws the same 4-5 discs every round, but still takes FOREVER to pick which one he's going to throw :D

Haha, that is funny about the guy that brings so many discs but uses so few...

Like Midnight that packs his innova competition bag chock full of discs, I too carry quite a few...
Depending on the course and weather conditions; I carry between 16 to 22 discs in my bag. While that may strike a few of you as overkill, I will say that each disc serves a distinct purpose and depending on the weight and or type of plastic will definitely perform different than a disc ofa similar make or model but different weight.

One critical aspect to concern yourself with is to not carry too much that you are depleted of that extra energy towards the end of your round or tournament as that can be a difference maker in how well you score.

Beginners and those not in "competition shape" would benefit from carrying fewer discs and as they get more advanced, they will more than likely carry a dozen or more discs...

Haha, that is funny about the guy that brings so many discs but uses so few...

Like Midnight that packs his innova competition bag chock full of discs, I too carry quite a few...
Depending on the course and weather conditions; I carry between 16 to 22 discs in my bag. While that may strike a few of you as overkill, I will say that each disc serves a distinct purpose and depending on the weight and or type of plastic will definitely perform different than a disc ofa similar make or model but different weight.

One critical aspect to concern yourself with is to not carry too much that you are depleted of that extra energy towards the end of your round or tournament as that can be a difference maker in how well you score.

Beginners and those not in "competition shape" would benefit from carrying fewer discs and as they get more advanced, they will more than likely carry a dozen or more discs...

I couldn't have said that better myself.

If you play mostly open courses,you can get way with just a few discs. If you play a lot of tight, technical courses, you need some specialty discs in your bag.

I carry 15 discs, and each disc does a specific job.

I generally carry between 15 and 20 discs, plus 3 putters at any given time for a couple of reasons. First and main is that each one serves a specific purpose for specific courses around me. Admittedly, if forced to, I probably throw between 5 and 9 of them regularly with the remainder held solely for special shots that only occur sometimes.
The second reason, though... I have something of a collector's mindset about things I enjoy (comics, books, music, disc golf) and have inexplicably found myself owning well over a hundred discs with only a few duplicates. With this kind of inventory, I feel obligated to carry and throw them, even the ones I don't care much for. In my mind, by doing this, I am truly finding the discs that fit me, and also as I become a (hopefully) better player, I will find the uses ( even its only one use) for each disc I own.
Third and most important: If my wife saw me carrying only four or five discs with the stock I have, she'd blow a gasket. Load up the bag, baby, I need every one of those discs!

Latest posts