• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Much Can TD's Take of the Total purse Now-a-Days...???

When someone gets a hold of hard figures for one of these TDs who are getting rich running tournaments, I'd sure like to see them. I've clearly been doing something wrong all these years.

As long as the payouts are where they need to be, I don't see why it matters if the TD has figured out a way to make money at it. They put on the tournament, do all the leg work involved, and we get to enjoy a day out at the park with friends, and maybe get a few discs, and or some cash out of it.

If you think DG is bad, try sailboat racing. Dump thousands on a boat, pay more than I have for any DG tournament to participate, and if you win, you get a flag. Yes, a flag. Disc golf gives more back to the participants than any other sport I have paid to participate in.

Thanks "most" TD's.

Do Countries outside of N.America not have these standards or...???
There's a separate TD report and payout tables for countries outside the U.S. and Canada.
http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-international-td-report
The payout percentage options are 25%, 33% or 40% for pro divisions for example versus 40%, 45% and 50% in North America. There aren't many Am players competing outside the U.S. which doesn't help with event finances. As far as management fees, each country association may have different approaches to what's appropriate regarding expenses.

When someone gets a hold of hard figures for one of these TDs who are getting rich running tournaments, I'd sure like to see them. I've clearly been doing something wrong all these years.

When you get those figures, please share with me...I'd like to see how to make money doing it too.

There's a separate TD report and payout tables for countries outside the U.S. and Canada.
http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-international-td-report
The payout percentage options are 25%, 33% or 40% for pro divisions for example versus 40%, 45% and 50% in North America. There aren't many Am players competing outside the U.S. which doesn't help with event finances. As far as management fees, each country association may have different approaches to what's appropriate regarding expenses.

Ahhh... this could be a big part of 'it'.

I never claimed these guys were getting 'rich' off of these tournaments but if the usual three to four players keep complaining why not produce your Cost Spreadsheet and shut them the hell up?

This is why I'm tempted to become the fourth or fifth person who wonders about this issue.

One guy gives out custom Custom Dyes on a disc and thats frickin sweet but in all these tourneys here it doesn't matter if somebody beats 5 players or 25 players. Still only three places get a trophy and maybe a coupon for a disc.

I'll find out more hopefully next week.

It's just that when I ran tourneys you gave the PDGA $3 and $2-3 to our local Series for each player, so it was only $5 a head, the rest went to prizes so even the AMII's at $15 a head were pumping in $10 each for prizes.

Here every division pays 20 quid(5 pound reduction down from 25 if you are a member) and no matter what the division size the prizes are all the same.

It is obvious the English play this sport because they truly Love it with the situation as it is. They don't brag or talk smack all that often because, well, they're English.
It's taking me only a small amount of time to realize this and I admire them highly for it.
The English just keep wondering why their numbers aren't growing and let's face it if you beat 10+ people in, I dunno Indiana? Then you're gonna win some $$$ or discs and here I can't see what's the appeal of paying to try and win a disc that costs less than your entry fee?

Maybe this IS like sailboat boat racing and they just love to see their names on our forum?
And that is 'reward' enough.

:cheers:

Waited too long to edit:

...It's taking me only a small amount of time to realize this and I admire them highly for it.
The English just keep wondering why their numbers aren't growing and let's face it if you beat 10+ people in, I dunno Indiana? Then you're gonna win some $$$ or discs and here I can't see what's the appeal of paying to try and win a disc that costs less than your entry fee?

-->EDIT: And to beat 10-15 players to do it for one disc or trophy?

It IS for the challenge, the "glory" and not the "prize". End EDIT<---

Nothing...???

Well, I'll guess I'll bump this with another question:

What do you think the BDGA could do to entice new players to Tourneys???

Last edited:
Its super easy for TD's to skim by opening "stores" on their own, charging 14 bucks for DX, and only paying out funny money to their own "store". Ams make shady people money. You can also fudge the numbers on lunches and other BS like that. Player packs may cost one thing, but the TD may have paid something different all together. Not saying this stuff happens all the time, but it happens. Well, it does happen all the time, like every Tuesday in the Twin Cities...

"Ams make people running a busines money" Corrected and since when was this wrong. If you don't like it don't play in any events.v

Nothing...???

Well, I'll guess I'll bump this with another question:

What do you think the BDGA could do to entice new players to Tourneys???

I don't think the PDGA does much to entice new players to tournaments. It seems much more a grassroots proposition. People are introduced to disc golf, usually by current disc golfers, and they get hooked on it, playing casually with friends. We invite them to our local weekly minis---mostly random-draw, captain's-choice doubles which are low-key, accepting of weak players, and an opportunity to meet other disc golfers. As they become regulars, they are encouraged to try tournament play, either a less-formal, non-sanctioned event, or one of the local sanctioned tournaments.

That seems to be the route most new players arrive at tournaments, at least around here.

Its super easy for TD's to skim by opening "stores" on their own, charging 14 bucks for DX, and only paying out funny money to their own "store". Ams make shady people money. You can also fudge the numbers on lunches and other BS like that. Player packs may cost one thing, but the TD may have paid something different all together. Not saying this stuff happens all the time, but it happens. Well, it does happen all the time, like every Tuesday in the Twin Cities...

oh snap taking a shot at the sundog!

Who is actually satisfied with the way sundog operates? And who doesn't just go running back to play more after bitching about them? I try to kill two birds with one stone by bitching about the dog during a dog round. Except when a Timmy apologist overhears me, things get ugly then...

Latest posts