• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often should baskets be moved?

As long as the markers (washers on the the tee pad sign post with A,B,C etc. stamped on them) are accurate, I like it to be mixed up every couple of days. I hate playing the same layout more than 1 week in a row. I love the different combinations of pin positions that can make up a round and how that affects the play during the week for tag rounds and dubs. Mix it up!

I'm not a big fan of multiple pin placements and moving baskets but, if it's going to be done, and if there's a decent system for indicating which position a basket is in, I see no drawbacks to frequent moving. Other than for the person doing the physical work.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with it too much. Within 60 miles of me there is only 1 course that has multiple pin placements, though it is one I play fairly regularly.

That is a good idea, but only if everyone has a smartphone on hand. I don't even bring my phone with me during a round and don't plan on it (who needs extra distractions when trying to throw?) so that would be useless to me. Even if I started bringing my phone, why should I be required to have a smart phone with a data plan just to find out the location of the pin? Just have a place on the sign to show where the pin is. No need to bring in extra unnecessary technology.

I actually agree with you seeing as I don't yet have a smartphone myself. That said I am typically playing with someone who has one...

I am not saying this is the best solution but it is a step in the right direction. I forget which course it was, it may have been Dretzka, where one of the tee signs had a pushpin indicating which pin location it was. Good idea except I see signage broken all the time and the push pin can easily get lost or stolen. Still it is a simple solution to the problem.

Vallarta-Ast, better known as Token Creek has 3 pin placements (red white blue) and they tend to get moved every 2 weeks. For me that works great, right as I get tired of one setting it gets moved. Very easy to tell which setting at start, they are always ALL red, white or blue. Great color signs on every hole helps and you can see pin 1 and know what the rest of the course will be set on before you tee off. Also they move the practice basket at same time, has really helped control erosion and compaction at the course alot

Someone at Ann Mo moves 1-4 baskets every week, and its just enough to spice things up when you haven't played for a few days.
One day playing Sunday dubs I threw at the A pin position on #4[where it had been the evening before], only to have one of our card mates say[the moment I released the disc, the @%#&*$], "You know they moved the basket, don't you?"

On the subject of indication of pin placement on the tee sign: Whistler's Bend has a 1/2" hole for each pin placement that a stick can be put in to mark the location. Granted, it can be manipulated by unscrupulous competitors, but that's what the Nuke is for. ;)

Last edited:
We shuffle our basket locations around every 4-6 weeks. The layout is typically determined to coinside with the layout necessary for the next club monthly event. I.e. the next basket shuffle will be for the Ace Race layout.

Tyler State park hs 3 pin locations on every hole and they change the layout every 3-4 weeks and when they host their big A tier every year they try to get everything in C postion about a month before the event so everyone can practice and might keep it in C pin up to 1-3 weeks after the tourney as well

We have one course that has 2 pin placements. They used to get moved every month. They would normally go all long, odd long even short, all short, then odd short even long, and back to long. But now they only go long to short all the way around and it's only like every 3-4 months it seems like. I definitely like the old way but its the clubs decision and noone seems to mind.

Back when I was in Lexington I had a basket rotation schedule set up to where I would move 1/2 the baskets on each course once a month and the baskets on the 9 holer every other month. This gave the greens/pin locations a chance to rest for a few months and made it alot easier than having to move all of the baskets if you were doing it solo. If we had a big tournament coming up I would leave the baskets off the green we were going to use for said tournament for an extra amount of time especially during the winter when most erosion damage occurs.
Generally it was Shorts/Easy during the winter Hards/Long during Lex Open then on to the rotation with our Fall tournament (Super Summer Slammer) being a mix of pins.

Move it anytime, I don't care one way or the other,
but...
Have some sort of sign or indication in the tee area where the basket is (assuming a blind throw).

Put in the "tourney" positions some days before the tourney.

We usually move them once a month in between rounds at our monthly.

Latest posts