• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how to add distance

gabster10001

i throw my putter 250 my mids 260 and my divers 300

i want to get my drivers past 300ft

the drivers i throw are eagles and a surge
i throw rhbh

how can i add more distance

Try watching some of the videos on YouTube, it helped me out alot. And as mentioned, Practice, Practice, Practice.

IMO;
practice is important, but if your doing it wrong, youll never get better.
Form is much more important, the thing is with my experience, your form may differ from what some consider 'proper form', and may work for you. The idea being adjust your throw and find what works for you best starting with what others recommend.
I kid you not, embarrassingly, my longest throw happened when i tripped at the end of my throw, the oldest disc i have a first edition champion beast went 350 +. That thing just kept going and took me forever to find it.

Last edited:
Practice.

Well done if you are getting a putter out to 250'. I hope you are not chucking them as hard as you can. Make sure you are really reaching back, and pulling across your chest. Honestly, keep practice throwing at 70% power. Your distance will increase with time. I would try out a Blizzard disc (150 Katana would be good). Don't practice chucking the discs as hard as you can. Throw slowly, and focus on form, not strength.

The towel drills really helped me jump forward in distance. Just remember to let go of the towel, cuz I wasn't and it introduced some nasty griplock into my throws.
Also, focus on the eagle and leave the surge alone for a bit. I was using a star eagle and a flx surge, and discing down from the surge to just the eagle really helped me get everything out farther. And yeah, what Shawn said; try to limit your driving power to 70-80%, and you'll do better at maintaining accuracy while throwing farther, as well as getting smoother, longer distance easier. Driving from a standstill helps too. It makes you focus on moving the disc, and not how your feet are moving.

Or go the other route, and start forehanding a Boss. It probably won't help your form or accuracy though.

Agreed just practice, work on your form and getting your body behind your shot. ^^^^That video has a lot of really good pointers in it

WorldsCoolestGuy Check this out.

i was gonna post that EXACT video

Displayname Or go the other route, and start forehanding a Boss. It probably won't help your form or accuracy though.

and DO NOT do this. haha. i did this and i can barely forehand a Pred w/out turning it over

Last edited:
Like ShawnB said - do not throw with max power, slow and smooth is far !

Do not throw the disc up in the air, that stalls it, throw it flat/down, the down/nose-down will make more sense once you get better at throwing it flat.

Pretend you are pulling it on a straight path along the kitchen counter top.

Disc must be in close to your chest as you pull thru - MUST.

Disc must rotate, a non-rotating disc does not go far, so throw flat, with good timing where your weight is not behind you, and rotate the disc at release - with good timing, it will pull out of your hand and trigger more rotation.

- KEEP A CHECKLIST - keep a piece of paper and a pen with you, write notes, and then review the notes when on the course practicing - write notes about pulling smooth on a flat plane, no OAT (off axis torque, dont crank the disc over), weight forward, hips turning, following thru, etc.

One thing I took from the Feldy video posted above - on drives, press down with the pad of the thumb versus just the thumb and fingertips, it helps !

A new Star Eagle is an Eagle-X and is pretty overstable, I think the Eagle comes after getting good with a Teebird, experienced players can smooth a Teebird out 400+ feet.

Always have fun !

Field practice is a big help too.

Most players I see struggling with distance are under rotating their body, accelerating their pull-through too early, and not getting their weight forward.

Yell... it's scientifically proven that yelling gives you more horsepower.

Video yourself and compare your form to pros. I'm searching for more distance too and have started documenting the process. I've found that adjusting your habits slowly helps. Don't try everything at once. First question I asked myself was, "am I leading with my hips?" I discovered I wasn't, so now I'm practicing that. When that becomes comfortable I'll move on.

After watching the pro clinic posted on the previous page of this thread, I realize that a major problem of mine is rotating on my toe, not toe-heal-toe. Are there any drills to help emphasize this transition?

With that amount of information... We can not say anything specific about your distance problems.

Take a video of yourself throwing and post it here.

Or just take general comments like "you gotta lean forward" and see if they apply to your situation.

Anyway. How on earth do you expect us to help you when you provide next to no information whatsoever.

sorry about the lack of specifics that i do wrong i dont have any because i dont know what my shot seemed to be good , but after watching that video i noticed i throw a little high and i dont rotate on my heel

Practice with putters first, then move up to understable stuff. It will show you the flaws of your form

Try watching some of the videos on YouTube, it helped me out alot. And as mentioned, Practice, Practice, Practice.

^^^This! Watch video of the top pros throwing big drives, and then go out to an open field and try to imitate what you saw. Disc stability isn't that big of a deal. Just study video of big D throwers, and practice imitating them.