• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many midranges have you owned/thrown before finding the one?

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
I think it's fair to say that the majority of disc golfers use a buzzz or roc as their mid. Did you go straight to those or have you thrown other mids before/after and found you liked something else more? What mids have you owned and which ones do you still use? Also, are there any mids that you would like to try?

I've been playing a long time and when I think about it, I haven't really used many mids because I have used a Roc since they came out and keep using them. In the beginning, I used Innova's XD, Aero, Ace, Coupe, Panther, and classic Roc. I own a Wolf but never threw it. I have used Discraft's Phantom, Phantom+, Duce, Wasp, and Hornet. Never touched a Buzzz. I tried a Discmania MD2 which is too much like my Wasp/Hornet to switch. I tried out a Millenium MS and MF but wasn't impressed. Got too flippy too soon. I want to try the Legacy Ghost in their premium plastic.

I now use a 176g Champion Roc3 as my main mid. Good glide and has a very neutral flight so it will hold any line, and a 168g Z Hornet as my overstable mid for wind and hard fade. Yes 168g. It's really overstable.

I used to only throw dx rocs in various stages of beat in ness. Was always looking for a disc that would fly like a beat roc even when new. Found it in the Star Mako. Now I throw a Star Roc, a Star Mako and a Star Whippet. The whippet is listed as a fairway driver but it fits my very overstable forehand midrange slot.
\

Four.

Roc, buzzz, coyote, comet.

Stopped at the last one. I still use a roc and 'yote from time to time, but more as utility discs than as a workhorse.

I've been playing a long time... I own a Wolf but never threw it. ...

Whoa, you've been playing for 29.5 years and never threw a Wolf? Go on, throw that thing one time and watch it go right.

Well lets see i have owned

buzz 1 glow, 1 titanium and 1 dx plastic
shark just dx
gator 1 glow, 2 dx
roc- glow just one
mako- just one star plastic
shark3- 1 champion
mako3- 1 champion
tursas- 1 vip plastic
roc3- 3 champion plastics
spider- 1 dx 1 champ and 1 star
drone- crystal flx plastic

ok so after all those midranges i have in my bag right now 4 midranges and i am going to be getting rid of 1 of them. i have 3 roc3 in the bag now. i have the one tursas for anhyzer shots

When I first started, about 13 months ago, I only used drivers and fairways. About 3 months in I played with a guy throwing a proto Roc3 and he told me all about how great it was. I flew home the next day and picked up a big bird Roc3 the next day. It's been in my bag ever since. Since then I've tried the buzzz, axis, shark, squall, M3, M4, KC Pro Roc and the Ghost. The M4, for me is the perfect complement to the Roc3 and that (along with the zone, which I guess is really a putter) is all I carry. It's the spot in my bag that I'm 100% confident with and don't see changing any time soon.

I threw sharks, stingrays and gators for a while, then found rocs and never looked back.

I just recently (last few months) learned to throw mids. I always had trouble with them/me releasing with accuracy until I started working and learning how to throw a putter with power for distance. I would just use a seasoned t-bird for a mid/utility disc.

I own a DX Skeeter, Eco Mako, that I dont bag. I havent revisited the Mako since I started to bag and throw a midrange. Guess I need to hit the field with it.

I bag a DX Roc and a GL Mace. The roc is beating in to be straight to understable and right turning.
The Mace is stable and will hold a nice line with fade. The Mace will hold any line you put it on.

Last edited:
My original DX starter set (from ebay) included a Roc. It was my first mid. Used it for a couple years.

Added a DX Stingray next. It replaced the flippy/beat Rocs as it was more consistent for me. Then as it wore in, and as I was getting better, it became very useful because of the crazy flippiness.

Needed a a stable mid and added a Star San Marino Roc. I liked and, and bagged it for a couple years, but I never felt too strongly about it.

During the SM Roc era, I also tried an ESP Buzzz. It immediately made the bag, being the "more stable" and consistent disc that I was looking for. It eventually totally replaced the Roc in my bag.

As my game improved I realized that I needed an overtable mid. Enter the Wasp and Hornet. I have a couple Ace Race Hornets and didn't throw them after the race for some reason. I was looking for an overstable mid and got the Wasp. Liked it, but didn't love it. Then I realized I should throw the Hornet again and it's never left my bag since.

Finally, the Star Stingray entered my life. This is the disc that is my go to mid. Super straight for me. If I really torque it, or put a little anny on it, it turns right gently. And If I put it on a hyzer and throw it hard, it will flip up and fly straight beautifully.

So today, and for the last year and a half or more...

(2) DX Stingrays in worn and ultra worn condition for flipping and flopping!
(1) Star Stingray, my workhorse mid.
(1) ESP Buzzz for slightly more stable duties & some forehand escape shots.
(1) ESP Hornet for overstable BH and forehand duties.

Probably TMI, but that's my mid story. :)

Mids? I started with the Panther.

Then I got some Hammers.

Then I got some Sharks.

Then I got some Spitfires.

Then I got some Vortex. The Vortex was kinda beefy; I threw those in the winter when the leave were down and the wind kicked up for several years.

Then I got some Cobras.

I had a Roc early on and hated it. I got another one and hated it less. Third time was a charm. It was an Ontario Roc; it was THE ONE.

I played a lot of glow but didn't have a glow Roc. I had a glow Hawk. I switched to Hawks full time. I wasn't happy. I got a glow Roc and went back to Rocs. I was happy.

I tried Comets when they came out. They were OK. I stuck with Rocs.

I ended up stuck with some Aurora MF's. I used to throw them since I had them. They were OK.

The Roc was switched to the Rancho mold. I was less in love. I switched to Comets. They were great. I had a new mid that was THE ONE.

Sentinels came out; they were cool. Not really an all-purpose go to disc like the Roc or Comet, but I've had one in the bag for years.

I moved from St. Louis to Chicago. I realized once I got there that I had neglected to learn how to throw in the wind. Goodbye, Comet. Hello, Rancho Roc. It was now THE ONE.

I tried Elements when they came out.

I tried Wasps when they came out.

I tried the Buzzz when it came out.

I threw some Element X's for a bit.

I always went back to the Roc.

We moved away from the Windy City and I was reminded of those Comets I used to like. Then Discraft started running them in Z regularly. They went back in the bag. I have flipped flopped back and forth between Comets and Rocs ever since.

I have tried a few new mids the last few years: Warrior, Mission, Flying Squirrel, Scout, Roc3, Mako3. I'm still messing with the Mako3, I like it a lot.

I'm probably missing some. It's hard to remember them all.

I started with a Buzzz; came in my starter set.
Tried Wolf, Panther, Lucky, Stingray, Mako, Roc.

Currently I bag a Roc, Mako, Buzzz and Lucky.

Most of my drives and all of my approaches are with mids, so they're the core of my bag.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of disc golfers use a buzzz or roc as their mid. Did you go straight to those or have you thrown other mids before/after and found you liked something else more? What mids have you owned and which ones do you still use? Also, are there any mids that you would like to try?

I use a fast/slow combo. An ESP Impact and a QMS. Aside from my putter they are my two most used discs.

I've pretty much tried them all (except for some of the newer company stuff) and have settled in on Buzzz's and Meteors. Buzzz's handle most of the load, and Meteors are my go to turn right discs.

The Roc, Stingray and Cobra came out about the time I started playing. Those are still my main 3 mids.

Been playing with a Buzzz and comet from day 1.

Have added the wasp and drone over the years, but I had the main two midranges from the start