• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you 888, DNF rounds in league play?

I've ran our local league for 2 years.
DNF situations have come up a lot, and the problem is that an L-Tier is very different than a tourney. Since it's only one round the whole let the TD know you can't play is not very feasible. If you register and start, then your playing. If an emergency comes up or you get injured or stung by fire ants (yes this happened and the player texted me) then it's tough to have the 999 when you already started and it's only 1 round.
I have had a few guys say " F#%*" it and
Quit and they got 888's.

In this whole thread I don't think people are realizing this was league not a tourney.

The 999 & 888 rules are just not clear for leagues.

We play different courses, so often DNF's seem to come up at the big OB course and not the woods course.

A DNF ends up not counting in our league where it's a "best of" like this fall is best 5 out if 8 allowing folks to only have to complete 5 rounds to cash. The aforementioned thread was asking what other league directors do when league players DNF.

I think the big thing that league and tourneys should have different DNF rules. Since league is only one round at a time.

I do like the debate though.....
I know it's league play, but sanctioned play is still governed by sanctioned rules. I think it's actually much harder to legit DNF a one round event that is typically around 2 hrs total vs a C-tier that takes a full day. Even still quitting for a sorry ass excuse like a lost disc should face a penalty like deducted points even if it's just league points, or maybe a one or two week suspension from league play. I'm not really a fan of PDGA sanctioned leagues.

I agree with you Sidewinder.
Quitting because you lost a disc is unsportsmanlike but it's tough for me to 888 someone in league. Just doesn't seem like it's the same level as a 2 round tourney.

On the side we do DGU performance scoring and it works well as if you don't finish you don't get any points at all.

I agree with you Sidewinder.
Quitting because you lost a disc is unsportsmanlike but it's tough for me to 888 someone in league. Just doesn't seem like it's the same level as a 2 round tourney.

I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to award a 999 rather than an 888, however, what bothers me is that it violates a basic principle of disc golf: the principle of risk-vs-reward.

Any player with more than a modicum of experience—and, certainly, anyone capable of competing in the SECO meets that criterion—knows full well that any time you throw a disc there is a possibility that you could lose it, either because it's irretrievable or due to damage.

If the disc was important enough to quit a league round over in order to have it available for the SECO, he shouldn't have been throwing it in the first place, so why did he still choose to throw his go-to disc, despite the forseeable risk?

Regardless of the actual degree of risk, by choosing the immediate potential reward (a better lie for his next throw) over the potential future risk (not having the disc for the SECO), he implicitly accepted both the risk of losing it AND ALL the possible consequences that could arise if it were lost, one being an 888 for dropping out to look for it if it ended up lost.

If you're gonna do the crime, you gotta be willing to do the time.

He gambled. He lost. He should accept the consequences.

Latest posts