• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much disc golf do you play//prevent injury?

dukdukgolf

Birdie Member
Hi, Wondering how much disc golf some of you play? Do you play every single day? If so, do you use any stradegy to prevent injury to your arm/wrist/hand.

For myself i throw alot of overhand and this year ive been playing almost everyday (at least for the last month or so anyway). Ive certainly noticed i need to ice up my shoulder most nights if i want to play the next day.

Im really wondering if people use any other techniques to keep your disc arms in shape. Im a little concerned about overplaying and causing injury. I generally will just use Ice for 30min or so and thats it.

Also any conditioning tip would be great also. I do some mild weight lifting and exercise bike currently but id love to learn a tip or two for disc golf.

ty all

dukdukgolf

Stretch out before and after round.
Throw less overhand...it's really hard on your shoulder. Get comfortable throwing BH.

I've played daily recently, and have not been sore the next day...but then I'm also not pushing my limits on the course. I throw for long distance about 4 times on the course...3 of those are pretty controlled, the last one is 400'+ hole and have to put it over some trees at the start, so that's my only all-out throw for 18 holes...

I suppose if I threw mostly overhand I'd be sore...

Last edited:
Also try following through more. If I was home I'd look up the video but essentially you can use exercise bands for shoulder work to build up deceleration muscles.

I suppose if I threw mostly overhand I'd be sore...

Definitely. One day I decided to go out and practice nothing but OH for over an hour. I could barely lift my arm afterward. My elbow is what hurt the worst. I put a frozen bag of vegetables on it for a while. The next day I was good as new.

I play almost every single day. Sometimes 2 or -- one in a while -- 3 courses in a day.

Personally, I'm never sore. I'm pretty flexible and fit as it is and exercise a lot (my roundrip walk to work is 5 miles x 5 days a week...plus the disc golf)

Staying active outside the sport helps tremendously IMO. You can't be a couch potatoe or anything and expect not to hurt after a long round (just speaking in gengeral). Muscle memory and stretching before and after games (like you would with a work out. And sometimes it is)

CAN ANYONE POST THE LINK TO THAT ARTICLE ON KEN CLIMO AND HIS DISC GOLF REGIMEN?

He talkes about how staying fit directly influences your game and tells you what he does. I think that'd help, but I just don't know where it is.

I throw almost exclusively backhand, and even after a 100+ hole day where my arm will feel a little tired at the end of the day, I can wake up the next morning and be ready to do it again. I've played 4 100+ hole days in a row and not felt any ill effects from it, and for a while I was playing 36 holes a day, 6-7 days a week and never felt like I was wearing out or needed to rest and recover. I would guess that fh and oh throwers would have a lot more issues with that kind of thing, those throws are a lot harder on your body.

just do a youtube search for exercise band, baseball. or resistance band, baseball. There was a specific brand that gave me the ideas, but I'll be damned if I know what it was called...

\/\/

I play almost everyday and on my days off it's not uncommon to play well over 100 holes.
Proper form, meaning less arm, made the biggest difference.
OH will take a toll, especially if youre throwing heavy overstables.

Oh, I have started taking a cartlidge rebuilder for my knees. It's not needed now but I figure it will be later.

I play just about everyday usually about 27 in the morning and then another 27 later in the day but there are always the 100+ days which last year before i learned about good form and what not used to hurt the next day but now that i pretty much throw exclusively BH i dont seem to ever have pain.

It has nothing to do with throwing sidearm or backhand. If anything, it's your form. If you keep your elbow in when you throw sidearm you will be fine. If you're throwing with a straight arm, then you're looking at injuries in the future.

But people throwing backhand can injure themselves with bad form so don't listen to the people telling you not to throw sidearm. That is complete BS. Keep your elbow in close to the body.

The first time I played 60+ holes in a day I couldn't even lift a beer to my mouth.

Now that I'm in better shape, at least disc golf shape, I can play 30-60 holes every day with little problem - my biggest concern is my knee, I tweaked it good a few weeks ago, it doesn't stop me from playing, but I still wear a knee brace every time I play and it is sore at the end of the day, I'm still limping around.

I'm 49 and play 3 or 4 times a week... sometimes 36 holes at a time. Being in shape is the most important thing as well as never straining when you throw... No matter what type of throw, forehand, backhand or overhand, use a smooth motion without resorting to full power. Speed of the disc at release is all that's important so you don't need to over muscle it to make good, long, accurate shots.

When I stopped muscling my shots, distance actually increased... along with greater accuracy. And no sore muscles!

I play 2-4 times a week, any where between 36-90 holes in a day, with 72 holes probably the most common. If anything is sore afterwards, it's my legs/feet (I need to get new shoes, stat!)

I do "maintainence" exercises on my upper back and shoulders. I hurt my shoulder about 6 months back and went to PT. Although better now, I still try and keep up on the strengthening exercises I was given in PT.

I find when throwing overhead shots if I don't follow through all the way my arm will be really sore. Don't use OH as much as I used to but when I do I make sure to follow through just like you would if throwing a ball.

I play almost every single day. Sometimes 2 or -- one in a while -- 3 courses in a day.

Personally, I'm never sore. I'm pretty flexible and fit as it is and exercise a lot (my roundrip walk to work is 5 miles x 5 days a week...plus the disc golf)

Staying active outside the sport helps tremendously IMO. You can't be a couch potatoe or anything and expect not to hurt after a long round (just speaking in gengeral). Muscle memory and stretching before and after games (like you would with a work out. And sometimes it is)

CAN ANYONE POST THE LINK TO THAT ARTICLE ON KEN CLIMO AND HIS DISC GOLF REGIMEN?

He talkes about how staying fit directly influences your game and tells you what he does. I think that'd help, but I just don't know where it is.

anyone have this regimen he talks about here? ty for info guys. Sounds like technique might be part of issue for me. More work on being smooth. I lift weights and ride exercise bike a few times a week but id love to see what Climo's regimen is.

I play 3 0r 4 times a week and I play baseball. We use exercise bands to keep us from getting tight. ALso scretch before amd AFTER a round. OH also isnt good for the shoulder. Im havingg surgery in a few weeks. TO many sports (ping pong, disc golf, and baseball) has woredown my shoulder.

I play 3 0r 4 times a week and I play baseball. We use exercise bands to keep us from getting tight. ALso scretch before amd AFTER a round. OH also isnt good for the shoulder. Im havingg surgery in a few weeks. TO many sports (ping pong, disc golf, and baseball) has woredown my shoulder.

surgery from ping pong?

I was a pitcher in my younger days and in college and our coaches always taught us is if you are going to throw a long throw use a good crow hop or a shuffle step. The overhand throwing be motion is naturally the hardest on your arm out of any other motion you throw, maybe next is sidearm. That's why fastpitch softball pitchers can pitch all day and the next day be ready to go at it again. Wheras even the most well conditioned pro pitchers need a couple days rest from being on the mound. So my advice to you is to look at a baseball player throw from the outfield (using the crow hop) and try to imitate that. That way you throw more with your body and less stress on the arm. Also the crow hop WILL give you more distance off the tee. Oh yea, and try get the backhand down while you are working on that too.

Latest posts