• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] How many strokes to beat your roc?

chazman07

Par Member
I just started throwing rocs and I'm wondering how understable they can get. I converted from Fuses. I like minimizing molds which is why I switched.

Anyway, how understable can a roc truly get. I have all ranchos and prefer the KC, but I am beating DX for the understable slot. I like throwing the rocs flat and seeing the gradual turnover, but I'm wondering if/ how long before I can get a hyzer flip late turner.

It takes quite a bit of use, and it's a pretty gradual process. Mids and putters don't change flight characteristics nearly as fast as wide rimmed drivers. Have you tried pairing a comet with your rocs? It'll fill that role right out of the box and feels similar to a roc in the hand so it's a pretty easy transition between those two molds.

PHRASING!

took mine two years. search for the thread on beating a roc.

about 4 good forehand full power drives directly into a tree and my glow roc was dead straight, after another few weeks of light use it turns over slightly.

it all depends on where you play the most. If you play at courses that have more open fairways and less trees then it will take longer. If you play in more wooded courses then you could get a late turning roc a lot earlier than 2 years as posted by "elnino." I play mostly at Tyler State Park, Nockamixon, and Sedgley Woods. I've turned a brand new DX Roc into a slow turner after about 10 to 15 rounds after playing the three courses.

A Roc thrown on an Anny is just as good as a fuse and more predictable

If you are trying to turn a Roc into a pure turnover disc when thrown flat....thats a gradual process that takes lots of attention and love

it took me about a month and a half of heavy throwing to beat up a dx roc to where i wanted it. it fits your discription of a flat throw that turns right and doesn't come back.

PS, bic lighters are your friend. when you hit something and rash the disc up, heat it, shape it, love it. it'll treat you right.

I've found that the Flatter KC Pro Rocs are the ones that become more flippy after loads of use.

My Domey KC Pro Roc is beat as much as my Flat Top Roc.The Domey one is more Stable and flies far with a slow fade at the end.My Flat Top goes straight forever or I can get it to Turnover.I mainly use mine for the longer Straight mid range throws.

As someone mentioned earlier I would get a Comet.Get the Elite X one and if you like it get a Z Plastic one.The Comet will teach you how to throw properly and when thrown correctly can go very straight and doubles as a Turnover disc out of the box.

if he already has a Fuse why does he need to go out and get a Comet?

the Fuse is plenty understable/neutral

It takes a lot of abuse to make a rancho roc truly flippy. My main roc (180g glow dx rancho) is about 2 years old, gets used for multiple drives every round, and has some turn with a decent fade.

I'd use that Fuse you already have for the understable slot, until your roc gets flippy.

Or, you could find a beat up roc in the DGCR marketplace.

On a real note I used to own a rw pro ontario roc it was stupid flippy all I could ever get it to do was roll maybe it was the short lived wood pro junk plastic or the ontario mold idk only ontario I think I have ever thrown

find yourself an ONT roc if possible. I have found these to match what you want fairly quickly in the break in process. I have found ranchos to be the most stable of the roc family

On a real note I used to own a rw pro ontario roc it was stupid flippy all I could ever get it to do was roll maybe it was the short lived wood pro junk plastic or the ontario mold idk only ontario I think I have ever thrown

Your crazy. The rpro wood is the best roc available. I know I am in a small select group of people by saying that, but the wood roc is $$

i have a glo rancho roc that is pretty beat but will still fade when thrown flat.

found a champ ontario roc that is broken in and just flies dead straight. that will probably take a few more solid tree hits to get that late turn.

and i just traded my friend back for my bottom bar stamp rancho roc that is real nice and flippy. its only 171g though. so maybe try and find a light weight beat roc on the MP here or locally.

A Roc thrown on an Anny is just as good as a fuse and more predictable

You're using your Fuse wrong. :)

I just started throwing rocs and I'm wondering how understable they can get. I converted from Fuses. I like minimizing molds which is why I switched.

Anyway, how understable can a roc truly get. I have all ranchos and prefer the KC, but I am beating DX for the understable slot. I like throwing the rocs flat and seeing the gradual turnover, but I'm wondering if/ how long before I can get a hyzer flip late turner.

The new dx is crap...shouldn't take you long. I played a pickup round with a kid a couple weeks ago and his brand new dx was really close to that flippy stage - he said he'd played maybe 8 rounds with it with some tree hits. Didn't look too awfully beat up, but it was way less stable than I would have expected it to be compared to earlier plastic or KC. Keep your Fuse around for the time being and work your Rocs to where you want them, gradually or artificially.

Never thrown a Fuse.Does it have a Bead?

No. It has a little mini shelf slant thing like a Leopard but no beat. Very comfortable to grip.