• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people is considered too large of a group?

What should the largest dg group be at a course?

• 2 people

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3 people

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 people

Votes: 55 22.4%
  • 5 people

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • 6 people

Votes: 89 36.3%
  • 7 people

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • 8 people

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • 9 people

• 10 people

• more than 10 people

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters
Some of you guys make me sick.

The people that say anything over 4 is too much make me want to go to your home course with 12 people with not let you play through.

That is ridiculous. Your telling me if you see 5 people in a group you get pissed? Unless you are a bunch of ODOMs (one disc ownin mofos), drunk/high fools, or crippled, a group of 5 of 6 playing singles is no sweat off my back as long as you let quicker groups play through.

Singles can be to 5 or 6. Anything over that, you need to play doubles. I would say anything over 8 is too much.

For the guys that think 4 is too much, come to my home course. 4 is a small group. We have groups of 12 to 15 on the regular. Like 4 groups of 12 on one course at one time. THAT is stupid...not a group of 4 or 5.

I prefer to play in a group of four but I often play in a group of 8 or more. We always let people play through. One of the things I like about disc golf compared to ball golf is that the group max size is not limited to 4. I say the more the merrier.

Some of you guys make me sick.

The people that say anything over 4 is too much make me want to go to your home course with 12 people with not let you play through.

That is ridiculous. Your telling me if you see 5 people in a group you get pissed? Unless you are a bunch of ODOMs (one disc ownin mofos), drunk/high fools, or crippled, a group of 5 of 6 playing singles is no sweat off my back as long as you let quicker groups play through.

Singles can be to 5 or 6. Anything over that, you need to play doubles. I would say anything over 8 is too much.

For the guys that think 4 is too much, come to my home course. 4 is a small group. We have groups of 12 to 15 on the regular. Like 4 groups of 12 on one course at one time. THAT is stupid...not a group of 4 or 5.

Must be a regional thing. Groups of 12-15 is poor etiquette around here. Regardless, if you are in a large group, you should let all smaller groups play through.

I voted 4 because most times anymore than that and it's ridiculous waiting for people. That being said if you are moving quickly and not holding people up 6 would be fine, more if your playing doubles and are fast.

Like most of the statements here I think 6 is the max if you are respectful. We have a group of guys that like to shoot together and sometimes get to 6-7 people. If that happens we usually play dubs then and of course let all smaller groups play through unless it is a day where you are waiting on every tee anyways. I don't really care about the size of the group as long as you let the fast groups move through you.

I prefer to play in a group of four but I often play in a group of 8 or more. We always let people play through. One of the things I like about disc golf compared to ball golf is that the group max size is not limited to 4. I say the more the merrier.

max size of 4 in ball golf is enforced because there is a greens keeper or whatever you want to call him/her and a strict etiquette that must be followed or you may be kicked off or banned from the course. which brings up a good point...the free admission that we all love about disc golf may also be a downfall that brings about all of the no etiquette fools. I'm sorry but groups of 8 on a busy course is poor etiquette. I hear the argument that you can just let people play through but that kind of means that you will be sitting on the same hole for hours letting people play through until it slows down and nobody is behind you (which these big groups don't do). so what is the reason as to why groups of 8 can't be split up into two groups of 4??

i think the more professional that we portray our sport of disc golf, the more respect we will get. ball golf earns a lot of respect and has a strict etiquette. whereas disc golf doesn't. I think the DG community could learn a lot from ball golf with regards to etiquette and professionalism. They are both golf. But only one gets worldwide respect.

Last edited:
max size of 4 in ball golf is enforced because there is a greens keeper or whatever you want to call him/her and a strict etiquette that must be followed or you may be kicked off or banned from the course. which brings up a good point...the free admission that we all love about disc golf may also be a downfall that brings about all of the no etiquette fools. I'm sorry but groups of 8 on a busy course is poor etiquette. I hear the argument that you can just let people play through but that kind of means that you will be sitting on the same hole for hours letting people play through until it slows down and nobody is behind you (which these big groups don't do). so what is the reason as to why groups of 8 can't be split up into two groups of 4??

i think the more professional that we portray our sport of disc golf, the more respect we will get. ball golf earns a lot of respect and has a strict etiquette. whereas disc golf doesn't. I think the DG community could learn a lot from ball golf with regards to etiquette and professionalism. They are both golf. But only one gets worldwide respect.

Yeah, I have to agree with you here. Personally, I just don't find playing in groups larger than 4 fun for the reasons above, it's like driving a caravan 50 mph on a 65 mph road and holding up traffic, I just can't bear the shame. When I was in Ohio we had a group of like 9 or so, including boys and teens who've never played, I had to bicker like the dickens to get us split up into 2 groups but I think everyone understood why I did that after the round.

Its annoying to get behind a large group but I dont think its rude on the players parts to have a large group as long as they allow people to play through. Now tourney wise, 5 is the limit.

I can dig that.
but I'll also say that a welcoming group of advanced players gives me an opportunity to play with better players then I'd usually be able to, in a casual setting. If we split up, it'd most likely be am 1&2's here, 3&4's there. How am I suppose to get better from that?
I get the etiquitte thing, but I thought part of DG's appeal was a welcoming and friendly enviorment. Such as," you can shoot through or join if you like". That happens a few times then boom, you got a mob. Those players obviously wanted someone to shoot with.

I can dig that.
but I'll also say that a welcoming group of advanced players gives me an opportunity to play with better players then I'd usually be able to, in a casual setting. If we split up, it'd most likely be am 1&2's here, 3&4's there. How am I suppose to get better from that?

by practicing. you don't have to play in groups of 8 to play with more experienced players. that just sounds like an excuse IMO. do you feel lonely when playing with 3-4 other people?

i suggest getting in contact with a pro or advanced player and have them give you a personal training session and critique your technique. or even play in tournaments with more advanced players.

get the etiquitte thing, but I thought part of DG's appeal was a welcoming and friendly enviorment. Such as," you can shoot through or join if you like". That happens a few times then boom, you got a mob. Those players obviously wanted someone to shoot with.

I've never heard anyone say that playing in mobs is part of DG's appeal. Nothing wrong with a friendly environment but that doesn't mean that you have to play in mobs or show poor etiquette. Mobs on a golf course just look foolish and unprofessional and they're poor golf etiquette IMO.

I'd just like to see DG get the respect that it deserves. Because right now, we all know how the outside world views and perceives our game.

Out of curiosity, if you were playing behind a group of 13 and they waited for you at a tee and told you to play through (politely - not throwing on you) would that make you upset?

I don't really care how many people are playing, as long as they let us play through.

have never gotten upset about it. but 13??? I would be laughing pretty hard and making fun of a group of 13. barnum and bailey's goes disc golf...

A group of 13 should just stay home and enjoy their party where they aren't getting in the way of people who are actually trying to play some disc golf. but i guess not everybody is serious about the game or cares...

i'd even pay money to play certain DG courses if it meant they had a staff enforcing etiquette. throw out the druggies and the large groups and it would be money well spent.

just read the majority of posts on this thread...

Last edited:
have never gotten upset about it. but 13??? I would be laughing pretty hard and making fun of a group of 13. barnum and bailey's goes disc golf...

A group of 13 should just stay home and enjoy their party where they aren't getting in the way of people who are actually trying to play some disc golf. but i guess not everybody is serious about the game or cares...

i'd even pay money to play certain DG courses if it meant they had a staff enforcing etiquette. throw out the druggies and the large groups and it would be money well spent.

I'd definitely pay money to play certain DG courses if they had staff keeping the *******s out.

I suggest you try out some ball golf.

They'll keep people off the course for you.

Never have to worry about any of it.

I suggest you try out some ball golf.

They'll keep people off the course for you.

Never have to worry about any of it.

Plus you have the added bonus of not having to worry about the "image" tarnishing your stellar reputation. :rolleyes: