• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to ID discs with no model names printed?

harpsm

I recently bought a few second hand, but unused, Innova discs. Some don't have model names on them. Other than visually comparing them against other discs, is there any way to figure out what they are?

When you say they don't have model names listed, do you mean they don't have a stamp on top with the name? If that's the case, you can still identify the mold based on the writing on the bottom of the disc, usually 2-3 letters written near the center nipple or along the inside of the rim. As far as I know, all Innova discs have some kind of identification on the bottom of the disc...I don't know of a key or list anywhere online, but if you can post what the bottom lettering is I'm sure someone on here can identify it for you.

If you tilt them a little under light and look really close you can see the original stamp.

Abbreviation list

I know that a list of the two-letter ID next to the weight exists. Ive seens it. The problem is, I cant remember where, but if you look for it, know that it is out there somewhere. Anybody else know where?

innova doesnt have the disc profiles like they do on the discraft site - maybe someone has created something similar?

To clarify my post which started the discussion, these are discs with tournament stamps on top and only weights written on the underside - no letter codes. I got them from a former PDGA player who I assume received them while playing in tourneys. One clue that I thought I might be able to use is the patent numbers stamped into the disc mold in small raised letters on the underside of the disc. Anyone know if that's possible?

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

All the patent numbers are the same on every disc. The best way to know for sure is the letters on the bottom... but in your case there isn't any. Try contacting the guy you got the discs from. I'm sure he'd know.

by profile i meant wing shape if you cut the disc in half

:eek: OMG! That is Masadiscism! ...unless they aren't your discs and then is just Disc Murder! :p

Sorry about that one, but when I read it the first time through I was like, "He is doing what?" :D

Back in the day there were no marking on the underside of the disc other than the weight. The first time I saw discs marked with an abbreviation for the mold was the first run TeeBirds, and they came out in '99. So if you have an Innova disc with a tournament stamp from before '99, there is no way to tell what it is other than eyeballing it and knowing what to look for.

Edit: The Discraft discs always had the disc name in the underside engraving, other than the X-Clone. The X-Clone was made from a broken Cyclone mold, so it still said "Cyclone" on the bottom...BUT, if you couldn't tell an X-Clone from a Cyclone you needed more help than Discraft could give you.

Last edited:
Here's the list for you, it's on the Innova website under the Faq's section.
When the Boss is released I think the abbreviation will be BO

Aero S-AE
Aviar
Aviar Driver S-BB
Archangel AA
Banshee B
Beast BST
Bulldog BL
Cheetah CH
Classic Cobra CC
Classic Roc CR
Cobra CO
Coyote CY
Cro CRO
Destroyer SD, CD, PD, DS
Dragon D
Eagle E
Star Eagle S.EX
Eagle (less stable) EL
Firebird F
FL FL
Firebird (more stable) FX
Gator GT
Gazelle GZ
Goblin GO
Gremlin GR
Jaguar J
Leopard L
Kite KT
Max MAX
Monarch MC
Monster M
Orc O
Panther PA
Pegasus PG
Pig PIG
Puma PM
Ram RAM
Raven RV
Rhyno RY
Roadrunner RR
Roc R
Shark SH
Sidewinder SW, SSW
Skeeter SK, SSK
SL aka Starfire-L SL, S-SL
Spider SP
Starfire SF
Stingray ST or SST
TeeBird T,TB
TeeRex TR, STR
TL aka TeeBird-L TL, TLS
Valkyrie VK or VL
Viking VG
Viper V
Whippet WX
Wolf W
Wraith WR, SWR
XCaliber XC, SXC

they're obviously all Aviars ;)
That's not as far-fetched as it sounds. They probably have changed things now, but back in the day the custom disc rule was minimum of 100 discs with at least 25 of each mold ordered. So everybody would order 25 putters (Aviars) 25 mid ranges (Rocs) and 25 of two drivers, usually Vipers and whatever was new. If I sold somebody all my custom stamped discs, 80% of them would be Aviars and Rocs.

Latest posts