• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many rounds?

How many Rounds?

• One day two rounds

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Two day three rounds

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Two day four rounds

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Two day four rounds and final 9

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

NPCTour

Birdie Member
How many rounds do you prefer? One day two rounds, two day three rounds, two day four rounds, four rounds and a final 9?

for an A tier or other big tournament i like 2 days, 3 rounds, and a final 9 (for all divisions!)

for b and c tiers 1 day 2 rounds.

I think 4 rounds gives enough time for the best players to rise to the top. I also hate when I travel for a tournament and only Play one round a day. Ive taken the time away from my normal life, and I'd like to be able to maximize my competitive golf time.

In this order:
1. 1 Day, 2 Rounds
2. 2 Days, 3 Rounds
3. 3 Days, 4 Rounds (1-2-1, BG Ams)
4. 2 Days, 4 Rounds

I'm playing the Charlie Vettiner Open this weekend which will be 1 round of 27 holes Sat PM & 1 of 27 Sun AM (Pros/MA1 are playing the invert). I'm really thinking I'm going to like this format.

4 rounds over 2 days is burn out, and it almost always puts you on the road extremely exhausted. I'm cool with Final 9, though.

2 days, 4 rounds. Anything less feels incomplete, like I didn't get to finish my meal. And, like gcr_russell, I hate committing a day and only playing 1 round.

Though there is a place in my busy life for 1-day events. But they do feel more like a snack than a full meal.

No love at all for final-9s. Some people get to play---worse, when they're playing some safari layout---while everyone else gets a couple-of-hour delay for the awards to be over.

2 days, 4 rounds!! I like it this format the most because you really see who the "best" player wins, not some guy who had a fluke round winning it all

Welcome back again.

Oh yeah, my comment was for c tier, A tier is probably better as a 2 day event.

I'll append to my comment that I'm happiest if there's no "one size fits all" result---if TDs schedule both 1-day and 2-day events where players can choose what suits them.

In fact, at Stoney Hill we do just that. A 2-day, 4-round event in the spring, which is a real disc golf workout, and a chance to camp out on the course and make a weekend of it. A 1-day, 2-round event in the fall, for those who only want to give up 1 day, or for whom 4 rounds at Stoney Hill is a bit much.

What about Two Days, 3 full rounds, with a cut of 1/3 of the field to play in round 4?
or
Two days, 3 full rounds, with a cut of 1/3 of the field to play in round 4, final 9?

3 days is the best...
friday practice at hawk hollow, glow golf at the blockhouse
Saturday individual round and a doubles followed by ring of fire and distance driving
Sunday another individual round and doubles round.

Midatlantic meet is less than a month away :)

What about Two Days, 3 full rounds, with a cut of 1/3 of the field to play in round 4?
or
Two days, 3 full rounds, with a cut of 1/3 of the field to play in round 4, final 9?

Why have a cut for the final round, at all?

If I'm not in the Top 1/3----and often I'm not----I'd still rather continuing playing disc golf than go home early, or join a small gallery just to watch others play, or hang around for several hours awaiting the awards ceremony (probably because someone I rode with is cashing).

That was the point of the question. To get a different perspective on the format. When you look at it like that "wait on your ride b/c he is cashing" make good sense. Players ride together all of the time.

Or you could caddie for your friend since he made the cut. Regardless, you still want to play b/c you have committed your weekend to the event and would feel left with nothing else to do. Just an appetizer and meal, but where's the desert?

That was the point of the question. To get a different perspective on the format. When you look at it like that "wait on your ride b/c he is cashing" make good sense. Players ride together all of the time.

Or you could caddie for your friend since he made the cut. Regardless, you still want to play b/c you have committed your weekend to the event and would feel left with nothing else to do. Just an appetizer and meal, but where's the desert?

I'm still lost as to the "why" have a cut before the final round.

Is it to create a gallery, either to give the finalists a sense of drama, or to give the non-finalists a chance to watch them?

Or is it a reward for everyone to shoot for? "Play well and you can make the cut and play in the final round."

Or is there another reason a TD would consider having a cut before the final round?

Personally, regardless of the reason, I don't want to play in an event with a cut before the final round, other than Worlds. But that's a personal preference, others may differ.

Is this just a hypothetical question, or something you're thinking about doing?

I like as many days and as many rounds...but most of the time I can only make 1 day, 2 rounds. :(