• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many own a retriever?

Do you own a Golden Retriever disc recovery tool?

• Yes

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 69 56.1%

• Total voters
i have one and love it. at the courses i play i have probably saved 80% of my water bound throws with it. one tip- add a carabiner to the end so you can clip it to your belt loop. you then don't have to worry about losing the rope out of your hand on the far throws

I like this idea. I always have my fiance hold the end but then, she stands right on top of my and I almost have to physically move her when trying to get at a different angle.

Also thought about a collapsable, tent pole for when its just out of reach, but not far enough where you want to unroll the retriever. One thing I was thinking of, if I could find something, is like a spring loaded reel to roll the rope up in that I could just hook to my hip and unreal as much as I need, then let it roll back up again.

That would make me pull it out a lot more if I didnt have to manually re-ravel the rope.

This is common sense, but be sure to secure the end of the rope or you'll have a disc and a disc retreiver in the water. My bad on the echo.

I'm going to get one of these things when I find one that is collapsible that is long enough. It's called a reacher grabber.

209-2T.jpg

I like this idea. I always have my fiance hold the end but then, she stands right on top of my and I almost have to physically move her when trying to get at a different angle.

Also thought about a collapsable, tent pole for when its just out of reach, but not far enough where you want to unroll the retriever. One thing I was thinking of, if I could find something, is like a spring loaded reel to roll the rope up in that I could just hook to my hip and unreal as much as I need, then let it roll back up again.

That would make me pull it out a lot more if I didnt have to manually re-ravel the rope.

youd look like batman!:clap:

I'm going to get one of these things when I find one that is collapsible that is long enough. It's called a reacher grabber.

209-2T.jpg

I have seen guys use these on the Giles Run Meadow course in NOVA. That course is full of HUGE thorn bushes lined along the fairways. They have been doing some clearing at the course, but if you ever throw one in those thorn bushes you can kiss it goodbye (unless you can see it). They use those arms to grab em a few feet in b/c if you get caught by one little thorn, the whole bush seems to grab ya!

209-2T.jpg

Friend of mine use to carry one around that extended to be about 3', which isnt a lot but sometimes all you need. He has gotten away from carrying it though, as it got a little troublesome.

youd look like batman!:clap:

Since Im not asian, I guess that is better than the asian kid from the Goonies, which I was thinking.

i have one and love it. at the courses i play i have probably saved 80% of my water bound throws with it. one tip- add a carabiner to the end so you can clip it to your belt loop. you then don't have to worry about losing the rope out of your hand on the far throws

good tip thanks

i practiced on dry land to get the hang of it, that really helps

I have a couple ideas for my retractable rope for the disc diver.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009WG6KM...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0009WG6KM

Or

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57616?pi=956642&qs=3012739-Google_Base

The 2nd one is more expensive and 10' shorter than the first one, but it doesnt list a weight, but sounds more portable and is designed to clip on to your belt.

What do you guys think?

Doesn't seem that the inside of these reels would hold up very well to all of the moisture that would potentially get trapped inside of the housing. The carabiner was a great idea.

Doesn't seem that the inside of these reels would hold up very well to all of the moisture that would potentially get trapped inside of the housing. The carabiner was a great idea.

Thats also where the 2nd one looks more appealing despite the shorter rope. It is made for hunters so I think it has to be set up to endure some elements.

Don't own one but thinking about building a small rake to keep in the car.

My buddy and i were actually just talking about how useful the "golden retriever" was during our last round.

Just to pile on though...

If you can see it you have a high probability of getting your disc back. If its deep, fast moving, or murky it probably less than 50-50 depending on how good of a look you got at where it went in.

Mine has saved or found 11 discs and counting since early december. Its worth the cash for sure.

My buddy and i were actually just talking about how useful the "golden retriever" was during our last round.

Just to pile on though...

If you can see it you have a high probability of getting your disc back. If its deep, fast moving, or murky it probably less than 50-50 depending on how good of a look you got at where it went in.

Mine has saved or found 11 discs and counting since early december. Its worth the cash for sure.

To me it just seems to small to find any discs.
but if you can see the disc from the edge seems like
it would work fine.

but i can build something that works just
as well for cheaper.

No need for one of these here in Charlotte, thankfully.... Though I DID happen to be playing a round with some guys I met at Glenn Hilton up in Hickory. I chucked it on hole 5 and, "Sploooosh!".... right in the water. All of a sudden this guy with our group puts down his Bud-lite tallcan and says, "Here... Let me help you wit' that...."

Commences to whip out this coat-hanger looking thing with a line attached (golden retriever) and fishes out my DX Cheetah. Let me also mention that I took the stroke penalty from the side of the creek and SAVED PAR with a 45 foot putt! WOO HOO! Thank you golden retriever.... you saved the day.... (and thank you guy with the tall-can wherever you are!)...

[cue song from the bud-lite commercials: "Real men of Genius"]

^^^ I actually did the same thing for some kid here in Ohio. They thought I was really cool so, its great to fit in with the cool kids.

Latest posts