• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to write driving directions

cydisc

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I recently visited two courses I hadn't played before. I printed off the directory page for each of them before I left. After I was alternately mildly peeved by the directions of the first one and then almost hopelessly lost on the other, I decided to provide a little lesson on writing directions for people new to the courses.

Hint: You're writing directions to benefit people who have never visited your town before. Don't do this from memory. Actually drive the route you're leading them down and put yourself in their shoes.

1. Begin with the likely point(s) where people will enter town. Start with the major highway that leads to town. Be sure to include the Exit # if applicable.

2. Indicate the compass point direction to head when you exit the highway. All turns after this should be "left" or "right" for simplicity.

3. Indicate the distance between turns. Give the driver an idea of how long to drive before they need to look for the next turn.

4. Give landmarks as well as street names. Sometimes it's hard to see those street signs when you're driving at speed, especially if you're the only one in the car.

5. Once at the park, give any further directions for negotiating inner-park roads.

6. Tell us where to look for the first tee. If it's not right by the parking lot, I don't want to have to mount an expedition to find the right place to start.

7. If your town has more than one major highway that serves it, give a separate set of directions for each.

Here's an example of a good set of directions:
I-35 to U.S. 30 exit (111B), west to 3rd Ames exit (University Blvd-Exit 146), north 0.5 miles to a left at 1st traffic light (Mortensen Dr.), 0.3 miles to a left on Gateway Hills Dr. (south of high-rise dorms), follow road to park sign and take left fork to lot. 1st tee south of sand volleyball courts.

Driving instructions? What the hell are those? I'm a man, I don't need any stinking driving instruction!

I totally forgot they were on the course page until you brought it up. I usually look at google maps and figure it out myself before I go to a course. Print out a copy or write them down as I want to. I've learned a long time ago that some local's use reference points that might not even exist anymore (especially in New England for some reason).

"Yeah, you go down the dirt road for about 10 or 259 miles and turn left where the barn used to be that burnt down. The exit is by the old Smithfield house (never mind a family named Jones lives there now) and turn right at the boat ramp that you can't see."

Here's an example of a good set of directions:
I-35 to U.S. 30 exit (111B), west to 3rd Ames exit (University Blvd-Exit 146), north 0.5 miles to a left at 1st traffic light (Mortensen Dr.), 0.3 miles to a left on Gateway Hills Dr. (south of high-rise dorms), follow road to park sign and take left fork to lot. 1st tee south of sand volleyball courts.

As a former delivery driver, these are good directions Cydisc!
-You used compass directions, until going in a unanimous direction. (i.e. you've covered all the turns, from multiple directions), Then you can use Right and left.
-You gave Traffic light count first, (street mentioned second)
-Naming of a landmark near the first tee, with further detailed instructions if needed.

Unless the tree is the size of house, don't use the phrase "Tee near the big tree"

I've got 8 years of delivery business experience, Bad directions are a big pet peeve! So Kudos! I would stop customers if they tried to give me directions, and I had a set of questions of how to get the proper information from them. God know if I relied on them, I could end up 3 states away! lol

I had to chime in! ;)

Of course Iowans are also proud to give overly detailed directions as well. Remember, I'm an Iowan too. An example of Iowa directions.

You'll want to come out of Jonesville, on highway blah, blah, blah... You'll go 3 miles and then turn left on the Gravel road. If you cross the railroad tracks you went to far, turn around and come back. Then it'll be the second gravel road on your right. Go out that Gravel road until you see a white and yellow house, with a big pine in the front yard. There may be a German shepard tied up out front, maybe not, That is Mrs. Smiths house, She makes some great rhubarb pie. So when you see Mrs. Smiths house, your not there yet. Keep going for about 2 more miles...

An example of Iowa directions.
You'll want to come out of Jonesville, on highway blah, blah, blah... You'll go 3 miles and then turn left on the Gravel road. If you cross the railroad tracks you went to far, turn around and come back. Then it'll be the second gravel road on your right. Go out that Gravel road until you see a white and yellow house, with a big pine in the front yard. There may be a German shepard tied up out front, maybe not, That is Mrs. Smiths house, She makes some great rhubarb pie. So when you see Mrs. Smiths house, your not there yet. Keep going for about 2 more miles...

:) Now those are some directions I can understand!

Here in the Tip Of The Mitt, we're kinda pissed you ever found us in the first place, and we're really not that interested if you find your destination. I notice the directions we give around here always seem to start in an adjacent town, in order to further minimize their value to you . . .
On the far side of Wolverine turn left on Winding With Tons Of Maple Trees Rd. and go aboot 5 1/2 mi and turn right onto County Rd 641. After you cross the third stream, turn left etc...

Unless you're in Wolverine at the time, your bent.

You will never get out of here alive :p

1. Begin with the likely point(s) where people will enter town. Start with the major highway that leads to town. Be sure to include the Exit # if applicable.

This has always been my personal favorite, for the course in Alliance Nebraska:
"
Local Directions: From I-80 west, exit at Ogallala and follow signs to US 26, west to Bridgeport, US 385 north to Alliance, northeast part of town, Box Butte north to about 22nd street, #1 just west of lot.
"

You see, from the Ogallala exit off I-80, you still have 120 miles(!) to get to Alliance!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=UTF8&z=9&saddr=ogallala+ne&daddr=alliance+ne

Last edited:
This has always been my personal favorite, for the course in Alliance Nebraska:
"
Local Directions: From I-80 west, exit at Ogallala and follow signs to US 26, west to Bridgeport, US 385 north to Alliance, northeast part of town, Box Butte north to about 22nd street, #1 just west of lot.
"

You see, from the Ogallala exit off I-80, you still have 120 miles(!) to get to Alliance!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=UTF8&z=9&saddr=ogallala+ne&daddr=alliance+ne

Yeah. There's really no need to include the nearest interstate in that situation. If people are looking for a course in po-dunk Nebraska, they'll have already figured out how to get to the town itself. Just start with the largest highway that directly serves that location.

6. Tell us where to look for the first tee. If it's not right by the parking lot, I don't want to have to mount an expedition to find the right place to start.

this is a big one that gets overlooked a lot. My iphone will get me to the park just fine, especially with the new turn by turn option on the mobile site, but there have been several courses I've played where it was not at all obvious where to park and how to find the first tee.

As a former delivery driver, these are good directions Cydisc!

Thanks. I had a short stint driving for FedEx not too long ago, but I've dealt with bad directions for longer than that.

Last edited:
This site is much better at directions than the PDGA directory used to be...plus, there's better equipment now; i.e. gps, etc.... Man, I used PDGA directory to get to many courses; but so many bad directions used to be there....often an easter egg hunt with the finale being asking at a gas station; where the response often was, "What are you looking for?" A frisbee throwing place? Why would we have something like that? Now, I can tell you where the A&W is....you go down 'bout three miles; and you follow this curvy road, stay left now...don't go right; that will take you over by the old mill...so, stay left; until you get by the hard ware store and you gotta take a quick right....etc.... Um, but I don't want to go to the A&W....is there another gas station around here? Two gas stations later; you would probably find the park....and then the search for the first tee would begin....:)

This site is much better at directions than the PDGA directory used to be...plus, there's better equipment now; i.e. gps, etc.... Man, I used PDGA directory to get to many courses; but so many bad directions used to be there...
It does bear mentioning that unless the directions to a course have been updated here, or the course was specifically entered into the directory on this site, its those PDGA entered directions that you're looking at.

We probably should all look at the directions to courses in our area and see if they're up to first time visitor snuff. I'll bet a lot of us haven't given the clarity of the directions to them a second thought since we know how to get there.

Keep driving a little ways and make a right at the barking dog.

I generally don't use the directions here either but the where to go when you get there part is certainly true. That and which park entrance to use if there are more than one!!

Don't rely too heavily on some GPS's.

When you decide to stop at another course after playing a Tournament... make sure that the park/place is listed in your "Points of Interests" or that you have access to a street address.

I am not saying, I am just saying.

Buy a GPS, they are well worth the money. Only thing that sucks is when you don't have it you don't know how to get anywhere.

Proper Directions:
"
See where it say "Rib Tip"? Well, f**k that, you don't want to go that way. You gonna go all the way down about half a block .....and you'll see a Torino with no wheels on it. Now inside that Torino is my cousin, Jackie. Now you tell him that you're my boy, and that you lost. He'll make sure you get to where you're going.
"

I suggest using both Left/Right and Compass directions on every turn. Navigation styles vary, some people don't think in one or the other kind. Also, if it says "turn left (north)" then it's easier to follow the directions if I'm coming back from missing a turn.

As for Iowa, it seems like the directions to most courses are: "About 5 miles out of town. On the left side of the road."

I just read the most whack directions for this newly installed course in Nebraska which I partially played last Summer, so I thought I'd bump this thread up to illustrate just how bad some folks are at giving directions.

Pretend, you're driving down I-80 through Nebraska, heading to Seward to play this course. Tell me if the following makes sense....

Take exit 379 toward Concordia University - Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Seward - Turn left onto NE-15 N/280th/Co Rd 280 Continue to follow NE-15 N/Co Rd 280 - Continue Straight onto NE-15 N/N 8th St/Co Rd 208, Continue to follow NE-15 N/Co Rd 208 - Turn right onto Waverly Rd - Turn Right onto Karol Kay Blvd

Now, if you haven't done so already, look at the Google map and pretend you're driving towards town with no GPS, no mobile DGCR, just printed directions as stated above.

Take exit 379

Exit 379? That's good if I'm on I-80 (which oddly enough isn't referenced). What if I'm approaching Seward from a different direction.

toward Concordia University

Umm, I'm not even in town yet. How about using the town itself as a reference point before I'm directed to something inside of it?

Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Seward -

What fork? I don't see a folk anywhere.

Turn left onto NE-15 N/280th/Co Rd 280

How about just telling turn left onto Highway 15, which is what most people can easily see that it is referred to as. Oh, one problem with that. If I'm approaching this interchange from the east, turning left would send me south, away from Seward.
:doh:

Continue to follow NE-15 N/Co Rd 280 -

Am I following a highway or a county road? Just calling it Highway 15 will do fine thanks.

Continue Straight onto NE-15 N/N 8th St/Co Rd 208,

How about telling me to continue straight into town on Highway 15, which Google shows as 6th street, not 8th street.

Continue to follow NE-15 N/Co Rd 208 -

Again, just call it simple ol' Highway 15, and/or 6th street. I doubt anyone in Seward calls the main north-south street through their town "Co Rd 208" when there are two far easier designations for it.

Turn right onto Waverly Rd - Turn Right onto Karol Kay Blvd

Finally, some sensible directions! One problem though. At what point (in terms of miles or a landmark) should I find Waverly Rd? And how far do I drive to Karol Kay Blvd? And is Tee #1 the course right there? (No it is not). Tell me where to park and walk to the course start please.

So rather than read all that, wouldn't the following be a lot better?

From I-80: Exit 379 (Highway 15) - Turn north towards Seward, head six miles into town and continue north on Highway 15 through downtown one mile to Waverly Rd at the north edge of town. Turn east.

From Hwy 34 (east or west) - Take highway into downtown. Turn north on Highway 15, one mile to Waverly Rd at the north edge of town. Turn east.

From Hwy 15 (north) Turn east onto Waverly Rd at north edge of town.

Once on Waverly Rd, drive 1 mile east, and turn right onto Karol Kay Blvd. past the baseball complex on your left. Turn left into parking lot. Tee #1 is east of the lot.

I always plug in the coordinates that are given for each course in my gps. Out of the 173 courses I have played, only once have the coordinates been wrong, luckly my gps was able to locate the property no problem.

I always plug in the coordinates that are given for each course in my gps. Out of the 173 courses I have played, only once have the coordinates been wrong, luckly my gps was able to locate the property no problem.

Only one? Dang, impressive. I've found the coordinates to be off about 10% of the time, once every other day or so I'll be directed to the wrong location when i'm on the road. Then I go to the written directions and can usually figure it out from there, occasionally not... then I say F it, goin to the next course, this place ain't worth the 45 minutes of searching.