• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get over the fear of playing in tournaments

Chico1520

Any ideas for a newbie on how to go about getting into a local tournament or mini. I really love to play and actually am pretty descent I'd like to think. I just don't like knowing all aspects of the game.any suggestions.

Realize it's just a game. Sometimes you play well, other times you don't. Either way it doesn't define who you are, so just go out there & have fun

Thanks golden tuna I just turned 39 this year and have to realize I'm not 21 anymore hopefully I will enter a local tourney soon

Agree with what he said. Just treat it like a normal round, have fun, dont get too upset if you dont play as well because that makes it worse.
And don't do anything too risky, keep it simple and safe in your first tournaments.
I just had my second tournament and it went much more smoothly than my first, haha.

If I cant throw very far will I be embarrassed?

I think I have to play Rec to avoid such hazards.

Go ahead and play some tourneys. You will get rocked mentally, but that's how you learn.

If your talking about ettiquette, then join a league so you get the hang of it. I wouldn't play a tourney without knowing the basic ettiquette.

Just remember to go over the rules. There are some funny little ones, and you will get some ribbing for breaking them.

Ribbing? Not if the guy is a tournament novice. A friendly education maybe, but I can't imagine getting ribbed. Most players are going to be understanding of a player that is playing in his first tournament not knowing every little rule. Hell, most players are too understanding of very experienced players that don't know every little rule.

To the OP, no better way to get over your concerns and fears than jumping right in. Whether it's a league or a tournament, talk to the organizer(s) beforehand to get an idea of what to expect. At the very least, they can make sure you play in the right division/group for your skill. They might also make sure you are grouped with a player or two that will be a great help in guiding you through the experience.

Keep in mind that everyone has been through the "first tournament" experience at some point. Nothing you see or feel is going to be new to everyone else on the course. Just relax and remember to have fun.

Let everyone in your group know its your first tourney. They should go way easier on you.

Stay out of other people's sight lines, be quiet and courteous, ask if you don't know a rule.

Don't ask too many questions that aren't directly relevant to the situation at hand. I have played in tournaments with very new players on my card. One guy in particular asked what I threw after each and every shot. Don't be that guy. Remember that the other players are out there trying to compete. After the 5th hole of this, I just started telling him every shot was my putter.

Tournaments can be super fun and really crank up the competitive juices.

Last edited:
Any ideas for a newbie on how to go about getting into a local tournament or mini. I really love to play and actually am pretty descent I'd like to think. I just don't like knowing all aspects of the game.any suggestions.

Chico, like you I'm 39 and just got into the sport. Unlike you though, I'm not "pretty decent" at the game yet. :wall: Despite having met a couple of people during my ventures on the course I was still nervous about playing in my first tournament for the same reasons, but I decided to just jump in. It was a blast....and I wasn't even on the same card as the guys I knew.

I played in Rec and got paired up with a couple guys who were a little better than me. It helped being at the same level because after you see somebody else throwing an Innova Star Tree Magnet driver and the Discraft Bangoffthebasket approach disc, it really makes you feel at home with your game. It takes the pressure off because you realize that these guys aren't rolling their eyes every time you step onto the tee. Not only that, but they were very willing to answer the very basic questions I had about tournaments, e.g. where you place the marker after your throw, can you use your disc as a marker, exactly where OB starts and whether your disc is in if only part of it is OB, etc.

Second round was even better since I played on the bottom card with the two other guys who had a first round just as bad as I did. Had a few beers and ended up talking friendly smack to each other on the back nine. I'm playing in another tourney with one of those guys this weekend.

The point is that disc golfers are a really friendly bunch. I guarantee that you'll meet and play with people who are not only around your experience level, skill level and age, but guys you'll end up playing with outside the tournament format. Get out there and have fun, brother! :thmbup:

I played in my first tournament this year. wasn't nervous too much about what to expect since i have played leagues. I also went in with the attitude to have fun, meet some new players and my final goal was to finish dead last or better. I easily completed all three goals. had fun met some new players and some other players who i had met during casual rounds at other courses. had a great time, and finished just two places from last cash in my division. I also won the long Putt on Hole 18. got two discs and a nice job site radio in the process. The rounds werent my best rounds but still had fun.

Go play a few mini's first just to get a soft introduction to competitive play. The biggest thing is to play YOUR game. Don't try to emulate the successful throws you see others doing, just play within your skillset and with what you are comfortable doing. Now, there really isn't a better place to learn some of the techniques, disc selections and play theories of the better players than in a competitive setting, but observe during play then practice afterwards in a field or on a course during casual rounds.

I played my first tournament about a month ago. First round I played terrible but I didn't let it bother me. Second round the TD added in tons of OB lines. I just played my game, kept it in the fairways and won my card and a free disc. It wasn't a record setting round or anything but it was a good confidence builder.

Realize it's just a game. Sometimes you play well, other times you don't. Either way it doesn't define who you are, so just go out there & have fun

^This. Get out there and play your game, have fun, and meet some new people to disc with. I wouldn't worry about how you play until you have played enough tourneys to become more comfortable with the pressure of the tourney.

Don't take it seriously. Laugh and take it easy and especially make fun of anyone who does take it seriously. Problem solved.

If you have any "playing for tags" groups in your area, that'll help you get accustomed to playing in a tournament format... and it's way cheaper.