• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much does distance really matter?

only got a couple of pages into this but i can only imagine how badly this has been derailed by now, to the point;
OP, dont let anyone tell you that being able to throw 300 accurately and being able to putt is enough to be a "great" player, its simply wrong. It will make you a very consistent player, it will make you a very competitive player on a short course. But great? Some of these bigger am and most pro tourneys are not won by people who max out at 300 ft accurately and putt lights out.
You still need to be able to pump your drives when necessary, because the guy who throws 500 and cant putt is very rare when you start talking about "great players". Not saying every pro has a huge arm, but most are comfortable with having the ability to getting a drive to 400+ feet. Barry S. says 350 and putting is enough to win a lot of the time, im not sure if thats going to be true too much longer.

Moral of the story, Frank said it well, its like pitching and hitting in baseball, two entirely different skills within the same sport, but both equally necessary to win. You should still work on your D and how to control it as well as keep your putting sharp, because 1 or the other isnt enough.

I'm not, but I like to bounce ideas off the regulars here from time to time just to see if I am thinking clearly. I honestly don't know anyone that throws that far that is not an adv player, and most adv players are able to get up and down from most spots, and are pure cash money homey(forgive me, Randy Moss is our newest Titan) within 20'.

Well if you don't know anyone like that...

You are arguing with Frank. Clearly not thinking clearly :doh:

Discussing a topic to find its merit is not arguing, but carry on with your face slapping T. Also please note that none of the people that made the outrageous accuracy is everything claims have responded with a shred of evidence backing up their point.

if accuracy is everything, tuck your skirt in, and learn how to throw 450 accurately otherwise change the statement to "shortgame is everything"

IMO

Discussing a topic to find its merit is not arguing, but carry on with your face slapping T. Also please note that none of the people that made the outrageous accuracy is everything claims have responded with a shred of evidence backing up their point.

Jebus....try to make a funny and look what you get. You'll also note I actually made a meaningful comment up above, but continue to only pay attention to the points you are trying to make.

FTR - I agree with Frank on this one that there are multiple skills necessary to be really good at this game and you need to master them all. Throwing huge is necessary on certain courses, as is accuracy in approaching and putting.

Well I know a couple of guys in Rec who tear it up every time b/c they can throw 200' dead straight every time. Accuracy is at a bigger premium the lower down the skill level you go b/c less people possess it. And who are the majority of posters on DGCR? lower skill level ams. So they overvalue the thing they don't have.

meh
you need to have accurate distance on drives, and accurate placement on upshots
you need to be accurate with putts and if you can putt accurately from "distance" (30 - 40 feet out or more) then you likely win

I don't win
I don't have great distance, I often spray my drives, I'm still learning how to make a good second shot to take the pressure off a par putt, and I am not always accurate with my putting even inside of 20 feet

didn't someone say you need all aspects?

Throwing huge is necessary on certain courses...

You said some other stuff that I didn't pay attention to, but I read this part :hfive:

I'll close on this: I never said that throwing far was the most important part of the game. If I thought it was, then I would be practicing solely on throwing drivers in my yard instead of spending the last 4 month learning to throw Wizards and Buzzz's on hyzer and flipping them up to flat. I simply called bs on the people that downplayed the ability to rip drives 100' over the heads of your competitors. Not only is it a huge advantage on longer courses, but it can also be quite intimidating to the competition. Of course there are many facets to the game, but the OP asked how much does distance really matter. On a long course…say this one…

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3693

or more close to home for me

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=374

…distance is going to matter quite a bit.

You said some other stuff that I didn't pay attention to, but I read this part :hfive:

I'll close on this: I never said that throwing far was the most important part of the game. If I thought it was, then I would be practicing solely on throwing drivers in my yard instead of spending the last 4 month learning to throw Wizards and Buzzz's on hyzer and flipping them up to flat. I simply called bs on the people that downplayed the ability to rip drives 100' over the heads of your competitors. Not only is it a huge advantage on longer courses, but it can also be quite intimidating to the competition. Of course there are many facets to the game, but the OP asked how much does distance really matter. On a long course…say this one…

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3693

or more close to home for me

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=374

…distance is going to matter quite a bit.

I don't even know what the point of this thread is any more. I even went back and read the whole thing, and I still don't know.

I do know distance and accuracy are only important if you want to win.

I also know arguing (or discussing, whatever) with Frank is guaranteed to lead to confusion.

And who are the majority of posters on DGCR? lower skill level ams. So they overvalue the thing they don't have.

I think Garu told me this once before too Frank, and yes, I do forget this from time to time. But when I read all their posts, it seems they would have me believe that they all are top level players. I try not to embelish on the interwebs. I'm ok, not great on the web, just like in real life. Sorry if I hijacked your thread OP...my bad.

Re: The courses Slowroll posted

That second one is a great example of where distance can be an advantage. There a ton of holes in the 340-440' range that a pro or adv player would need to be able to at least have a decent putt for birdie on if they want to be competitive. The first one has holes so long that distance is almost negated unless the person you are competing against is outdriving you by 100' or so and the 500' holes are gonna require upshots from everyone except the top 5% of distance throwers.

Nikko suposedly practices 1000 putts per day which probably takes at least a couple of hours per day. I highly doubt he dedicates that much time to any other part of his game.

I am old....

I am an old skinny wuss who is out of shape and afraid of spiders. I enjoy both disc golf and golf. I can throw 270' on my best day. Yet I shoot in the mid 50s at all but the longest of courses. Why? Accuracy and course management. Disc golf, like golf, is a game of accuracy and course management. pure and simple.

The biggest strategic difference between the two games is you can take putting completely out of the equation in disc golf. Park your upshots under the basket and you never have to putt.

I see so many players go for very low percentage putts (30-40ft) and end up missing the comeback put, turning 3s into 4s and 4s into 5s or worse. Why not just lay it under the basket?

I see so many players step up to 300-400 foot holes and throw as hard and far as they can (which is pretty fun I must admit) even though they have virtually no chance at scoring a 2. Why not just play a smooth shot up the middle, leave yourself an easy approach, and take your 3?

At each hole, I decide if I am going to play for a 2 or a 3 (or 4 if the hole is really long). I dont take aggressive chances that have little chance of payoff, I play agressive on the easy holes and play for 3 on the tougher holes. I ALWAYS play to avoid penalties and avoid getting 4s wherever possible. 5s are totally unacceptable (except at Idlewild). It really is that simple.

Master the upshot from 150ft in from different angles and your scores will drop.

In disc golf, its all about the approach, until you get to elite level players that can drive every hole with accuracy.

I also know arguing (or discussing, whatever) with Frank is guaranteed to lead to confusion.

its that sinister smile with the upturned tongue to the top lip that gives that away...or maybe its the clown makeup....oh nevermind who care's, Frank is an integral part of this site.

Every hole at every course I play at is a par three. The longer holes in the area being around 375'-450' The longest over 500. I'm not exactly automatic when putting from 60+ feet so If I want to have a decent shot birdie those holes I better drive in the 350'-400' range. Which I do...But regardless distance definitely not overrated.

The depth percetion thing is very true as is the lesser value of distance over putting. There is also a large plateau in which the distance of your drives is basically the same and 30' here and there doesn't matter that much assuming similar accuracy. The range is from 310' to about 410'. This is a design flaw of courses IMO. That being said if you have played with someone that has very good power, well over 500', it totally changes the game. They can throw over things we (people under 420') wouldn't dream of.

I remember playing Acorn Park with a local pro with power around 600'. On hole 9, a 475' shot with 2 pinch points, he can reach the hole either by throwing over the top of the 2nd point or turning over a driver to go around it. For people like me I have to try to land just past the 2nd point at around 300' or risk being in a swamp or in the bushes. On hole 16, a 327' slight uphill, he can reach it with a Buzz when I have to use a TL or Orc. I am sure he would probably use teebird or something like that in a tourney but the point is made.

The biggest strategic difference between the two games is you can take putting completely out of the equation in disc golf. Park your upshots under the basket and you never have to putt.

I see so many players go for very low percentage putts (30-40ft) and end up missing the comeback put, turning 3s into 4s and 4s into 5s or worse. Why not just lay it under the basket?

I see so many players step up to 300-400 foot holes and throw as hard and far as they can (which is pretty fun I must admit) even though they have virtually no chance at scoring a 2.

In disc golf, its all about the approach, until you get to elite level players that can drive every hole with accuracy.

I'm deleted out some of the less relevant parts of your posts but

A) you can never take putting out of the equation. In fact your upshot game will become much better when you confidently know you can make putts from 30' b/c then you don't feel the need to be within 5' of the basket any more. A 60' radius is much easier to hit than a 10' radius.

B) Putts around 30-35' should really not be low percentage. If they are for you, you need to practice way more putting.

C) There is a large difference between a 300' and 400' hole. Even when I was playing Int I knew that I needed to be able to get birdie putts on 300' holes since almost everyone in that skill level can throw 300'. 400' holes are different but it seems to me that nowadays to win even at the Int level you need to have a 325'-350' drive which leaves you with a very short upshot.

I would argue that disc golf is all about the drive, not the upshot. In golf there are only 2-4 par 3's on any course so the drive merely sets up the approach to the green. In disc golf on any given course there are only 2-4 holes that are not drivable for many players and many course are all par 3s. Because of this, drives are at a premium and (unfortunately) the courses that place a premium on drives that set up a good second shot are few and far between.

Latest posts