• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to tie dye a disc?

Jcherry49

Hello everyone, I just started playing a few months and instantly got addicted. If im not on out throwing, I'm nose deep on here researching anything about how to improve my game. I recently stumbled upon that you can dye your discs**mind blown lol**. Now another addiction within an addiction. Just had my first successful shaving cream dye. Turned out great..... Was wondering how I can do a swirling tie dye pattern. I've seen many spin dyes, but not what I was looking for. Did see one video that a guy did, but his discs didn't turn out great. His looked very faded and color not taking. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160623_070641.jpg
    IMG_20160623_070641.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 74
Hi & welcome to the site!
I don't dye discs, but really admire some of the brilliant art folks do on here. I'd suggest starting with these fundamentals & then exploring in the whole Disc Dyeing sub-forum. Personally, I'd say that, early on, you want to be throwing bold colored discs as much as possible (bright pink is the best for most folks & seasons), and know that the most lost discs seem to fall in the 'tie dyed' range of colors...

ps: mods might move this over to the disc dyeing section, rather than 'hole of the day'...;)

Yeah, for some reason I couldn't navigate my way to the disc dying section for new post. Defense shows I'm new to site haha, so I hope they do move it there.... But yes I totally agree to use bold colored discs. Only kind I will by since my first couple weeks I was spending lots of time in the woods and tall grass. But I have 2 buddies in their 40s & 50s that don't play anymore. They gave me their old discs to get me started. Most of them are 20 yrs or older, but duller colors. Thinking I should display them on the wall rather then be throwing them. But have plenty of New discs that I can dye. Would like the satisfaction of creating my owe tie dye disc. And if I lose it, I'll just have to do another lol.

Did 2 more dyes this morning. The yellow disc is a innova star mirage. Tried dying before a couple different ways and had no success. Realizing I used Tulip's version of idye poly(which explains a lot). Even still, I tried dye bath with electrical tape method anyway, did on a plate with a little while on stove, checked it before bed, left it on overnight with no heat. It worked but not as well as I hoped. Finally got my idye poly(blue), retaped it same pattern, put dye in pie pan and added a some water to make sure disc could float. Used stove for heat again for about 10-15 min, didn't look like the color was taking, check again at 30 min, color was taking but could see lots of bubbles, repositioned disc. Took out at 45 min and looked great, but it was darker than what I was going for. It black with a blue tint, does look nice when the sun hits it. Was going for UofM colors. Maybe too much dye, or heat, or too long. The pinkish purple disc is MVP Inertia. Did the saran wrap method with blue and red, trying to get a purple marble effect. Colors didn't mix as well as hoped, but I still love it. Looks like broken glass on the front.

Attachments

• IMG_20160626_135025.jpg
    IMG_20160626_135025.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20160626_134959.jpg
    IMG_20160626_134959.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20160626_135008.jpg
    IMG_20160626_135008.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 43
Did a few more dyes last night with the family. (yes, I got my girl and kids hooked to the sport and now dying discs as well). Was able to get the tie dye look I was going for. The disc is a green champion sidewinder. I used blue, red, black, purple(made with blue n red). What do you guys think? Not to bad for a beginner, right.. I'll post pics of the ones the rest of family did when I get home from work. For now, here is mine

Attachments

• IMG_20160627_063303.jpg
    IMG_20160627_063303.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 75
In the process of dying another disc(discraft pulse esp plastic). Im using the elmers glue method with the saran wrap method. Will post pics once its done. Have about 20 more minutes to wait. Very anxious to see it.

Very disappointing!! Back side turned out good. But face with glue didnt turn out good at all; could barely see the dye. I didnt use the cheap elmers, used elmers craft glue(clear), or maybe not enough dye, idk. So trying something a little different. Going with the saran wrap, but used some electrical tape with it. So we shall see.

Disappointment once again with my Pulse. Im thinking maybe my dye is not warm enough. So i will try again and see what happens....if anyone has any suggestions, im all ears. Thanks guys

Turned out a little better, but was hoping it would be a bit darker. The right side of the disc looks a little darker than the left, plate must not have been level. What i dont understand is how did the back turn out better then the front. The last 2 times i tried it, ive only done the front(3 tries total). I even left it sit overnight this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20160629_061832.jpg
    IMG_20160629_061832.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20160629_061921.jpg
    IMG_20160629_061921.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forums and to disc dying. When you are dying discs you are trying to open the pores in the plastic so the dye can be absorbed. There are basically 3 ways to do that. 1: A chemical reaction. For example acetone or rubbing alcohol added to the dye to open the pores. 2: Heat. Adding dye to water and heating in a pan is an example of this method. 3: Time. Putting a dye in shaving cream, or laundry detergent and letting sit for overnight, or longer is an example of this style. All styles have advantages and disadvantages. And all plastics take dye a little differently. Star plastic will take dye quite quickly and champ plastic quite slowly. Hopefully this will help you understand the process a little better. Good luck and happy dying.

Thank you Eky8. When using acetone or laundry detergent(is there a certain kind/brand that work best?), how much is needed? I have been using pint sized mason jars for mixing. I have a couple more good plastics left that i wanted to try the spin technique and splatter technique on. I have a lazy susan for making the disc spin and being able to controll(manually) the speed. Once i do a few, i may go find a record player. When using the acetone for Spin, about how long should i leave it on for before washing the disc off?...........ive feel like ive been doing alright so far, but for some reason this discraft esp pulse was just giving me a hard time, and weirdly enough, it was just the face of the disc. So for the face i just went with a dye bath after a few trial and errors. Heres how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_20160630_063510.jpg
    IMG_20160630_063510.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160630_063543.jpg
    IMG_20160630_063543.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27
You may have already realized this. But, while tie dye discs look cool, they become camouflage.

Welcome to both addictions.

Very true TimSyl. When i first started, it seemed liked i was in the woods or very tall grass every other hole looking for my shots. Now, not so much. But still happens from time to time. About of my discs were given to me, mostly dull, hard to see discs; when i buy discs, i'll only buy bright colors just because i know at some point ill be in the think again haha

I don't really use acetone. So I'm not the best person to ask. I use laundry detergent all the time. I use the cheapest kind I can find which just happens to be clear. I mix about 2 tsp. powder to about 2 tbsp. detergent. After using it I usually let it sit in a sealed container overnight.

Thanks again Eky8. Cant wait to try it out, hopefully this wknd. How long do i need to let the dye sit on the disc before rinsing it off?

if I use detergent or shaving cream I usually let it sit at least 8 hours. Maybe a little less if it's on star plastic. A lot more if it's on champ. If I'm doing a hot dip I go 5 minutes at a time and check color. Acetone is pretty instant.