• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to make rounds more interesting/competitive with beginner?

When I started playing with my current gf I played with my off hand and it was wonderful. We're both right handed, so when I was throwing left handed in field work, I could face her and she could mirror my actions. I was truly learning from the beginning, so i knew exactly what she was going through and we could learn together how to throw. Then, when we got on the course, we were actually quite competitive, and it didn't take long before she was beating me. All the while I'm learning a skill that has come in handy during a round, and she's not getting discouraged that I can throw 3 times as far.

Play with the oldest putter you can find. Or, if you actually want to work on your form/technique as well.....grab an Aero and only play with that. It'll force to you have pure form, throw straight, and carve your line.

competition/challenge

Get a deck of the "Ript challenge" playing cards and let her play the cards against you as you play. They are very challenging and a fun way to develop different parts of your game. She will be more comp' if only she is using them

If she has a +18 handicap, then if you dont beat her by 18 strokes than you lose. Hopefully she will get better and her handicap/average will get better.

When my wife first started playing it made it a lot of fun to have her basically play best shot doubles and I played worst shot doubles. Two shots from every lie, she got to choose her better shot, I had to take the worse (including having to make both putts). Extra practice and a more competitive round.

A deck of RIPT cards can be fun. Give her like 9 to start and she can play one per hole, and make her draw another if she misses mando or goes ob with the condition that any cards not played adds to her score unless it's one specifically made to be used at the end. That way most cards will help her by forcing your shot selection or putter/driver switching (she will get double help because most don't use overhands, rollers, grenades, etc but seeing them in action can help her learn new shots that can make up for not having much distance), but still add some random fun for you both.

Get a deck of the "Ript challenge" playing cards and let her play the cards against you as you play. They are very challenging and a fun way to develop different parts of your game. She will be more comp' if only she is using them

Just ordered a set of these RIPT cards you guys mentioned, never heard of them before, thanks.

When I first started, the guy I played with was miles better. We'd do this thing where, instead of stroke play, we'd just get a point for every birdie or whatever. So, you could do it like, you get a point for every birdie or better, she gets one for every par or better, or whatever. Then anything worse that that, just ignore it basically.

This can both level the playing field, and remove the downer stigma of playing drastically 'over par.'

When I play with my son, we often just play doubles, each taking a shot from the better lie. The competition then becomes "what's the best score we can get together on this course" instead of competing against each other. Not all competition needs an opponent.

Let her throw all her discs and you only get one could be fun.

Just checked out the RIPT cards - that's sweet. I know later this summer i'll be going out with a bunch of family and this will make it nice and fun.

Latest posts