• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to make disc golf interesting again?

Husky22

I love to play disc golf, and would rank it as one of the top couple things I enjoy doing, but lately it seems as if I can't even enjoy a round. I feel bored after 2-3 holes or give up after a couple bad throws. I use to want to play all day every day, now its hard to even be motivated to play. What do you guys do when the game starts to feel boring/repetitive?

Hasn't happened yet. When I do have rough rounds and I'm down on myself I try to concentrate on enjoying the walk/hike and company rather than focusing on the negatives. It helps that I play at some ridiculously scenic courses though.

quit playing for a little bit then go back to it...thats what I do when im bored with something...few weeks off...or go to a new course....just make a drastic change lol

Play some night golf. Tape some LED's (that you find near the fishing bobbers in a sporting good store) to the bottom of your disc. I did this not long ago and never had so much fun playing disc golf.

My buddies and I like to create new games. Competition helps get the juices flowing. For instance, we might play a putter only round, worst disc doubles, safari golf etc.

I would suggest taking some time off. This happened to me my last few years in college and this year I started playing again regularly and now I'm in as deep as ever.

i know one thing that might help; )<ZZZZZ>

seriously though try adding a little competition , if your playing by yourself use a scorecard .
the one thing that always keeps things fresh is to stick to one thing for awhile then do the opposite for awhile.
What i mean is try only playing when there are other people to play with for a couple weeks then after doing that go back to playing alone for awhile. Try playing drunk or stoned everytime then swith and play sober for awhile.

Only play about once a week. That way you have something to look forward to each week. You can get sick of anything if you do it too much. You need to limit yourself to about once or twice a week and this way you will enjoy it more. Sounds like you are getting burned out.

I once took two weeks off and it was great. It was nice to go do something else in a weekend. Then, when I played Disc Golf again, I had a good time. I have a tournament coming up in a couple of weeks and after the tournament , I am going to take a few weeks off.

Try using Super Class discs like a Zephyr to make the rounds more challenging like real golf with lots of real par 4s and 5s.

Even when i go away from a bad round thinking "i need some time off", a couple days later i'm out putting in the backyard or at the course again.

It also may be the course redesign that has me so "geeked" about DG......... This past Saturday i was at the park about 5 hours and only threw 6-8 discs....... spend the rest of the time clearing a new fairway of all the dead wood and debris.

I tend to almost spend more time at the practice field then the course, and it really helps me to work on my game and try new things with out the pressure of trying to score. I put my music on my headphones, and just go out there and throw some discs.

its probably the universes way of telling you that something else in your life needs your attention. or its the universes way of saying your home course is lame and you need to play some different courses ;)

maybe try learning a new type of throw. I got bored once I got my RHBH down nicely so I tried to learn a side arm. Now there's tomahawks and rollers and all sorts of unusual flippy shots you can try too. taking a break sometimes doesn't hurt either, you may just be getting burnt out from repetitive courses or playing too much.

Take some time off.
Don't go back until you "need to".
You may find something else, or you might find that you enjoy it more because you forgot how much you enjoy it.

its probably the universes way of telling you that something else in your life needs your attention. or its the universes way of saying your home course is lame and you need to play some different courses ;)
you got it backwards , your supposed to hit them with the funny then kick some knowledge while their guard is down.:rolleyes:

either way good post , sometimes playing dg can help you deal with stuff or give you a break from dealing.But if you cant focus pancakes might be right on.

Play some rounds with just one disc instead of a whole bag of them. Play a whole round strictly sidearm. Play left-handed.