• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to stop throwing too high

Yep, common problem. The point of the reachback is to load up by turning into the rear hip and getting your torso loaded. No tipping!! Remember to not just reach back with the disc, also get your rear shoulder blade toward the target too (helps you turn around your spine).
Just turn centered inside your posture, there will be some dynamic tilting within your balanced posture. Tipping is out of balance/outside of your posture.

Try pushing forward with your thumb.

This is something I just saw two days ago, and reading about and thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense. I'd like to hear some other opinions about this.

It's definitely something I'm not doing, that I need to obviously get in the field and practice. Probably explains why some of my throws are turnovers way right of my intended line.

Pronation of wrist/key turn/wrist roll under etc

SW's "bottles and cans" video talks about it -I've also seen it discussed in these threads:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121557

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100614&page=6
post #55

You get more leverage on the rim of the disc by pushing with the thumb. It generally helps with nose down by extending the arc, but it really depends because you can push up or down depending on the roll direction of the arm. It won't help nearly as much as cleaning up your swing plane and disc orientation.

I see some people curl their body a bit and dip in the middle of their throw in an attempt to get more power, but this causes the second half of the swing to undo the curl and they basically open up as if they're jumping up to surprise the disc and so the dip recovery is an upward motion and disc goes onward with that line.

Very new players need to be told it's not a ball, 45° is not the goal.

worked on it a bit yesterday. The wrist down, and thumb placement helped a lot on my throws. But when I would try to go for more power, I still ended up throwing way too high. im losing my form somewhere throughout the drive.

It really depends on the thrower but with most it is actually related to footwork, weight shift and body positions that keep your shoulder "up".

If the shoulder plane is pointing up, the disc will go that direction. A lot of this can be solved with some simple changes. First is make sure your body weight is moving with the disc at all times. In most cases the shoulder pops up when the weight stops on the back foot and the arm accelerates without body weight. You need to work on driving the weight through with the disc to keep the shoulder plane level or slight down. If your shoulders point up or rotate too fast and your feet are flat - the disc will come out early, late, up, and every other bad way based on how far off you are. If you see the disc coming out flat and to the right, you are on the right track, you just need to slow down your shoulders.

Bad habits will be formed if you try to counter act the shoulder up by throwing your arm in a downward direction and/or forcing it over/down to make it turn flatter. Usually leads to injury.

Here is a simple drill I use to help people:
Stand flat footed, knees locked and in a basic throwing positions. Try to rock your weight forward while flat footed. You will notice that you have to kind of "raise up" over the center of your body in order to move forward. This is what causes the shoulder to pop up and the disc to go SKY HIGH.

Now get back in the same throwing position, but bend your knees and get on your toes as best as possible. Try to **** forward with the disc. You will see it is much easier to maintain a flat shoulder plane and rotate the hips forward/open. These simple things are the issues with 99% of the people I teach. The arm stuff can be figured out later. Get the lower body in check first. The reachback and arm angles are easier to fix than this.

It really depends on the thrower but with most it is actually related to footwork, weight shift and body positions that keep your shoulder "up".

If the shoulder plane is pointing up, the disc will go that direction. A lot of this can be solved with some simple changes. First is make sure your body weight is moving with the disc at all times. In most cases the shoulder pops up when the weight stops on the back foot and the arm accelerates without body weight. You need to work on driving the weight through with the disc to keep the shoulder plane level or slight down. If your shoulders point up or rotate too fast and your feet are flat - the disc will come out early, late, up, and every other bad way based on how far off you are. If you see the disc coming out flat and to the right, you are on the right track, you just need to slow down your shoulders.

Bad habits will be formed if you try to counter act the shoulder up by throwing your arm in a downward direction and/or forcing it over/down to make it turn flatter. Usually leads to injury.

Here is a simple drill I use to help people:
Stand flat footed, knees locked and in a basic throwing positions. Try to rock your weight forward while flat footed. You will notice that you have to kind of "raise up" over the center of your body in order to move forward. This is what causes the shoulder to pop up and the disc to go SKY HIGH.

Now get back in the same throwing position, but bend your knees and get on your toes as best as possible. Try to **** forward with the disc. You will see it is much easier to maintain a flat shoulder plane and rotate the hips forward/open. These simple things are the issues with 99% of the people I teach. The arm stuff can be figured out later. Get the lower body in check first. The reachback and arm angles are easier to fix than this.

great advice, ill work on it tonight. thanks.

All things listed already are more important to fix your issue but I will add one thing that helped me a little. I changed my "site line" to the target. I found myself picking a line and envisioning a line to the basket but I was always looking up quite high, seeing a high flying disc gliding through the beautiful sky. Now when I stand on the tee, I work my eyes from the ground up until I see a lower site line to the basket. This has helped me with incomplete follow through and nose up issues. JMTC.

worked on it a bit yesterday. The wrist down, and thumb placement helped a lot on my throws. But when I would try to go for more power, I still ended up throwing way too high. im losing my form somewhere throughout the drive.

There's a local guy who does this a lot, and he's been playing for over 10 years. His particular problem is pace/sequence related. He waits too long on his reach back and then hurries his arm forward to try to catch up with his body -- results in really ugly high out of control throws, usually left of target. You may want to shoot a video of yourself and compare it to the backhand form of pros to try to isolate the issue.

isnt this counter-productive to driving form? hes stating to have the disc shoulder high, dont bend over, and pull throw your shoulders. When you should be bent a little bit (nose over toes), pulling through your core?

I've helped quite a few high throwers with this this drill. It overcompensates and teaches them to throw on a straighter plane. From reach back to release the disc travels on the plane you want it to fly. Dipping and swooping arms often kill distance and accuracy. Pros teach this same concept. Consider Doss's, Wysocki, or Schultz's form.

on the reach back, when im reaching back at my farthest point, should the disc be parallel to the ground, or perpendicular? at an angle?

on the reach back, when im reaching back at my farthest point, should the disc be parallel to the ground, or perpendicular? at an angle?

As was stated this really depends on the type of shot you want to throw. It is different on every shot. It is pretty easy when you start to focus a lot on the arm and reach-back. It is what stands out in every Pro's style. They are all different, yet effective and this is because the one common thing they all have is an athletic core/base. Once you learn how to adjust power with your legs/hips, the rest gets pretty easy.

Learning how to throw a disc was the most complicated athletic motion I've ever gotten close to perfecting. I worked a lot on throwing a football as a QB growing up and even had a nice looking jumper in basketball. Neither was as difficult as disc golf is to replicate. Disc golf has so many more variables to learn because every shot is different + wind/weather/terrain. Really wish I had picked this up when I was 15 and not 22....

Latest posts