• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you make 50 footers?

I think one of the biggest things helping my confidence from deep C2 is to be great at making those potential 20' comebackers. I know I'm not going to end up more than 20' away most of the time on those attempts, where I'll knock down 90% of them, and it's usually not as far away as that. I'm going to ring up around a quarter of my 50' bids, so I'm gaining strokes even with the occasional 3-putt.

I usually am making at least one from C2 in every round, often more. I'll miss a 20-footer probably every third or fourth round. Unless there's a lake behind the basket in C1, this confidence helps me enjoy the big bids and make more of them.

Putting is fun!

In reflection to what I stated above. I measured were I practice putting, and it's 60' at its longest station. Depending on the stance, and my accuracy. I can go anywhere from 0 up to 7 makes out of 10. i.e. Deadly to absolute garbage. But, my comeback putts with the missed putts are usually under 10'.

No obstructions, little to no wind effect, open throw to the basket - how often do you make 50 footers? In these situations are you always trying to make or are there times when you just lay up?
Just curious how better players look at a 50 foot shot; I'm still a new player (that's very lousy) and with 50 footers I usually just lay up, as my make % when I do go for it is about 10%.

I always go for it even out to 100ft. I use what I call a 'flop putt' so when I miss, my return putt is easy. I'm not good. I'm probably 1 to 5% but it doesn't hurt my score to try. But I do make it sometimes and the rare instance I make it is friggin awesome! Last week I had an 80fter tink off the post and sit there. Not bad at all :)

People that are good bang it in there and if I used their style, I'd be three putting all day :/

I always go for it from that range. I practice up to 80' and feel pretty comfortable 60' and in. Not saying I'm making them all at that range but I feel confident I'll at least hit metal and avoid a 25' come back putt.

Make % varies depending on the day. Some rounds I'm hitting around 50% of them it feels like, others more like 10%. On average I'd guess I'm getting 3 or 4 out of 10.

Playing about 3 months, and I average about 1 in 10 from 50', but I am still improving for sure. I have made 3-4 while playing. Played a round Friday, best disc teams, me and my son vs my nephew and a friend. I made a 50-60 footer on hole 6 for birdie. Score was tied after 9. We played a one hole tiebreaker on hole 4. My son parks a great drive 10' from the basket. They are 50-60' away, game on the line, and my nephew knocks it down with his favorite Buzzz. Birdie-birdie, still tied. We played nine more for tie breaker, their putting fell apart a bit, and we won by 2-3 strokes. Well, yesterday, after playing, I threw practice discs on 4, landed one in the exact spot where my nephew made his 50-60 footer, and I nailed the same putt TWICE in a row with my two Soft Magnets. I am not even going to tell anyone - first, they might not believe me, and second, I don't want to take away in any way from what my nephew did, nailing that putt to tie up an OT hole with the game on the line.

Last edited:
I always go for it from that range. I practice up to 80' and feel pretty comfortable 60' and in. Not saying I'm making them all at that range but I feel confident I'll at least hit metal and avoid a 25' come back putt.

Make % varies depending on the day. Some rounds I'm hitting around 50% of them it feels like, others more like 10%. On average I'd guess I'm getting 3 or 4 out of 10.
Wow, that's great putting!

I rerolled my stats and put more points into putting and took a few away from distance. Seems to be working out well for the courses I play, lol.

I don't make many on the course, in a round. I can make a much higher percentage in the backyard. By 'higher' I mean 20% compared to 10%. My miss is low left, cage or chain out. I am trying new techniques though, with more Buhr-style wrist action… I can make it to the basket now from c2 edge, instead of landing short. Sometimes the step putt is working though- I never can tell.

One of the reasons I like a spin putt style is I can use essentially the same putting motion as I do from 15' out to 60-70'. If I want to I can run it from further out with a jump putt, but the make % for me from 75'-100' is so low I typically lay up. Especially in a scored round.

I spent many hours this spring trying to switch from Spush to spin. I can spin ok now when I need to. My Spush misses are 5 footers. My spin misses are 25+ feet. My step putt is spin, and I use that for low clearance. Distance definitely requires a spin putt, or a crap-ton of height.

I spent many hours this spring trying to switch from Spush to spin. I can spin ok now when I need to. My Spush misses are 5 footers. My spin misses are 25+ feet. My step putt is spin, and I use that for low clearance. Distance definitely requires a spin putt, or a crap-ton of height.
Yep, spin putts are a lot less forgiving if you air ball. Bright side is you get extra putting practice that way :p

Anything between 35 and 60 feet and I step-putt or jump-putt, if I am able. I recently added these putts to my game after seeing Hammes and Conrad make it look easy. It isn't, but once you get the feel for it, it becomes easier. I practice at the house from 35 feet. I also own 40 practice putters, (lots of different molds from an Aviar to a Zone), so I can throw 120 putts in less than 20 minutes. The only way to build muscle memory is repetition. It doesn't matter what type of putter you use during practice; it is more about being comfortable with the throw and learning the motion (and not foot faulting).

From a standstill at 50 feet, I might make 1 or 2 out of 10. Using a step-putt, more like 2 to 4 out of 10. For me, a step-putt flies straighter with little to no fade (using a G Star Roc 3 or a Loft putter), which means I draw a lot of metal. So, my misses generally finish close enough not to be a problem, even if I airball one. I had a round recently in which I attempted 6 step-putts and made 4 of them (2 for Birdie, 2 for Par). Great shot to have if you can figure it out.

I would be an awful participant in stat keeping for putting percentages. When I do the Jyly game my putting percentages from 7-10 meters is usually about the same (70%), when I do 10-15 meters I am usually about 40-50% for everything 12m out.

Yes I am a fairly aggressive spin putter, I don't step/jump most days unless there is a slope or reason to take a softer run, my step putt has more loft. I bogey far far more often from 3 putts than bad drives or approaches...

Maybe I'm a pro?
The best MPO players on tour make about 20-25% of 50-foot putts.
I do not doubt your info, but I 'feel' like I watch them can those 50' putts every tournament. Maybe I'm watching 8 different guys hit 6 putts, and the numbers are exactly what you say because those 8 constantly rotate which two miss.

Maybe I'm a pro?

I do not doubt your info, but I 'feel' like I watch them can those 50' putts every tournament. Maybe I'm watching 8 different guys hit 6 putts, and the numbers are exactly what you say because those 8 constantly rotate which two miss.
50 feet is 17 feet behind the start of circle 2. About halfway between circle 1 and circle 2. There are not many opportunities from that distance, let alone makes. Many more happen from just beyond circle 1. A putt from the edge of circle 1 is a lot easier than a putt from 50% farther away. The apparent size of the target is 56% smaller.

50 feet is 17 feet behind the start of circle 2. About halfway between circle 1 and circle 2. There are not many opportunities from that distance, let alone makes. Many more happen from just beyond circle 1. A putt from the edge of circle 1 is a lot easier than a putt from 50% farther away. The apparent size of the target is 56% smaller.
Today...
One round...

None...

Latest posts