• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many midranges have you owned/thrown before finding the one?

The Roc, Stingray and Cobra came out about the time I started playing. Those are still my main 3 mids.
I still consider the Stingray a "driver." I never got them memo when it was downgraded to a mid. I struggle to remember that the Cobra is a mid now as well.

Actually, there was no such thing as a mid back then, was there? All three were "drivers." Why I have no problem remembering that the Roc is a mid now and I can't remember that the other two are is a mystery. Alzheimers or something.

Well, started with a DX ROC, went through by Buzzz phase, TI,SS, Regular, then I was lost for a while, MVP's next, Tangent, Axis, and Vector. Found an old Comet, nope that was not the one, close though.

I found my girl in a discount bin, paid 4.99 plus tax. A beat-up looking dream disc with lovely features and it goes where ever I want it to. She's a KC Pro Multi Purpose ROC, the hard white stuff. aahhhh, dreams do come true.

I still consider the Stingray a "driver." I never got them memo when it was downgraded to a mid. I struggle to remember that the Cobra is a mid now as well.

Actually, there was no such thing as a mid back then, was there? All three were "drivers." Why I have no problem remembering that the Roc is a mid now and I can't remember that the other two are is a mystery. Alzheimers or something.

If the courses I played today were as short as the courses back then I would still consider all three drivers. One reason being those would be all that's needed off the tee.
Today the wide rimmed, higher speed discs are what I use for driving because the courses are much longer. These three discs now are used for my mids since they are in fact the mid distance discs in my bag.

I don't recall any reclassification of them but then I never really researched it either. :)
Edit: If you look on the Innova website the Stingray and Cobra are listed as mid range.

Last edited:
Started with a DX Shark, max weight. Lost and not replaced.

Threw a DX Stingray for a while, but that was when the Stingray was considered a driver. Tried a 150 DX Kite, but that wasn't it.

When I started playing regularly I switched between Roc and Buzzz a few times, ending up with Roc and Comet. Replaced Comet with Fuse.

Tested a variety of other mids – Mako Atlas, Coyote, and Warship, but none stuck.

Currently using Truth and Fuse, plus Zone if you count that as a midrange. I am quite happy with that lineup, although sometimes the Fuse is a little too stable for the understable role. At some point I might explore a more understable mid, or maybe just go back to throwing Comets.

There you go – a quarter century of midranges in 138 words.

Like most people, i have tried damn near every mid range, always seem to come back to the buzzz with an occasional Hornet thrown in for some extra stability.

Another vote for, tried tons of midranges but the Buzz stays my go to.

Started out with a Buzzz but could not get comfortable with the feel of it. Now I use a combination of a Panther and a King Cobra wich seems to be working well for me.

I've thrown a majority of them. Started DX Shark, DX Roc, Coyote, Skeeter, back to the Roc for awhile, QMS for a long time, Sentinel, Buzzz, MD2, Comets, Aftershock, Nebula (in and out), Wasp, Vector, Axis, Tangent, Ibex, Fuse (has never left), Pain for a good while, Panther, Spider, Cro, Stingray, Flying Squirrel, and probably more I can't remember. Recently added a Squall which looks like a mainstay. So I don't have the One, I have the Three (Nebula, Squall, Fuse).

If the courses I played today were as short as the courses back then I would still consider all three drivers. One reason being those would be all that's needed off the tee.
Today the wide rimmed, higher speed discs are what I use for driving because the courses are much longer. These three discs now are used for my mids since they are in fact the mid distance discs in my bag.

I don't recall any reclassification of them but then I never really researched it either. :)
Edit: If you look on the Innova website the Stingray and Cobra are listed as mid range.
Oh, I know that. I was more mocking my behind-the-times mindset rather than saying the Stingray should be called a driver.

I threw Stingrays for a long time, but I don't think of them when I think back on my mid setups becasue they were always in my driver set-up. Stingray-Cyclone-Viper/X-Clone was what I thought of as my driver set-up for a long time. I replaced Stingrays with DX Leopards. If I put Stingrays back in the bag now I might think of them differently, but between Comets/beat Rocs and Leopards I can't figure out what I'd use a Stingray for.

Plus all my Stingrays smell like crayons and I'm afraid to throw them. :\

Ah, forgot MD2, Tangent, and Pain. Probably a few others, too.

There isn't "one" mid for me, but if I had to limit myself to one it would probably be my Glo Z Meteor.

I currently bag my Z Meteor, Z Buzzz, Z Wasp and ESP Drone.

My mids. I'm committing (obviously) to Aftershocks and Squalls. The lightweight D-Line Aftershock is close to a Comet, but I'll still make room for a Comet in the bag because they're, well, Comets. When I get some time I'll most likely sell all the Innova and Lat64.

Midrange.jpg

Oh, I know that. I was more mocking my behind-the-times mindset rather than saying the Stingray should be called a driver.

I threw Stingrays for a long time, but I don't think of them when I think back on my mid setups becasue they were always in my driver set-up. Stingray-Cyclone-Viper/X-Clone was what I thought of as my driver set-up for a long time. I replaced Stingrays with DX Leopards. If I put Stingrays back in the bag now I might think of them differently, but between Comets/beat Rocs and Leopards I can't figure out what I'd use a Stingray for.

Plus all my Stingrays smell like crayons and I'm afraid to throw them. :\
Throw a Cobra in there and that was my set up also.
I currently have two Cobras and a Stingray in my bag, all three are Ontario mold (if you have any you want to get rid of... :) ). I still have quite a few of the older San Marino Cobras but don't throw one. I love how the Ontario molds are flat and stiff.
I refuse to try them in any other more modern plastic for some reason. I love the old dx Ontario molds.

I carry 3 midranges in my bag:

Buzz SS - Straight to understable shots

Buzz- Straight, with slight fade at the end

Hornet- Overstable shots, and throwing into the wind

I started with a Buzzz, and it's still my primary one. I sometimes throw an Axis, and I'll often throw other mids, but the Buzzz is the primary one.

Shark 150, mako, buzzz, wasp, kc roc, coyote, wolf, super stingray, gator, king cobra, panther, comet, and roc 3.

I like the shark/roc/wasp/king cobra stability paired up with a pure for finesse shots. I don't like the bead on the comet and wasp but i'm ok with it on the roc 3 and king cobra. I have a shark 3 coming in the mail.

In the bag.....
Two DX Flat Top Rocs
Champ Roc 3
Two 1st run Star Makos

I have a couple backup Roc3s, Five 1st run Star Makos and probably 8-9 Flat top Rocs