• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Normal are Diamond TRs?

In my spreadsheet, I input a field for what the current dgcr rating of the course is. last updated in June 2021.
line 1 is Rollin Ridge 4.78. line 487 is Riviera Bay Pay 0.00.
for the courses I've played the rate of occurrence is pretty flat from between a 3.5 to 2.0.
the occurrence starts to become less and less common as the rating goes from 3.5 to 5.0 and 2.0 to 0.0.
Can you or Shadrach use that data to make a chart like Shadrach does? I don't know the specific name of the graph but its like a graph of a bar chart with the X axis from 0-5 and the Y axis is the number of occurrences. Does that make sense? The graphs would look like the ones that Shadrach started this thread with.

To be useful for the purpose of this thread, your data would have to assume that you play every course in your path for a truly random sampling, regardless of rating. How accurate is that assumption?

Can you or Shadrach use that data to make a chart like Shadrach does? I don't know the specific name of the graph but its like a graph of a bar chart with the X axis from 0-5 and the Y axis is the number of occurrences. Does that make sense? The graphs would look like the ones that Shadrach started this thread with.

To be useful for the purpose of this thread, your data would have to assume that you play every course in your path for a truly random sampling, regardless of rating. How accurate is that assumption?

I have to tweak the data set to produce a similar graph as DGCR ratings go by a hundredths of a point.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ratings 2.JPG
    ratings 2.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 244
I have to tweak the data set to produce a similar graph as DGCR ratings go by a hundredths of a point.
attachment.php

That's actually what I might expect a very experienced player/reviewer's graph to look like, especially if they are reviewing every course in a particular area, not just the good ones on road trips (like I do, though I am trying to hit all my local area courses at least once).

I am only just over 100, but I am finding that the more I play, the more, uh, nitpicky, er I mean discerning I am. Little things are starting to resonate with me more and more, and things I may not have cared about when I had played 10 courses now mean more. Also, in the area I moved from 6 months ago, there were quite few courses, so it didn't take as much to impress me, I was glad to have another course to play within an hour. But now, I have 8 of the top 15 courses in OH within an hour or so (and a few more on my list), not to mention Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild at under 2 hours in KY, so my 'impress' level continues to get higher.

Thanks again to all the diamond and other TR's! You have helped me so much on road trips!

Damn, you guys are way more tech savvy than myself. I don't take notes or make graphs. I play them all. I love writing reviews for ones that don't have any, or few.

To each their own. I feel I'm more in the mndisc camp. And knobby. I kinda hate reviewing top courses. Gimme a crap niner all day. I can tell you where hole 1 starts at. That's what I want to know.

Shadrach3,

Dave242 has 1900+ Helpful votes, but he will probably never get to Diamond TR. His review rubric is very consistent, though, so would you please make his chart?

I don't know the specific name of the graph but its like a graph of a bar chart with the X axis from 0-5 and the Y axis is the number of occurrences.

Just as an FYI, the term you are looking for is "Histogram"

Happy to oblige, Olorin.

Attachments

• Dave242 curve.PNG
    Dave242 curve.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 58
Did the obligatory/narcististic 6 month check-in and saw this. Golf clap for a beautiful bell curve. Cool analysis you have done, Shadrach! Good work!

It is a down right travesty that you aren't a diamond TR. Love your reviews. :thmbup:

It is a down right travesty that you aren't a diamond TR. Love your reviews. :thmbup:

Dave chose not to actually review courses for many of his reviews. He simply issued letter grades. The reason his voting numbers are so bad is because an overwhelming reviews don't say a single thing about the course. So, when you're asked to decide if his review was helpful or not, it's easy to see why his ratio is so poor. Here's a refresher of the copy and paste review template he used:

Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Shadrach3,

Dave242 has 1900+ Helpful votes, but he will probably never get to Diamond TR. His review rubric is very consistent, though, so would you please make his chart?

How man unique are needed for Diamond? Could we ask people to thumb a review to get him there?

Dave chose not to actually review courses for many of his reviews. He simply issued letter grades. The reason his voting numbers are so bad is because an overwhelming reviews don't say a single thing about the course. So, when you're asked to decide if his review was helpful or not, it's easy to see why his ratio is so poor. Here's a refresher of the copy and paste review template he used:

Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

His reviews are helpful though. Here is an example of one of his reviews:

Here is what I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses (over 260 played so far)....tied for 10th place:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
(Amazing in this category overall - very appropriate for Blue level players. All the open holes provide a challenge, even though punishment is minimal for mistakes. Several of the wooded holes are on the "plinko" side (gaps too narrow to navigate by skill - luck factors in a little too much for my liking), but only hole 24 is a true "poke and hope" fairway.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me (I rate only from the long tees). I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == A
(This course is almost perfect in this regard. The 2-3 must-have/gimme birdies are balanced out by hard Par 3s. In my book, my only very minor quibble is 11 (353' - hard 3) & 18 (389' - easy 4) holes in the woods are tweener holes almost always leaving a non-challenging upshot since they are too tight to go for, so conservative play will almost always get you within 100-150'.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography. == A+
(Perfection! As stated in #1, the open holes force accurate landing even if specific flight paths are not forced. The wooded portions force you to make a wide variety of specific shot shapes. And, you are bound to be majorly tested in your creative recovery game.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A+
(The front is a beautiful manicured park, but very remote and isolated from other activities - other than the first and last 2 holes. The back/wooded section (13 holes) is as beautifully wooded as anywhere I have ever been! And, completely secluded from civilization and road noise. Stunning!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == 2 bonus points (out of a possible 5)
(The 5 Par 4s are appreciated, but 2 of them were very short (4 & 18), and the long open ones (9 & 26) did not necessarily reward great placement on the drive. I was very fortunately to run into Greg Kurtz (designer - very much enjoyed meeting you and the gang) and he asked me for thoughts/suggestions....after hearing me out on my effusive praise. I mentioned the only improvement I can think of is adding better Par 4s that have defined landing zones which reward ideal placement within, and make it a real challenge to achieve par if you are in a non-ideal part of the landing zone. There seems to be room in the park for this....but that is my impression only.)

PS: I grade courses on a school grading system...60-100 with no F's and the average/center point being a B-....been doing that for a long time and started transferring my ratings list to the similar 11 level rating system here when this cool/amazing site came online.
I gave this course a grade of 96....which is the low end of an A+, but translates a 5.0 on the DGCR scale. This course benefited slightly by having 27 holes - filler holes are forgivable and more variety is possible.

How man unique are needed for Diamond? Could we ask people to thumb a review to get him there?

250 unique voters minimum but he has too many thumbs down to qualify anyway.

"In addition to the above requirements, your unhelpful vote count must be less than 45% of your total helpful vote count to qualify as a trusted reviewer."

250 unique voters minimum but he has too many thumbs down to qualify anyway.

"In addition to the above requirements, your unhelpful vote count must be less than 45% of your total helpful vote count to qualify as a trusted reviewer."

Yes, I have also found Dave242's full reviews very helpful. If my math is right his reviews would need 100 or so positive votes with no negatives to reach the 55% helpful vote threshold.

No idea about unique voters, though.

Why so concerned about Dave being a TR? He's posted one review in the last decade. He's made it clear he doesn't care about reviews or what other people think of them. It's a little disingenuous to make a push for a bunch of reviews posted in '09, '10, and '11.

Why so concerned about Dave being a TR? He's posted one review in the last decade. He's made it clear he doesn't care about reviews or what other people think of them. It's a little disingenuous to make a push for a bunch of reviews posted in '09, '10, and '11.

If he doesn't care I don't either, but it stinks he didn't get it with 1900 thumbs.

If he doesn't care I don't either, but it stinks he didn't get it with 1900 thumbs.

That goes back to the issue of votes and their complete irrelevancy. For the people who go out of their ways for thumbs, have at it. As for Dave, he was one of the OGs on this site.

Amongst other OGs, in the Carolinas, a guy named Tyson wrote dozens of reviews. If you looked at his profile, you'll see how many of his reviews only got 2 or 3 votes.

That goes back to the issue of votes and their complete irrelevancy. For the people who go out of their ways for thumbs, have at it. As for Dave, he was one of the OGs on this site.

Amongst other OGs, in the Carolinas, a guy named Tyson wrote dozens of reviews. If you looked at his profile, you'll see how many of his reviews only got 2 or 3 votes.

There are a ton of people/courses that are under viewed and under appreciated for sure. Especially back in the early days, wouldn't say I'm an OG, but I've been on the site a long time and have benefitted from their work so it's nice to get them recognized when possible.

I didn't realize the whole story with Dave, having never been on the forums until the last few years. I mentioned something about liking his reviews awhile back and was PMed but a very reputable source about his situation. I was unaware of any of it. Someone else can get into that whole thing if they want to.

I will say, personally, that I found his reviews helpful when I was a newbie course bagger. But like Craig said, that was 10 years ago or so. It seems to have been a messy situation probably best left in the past. He's gotten a number of thumbs up from me though.

Latest posts