• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how old is to old for a putter

There is someone in my area who uses 20 year old Rattlers and get 80% from 45 feet. :|

A friend of mine uses a completely THRASHED Soft-X Banger GT for all of his putting duties (anything 40ft in) and sinks putts consistently.

And when I say thrashed, I mean it. The "Groove-Top" isn't even an indention along the top of the disc anymore, its like a "Bubble-Top" now or something... Very hard to describe. We played catch with his putter for a bit after a round and it wanted to do nothing but turrrn.

Here are some of my trashed putters that still get some action here and there.

No bead left, super broke in.
72756_g.jpg

No bead left, major taco from slamming a forehand putt into the chains in 0 degree weather
80239_g.jpg

No bead left, flight plate is super inverted and the it's peelage has caused it to drop like 4 grams in weight.
82882_g.jpg

I have seen such putters. Generally speaking they don't beat in too much that you can't at least putt with them. As fart as driving with them thats another story. Drivers on the other hand, once they get too beat, they are too understable to do much good other then rollers.

Am I the only one who caught this? Sorry, couldn't resist :p

I have a beat SSS Voodoo that I love so much, but I get angry b/c it's white which is not difficult but annoying to play with in the winter. I can always find it but have to search. I've finally got a blue SS beat enough to take it's place in the winter.

never had anyone i know reject a putter for being too worn in. if anything, they treasure it more. it will probably serve various roles as it ages.

I use the avair dx glo, that was passed down from my uncle. It has seen at least 15 years, but still in good shape. I switch it up to the new star dart when im trying to bust a slump. I just love the feel of the softer star plastic.

Attachments

• DSCN0583.jpg
    DSCN0583.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 14
Am I the only one who caught this? Sorry, couldn't resist :p

I saw it too, my inner 6 year old feels kind of alone... but at least it is laughing.

Also a buddy of mine has an old old old Aviar P&A that he would probably cry if he lost it. The flight plate is lumpy as all get out.

I have a 9 year old Medium Wizard in my bag that I love for upshots and long putss. I used to have a 1st run SS Wizard in my bag that was trashed and flew more like a magnet, but I lost it a couple years ago :(.

That being said, I prefer a stable to overstable putter for most of my putts since I find it a little more predictable. Beat in putters are great for longer straight putts.

use it until you loose the confidence in it, then cycle.