• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to find a main putting putter

I think you have to consider more than putting here. A putter can do much more than see action inside the circle. See if you can find a mold that will help out with putts, approaches, and (shorter) drives. For instance, I use my Wizard for straddle putting inside the circle, jump putts up to 75', approaches inside of 150', and short/downhill drives. I've been known to backhand, sidearm, overhand and roll the same mold. Consider the versatility factor when your pick out your putter (or any mold for that matter).

I will say my classic judge it's great for jump putts they glide pretty good if only I can judge the fade.

I think you have to consider more than putting here. A putter can do much more than see action inside the circle. See if you can find a mold that will help out with putts, approaches, and (shorter) drives. For instance, I use my Wizard for straddle putting inside the circle, jump putts up to 75', approaches inside of 150', and short/downhill drives. I've been known to backhand, sidearm, overhand and roll the same mold. Consider the versatility factor when your pick out your putter (or any mold for that matter).

Also, there's no shame in carrying multiple putter molds. Technically, I carry 4, but I really don't count the Wedge or the Zone as putters.

Neither method is absolutely correct. Throw whatever works and/or makes you happy.

I used SE Soft Rhynos from 1999-2004. Decided I didn't want so much movement from overstable putters while putting (they're great for other uses, obviously) and wanted something I could just aim straight at it and go for it.

So I went and bought 8 or 10 different types of putters that weren't Rhynos and weren't Aviars or Magnets (I used those before the Rhynos) and kept track of how I did at 40' with them for a big sample size. This went on all spring and summer. (This was before we had 400 different companies so those 8 or 10 putters were most of the market).

The winner? I didn't expect to like a lid, but I putt best with a damned Birdie. It outperformed all the others. Numbers don't lie. It goes pretty much straight where I throw it. If I screw up, so does it, but if I don't, it's money. So I got a stack of ten of them and they're always in my garage for when I'm grilling or whatever. I've been using the same orange Birdie as my primary putter ever since.

I have others for differing situations. A beat-to-hell Soft Magnet from 1999 for turnover putting wizardry from troubled lies. Another one not in so bad of shape for slight turnover upshots, and the more it beats in, the more ready it will be to take 1999's place when it finally dissolves into powder on the ground. A regular good old fashioned DX Aviar in new shape for almost straight upshots. An FLX Challenger for moderate hyzer upshots and wind putting. A soft pro Pig for drastic hyzer situations, and it took over the DX Rhynos I'd been throwing since 1998.

Seven putters in my bag. Take that, ball golf!

I usually narrow it down by these criteria in order:
1) Feel in the hand
2) clean/consistant release for my putting style
3) Flight within 10 meters
4) Flight outside of 10 meters
5) plastic availability/ Disc availability (OOP vs current run etc)
6) Ability to use off the tee as a driving putter
7) Stability to fight the wind
8) Glide

I have yet to find a putter that does everything for me.

Most People have a different Driving putter from their Putting Putter anyhow, I did with the Lighting U-2 or Upshot #2 in Prostyle plastic, was and still is my steeper/longer Uphill, Downhill putter 2016 I started using a slower midrange in place of a driving putter, Star Shark 175 grams have a Pro one same weight but not a driving putter, both are used as a midrange to short approach to approach putt. I might have that putter the U-2 one kicked out of my bag for my Jawbreakers as those work for putting Uphill and Downhill in all but longer/steeper stuff and cliff like shots in which if I miss I can go and get the disc from below the cliff. The other place the U-2 Is as a longer putter but then I could uses at the longer points my Max weight Star or Pro Shark.

for throwing I like the torque resistance of the rhyno and the gentle roll over of the XD but for putting in to the basket you want something that goes straight right to the finish. for me thats just a regular DX aviar but just go with what feels good

Latest posts