• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Confront a Pay to Play Abuser?

ron-burgundy-that-escalated-quickly.png

A sticky wicket to be sure.

I sense that you fear reprisals for harsh treatment of this individual, and it's wise to think through your strategy before acting.

The 'official' remedies are plain and you can always avail yourself of them, but I'm wondering if there's any way for you to get this guy on your side. Maybe if you knew more about his motivations and current situation, you could talk to him 'like a man' explaining your position and the impact his behavior has on your facility. Maybe he has a needful service or skill, which he might trade for golfing privileges?

My point is that even if dude turns out to be a bit 'cheesy', it might be better that he's your friend, rather than someone angered by alienation (even if it's his own fault)...and in the event you must deal with the authorities, the more you know about dude (like if he's the state senator's son...), the stronger your hand.

for what it's worth...

Pay a high school kid to collect the fee for a week. Have them setup a chair at the first tee and if anyone argues have them call the cops.

Randomly doing this a few days a month would give people the message.

Pay a high school kid to collect the fee for a week. Have them setup a chair at the first tee and if anyone argues have them call the cops.

Randomly doing this a few days a month would give people the message.

that.....actually is a good idea.

I would also make a nice sign / poster that in a NICE way encourages people to pay, lay on a little guilt trip ;) but really explain WHY its pay to play and the work that goes into it and why its PAY....also , encourage Season pass, and maybe drop season pass to 40 or 35, that will make it easier for people to buy that than thinking "Well I only play here 3-5 times" If its 50, I don't pay a season pass unless I know I play the course at least a dozen times....There are 3 courses here that share a season pass which is nice, but I buy it every year and end up only playing like 4-5 times tops, and its a $40 pass, so that shy's me away.

Do you pay state and federal taxes on the DG course revenue? If not you are running an illegal business and the most you could possibly ask of someone is a donation.

I can almost guarantee there is a profit being made. I am not hating on the course, but to take legal action against a non-paying player could open a can of worms.

You clearly have no idea how any business is run, much less a private disc golf course.

I can almost guarantee there is a profit being made. I am not hating on the course, but to take legal action against a non-paying player could open a can of worms.

What does that have to do with anything?

He has every right to set whatever rules regarding his property and seeking legal action such as booting someone from the property will not open any cans of worms.

I can almost guarantee it.

So this guy plays the course regularly. He probably talks to other players, maybe even plays full rounds with others. Sooner or later, those other players are gonna figure out this guy aint paying. What do you suppose is gonna happen next?

"Hey, I know how to sneak into the movie theater, I do it 5 times a week. Want me to show you how?"

Got to get rid of the thief, and soon.

Well, I have a tender heart for private pay to play courses. I cut my teeth on one and it really got me into the game.

At the time I was young and broke. Couldn't afford to pay. So the owner offered a work for play option.

You could potentially turn this customer into an asset or liability. Honestly, I would confront him straight up and talk about options.

Running people off is not a generally not a good business philosophy. Yeah the guy sounds like a dirt bag but you never know, he might have a good story and be willing to work with you.

Haybro Redtail DGC is a bit remote and doesn't see lots of traffic. It's a totally serious course with 18 3 year old Discatchers and 9 brand new Marskman baskets in there own Putting Park with nice tees, signage, maps, and major effort put into the courses creation and maintenance. Pay to play is on the honor system and in general I estimate that 25% of locals and about 60% of non locals pay the $5 fee based on signed waivers, which are required to play the course (yes there is a measurable percentage that can't be bothered to even sign waivers). I've learned to accept all of this and tell myself that it's probably better than I could expect from the general disc golf community.

Occasionally there are abusers and I've got a real bad one now. This guy plays the course regularly, maybe 5 or more times a week, and sometimes twice a day, but he doesn't pay. I had to put a blank waiver on his windshield with a note just to get him to sign that, which he took a couple days to do. Redtail offers season passes for $50, which I mentioned in the note, but this guy seems to think he's entitled to show up any time he wants and play for free.

Has anyone run into this on a P2P course? I go out of my way to leave people in peace on the course but I suspect that my only option here is to confront this guy and tell him that he is banned from the course until he buys a season pass. I could shame him publicly via Facebook, but that just doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions?

If you knew where he lived, you could pitch a tent in his front yard. If he says anything, just say that you are camping. I will now try to think of way to get your point across without trespassing.

Shush, guys. He got my attention. If there's a profit being made, I want to know how.

Dancing girls?

How feasible is it for the OP to put in a moat? If it'll keep the black knight at bay, it should work for the freeloaders.

I actually like the trail cam idea. Get a good face shot and slap his mug on the "Board of Shame," a kiosk at the entrance that displays serial abusers where the only way to get off is by paying the fee. Have fun with it. :thmbup: