• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How you can tell course ratings are BS on here

smyith

Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
Silver level trusted reviewer
So i was looking at the top 10 courses on here. Mainly this Flyboy aviation course. it gets alot of 5 disc ratings. I was looking through the pictures and it looks like a killer course. i have a couple issues with this being called "Best of the Best" (5disc rating). as well as several other courses but ill focus on this.
1) Look at the teepads, those are so horribly installed, how can this be the "best of the best" for teepad installation?
c4af65fa.jpg

2) Where the on course amenities, i see a club house but thats it. no trash cans or benches in any of the pictures. ive seen courses that get 2 discs on here with better amenities.

im not trying to complain, i just want to point out the flaws in peoples comprehension of the rating system. a 5 disc course has EVERYTHING! not just most of it, everything, there is nothing that can be approved upon, afterall it is the best of the best. if i were to go play this flyboy aviation without looking at the pictures and only the rating, i can grantee i would be disappointed when i walked up to the first tee and saw these disgustingly installed rubber pads.
another courses on the top 10 that is lacking is Confier Park. It has wood structure stairs and everything is so nice but dirt teepads? what possible excuse could there be for that? snow removal? then why is there wooden stairs?
no other course on the top 10 is lacking in amenities or teepads like these are. there is far too much "everyone else gave it this so i am" mentality on here. or how did Flip end up so hugely popular, because all of its locals rated it 5, if you look at alot of the non-local reviews you get a far wider variety in rating. yet these reviewers are congradulated for their "follow the leader" attitude. its shameful and disappointing.
i feel better now that its been said.

I dont ever notice tee pads unless they are detrimental...if they are satisfactory and thus don't take away from my enjoyment of the course they get a pass. It looks as though the tees there are serviceable.
This reminds me of the reviewers who find nothing to complain about a course until they get a chance spit out at a basket....then it's time to bash the course for the baskets..lol
I wish I could play Flyboy.....I am more wary of all the water than the tees

Whats more suspicious to me are all the 1 course reviewed reviews at flyboy

Flyboy is the current poster child for a group getting a course highly rated. With that said, I would like to play there. The southern gentlemen in general, are the HBB kings of the last six months.

Opti, I've never reviewed a course before but when I do I will likely do Renaissance first just b/c it's such a unique course compared to all the others I've played. I think Flyboy is like that, too, there's not many courses with a 1600 ft hole or par that's 101.

The trusted reviewers all gave it 4.5-5 discs, maybe you should play it before knocking it.

Opti, I've never reviewed a course before but when I do I will likely do Renaissance first just b/c it's such a unique course compared to all the others I've played. I think Flyboy is like that, too, there's not many courses with a 1600 ft hole or par that's 101.

I totally think Flyboy probably deserves it...I wish I could come down and play it. I just can't go to northern georgia.

Imagine if the Jenkins Siblings had never reviewed Flyboy...without the lowball 4s they gave it early on Flyboy would be #1 on this site..LOL

Amenities are far more important to you than they are to me. I've seen parks that have 150 foot wide open holes that also have awesome tee pads, manicured fairways, benches, bathrooms, etc. that I wouldn't rate above a 1.5 at most.

Amenities are far more important to you than they are to me. I've seen parks that have 150 foot wide open holes that also have awesome tee pads, manicured fairways, benches, bathrooms, etc. that I wouldn't rate above a 1.5 at most.

True story. I can give a high rating to an awesome design with mediocre amenities much easier than highly rating a course with beautiful tees and signs etc. and a mediocre design.

I agree with the O.P. in broad principles, but differ with him on the details.

It would make more sense if everyone valued the same features I do, instead of having their own opinions. Then I could agree with all the reviews.

I have been looking for a flaw in the reviews to support you
It is not all HBB, Most reviewers did not rate that one course and dash off, There are over 5 trusted reviewers who rated it with in .5 disc of it's rating, there are several reviewers who have reviewed more than 20 courses, several with more than 15 years experience, no mater how you break it up, they all like that course.
It looks legit

True story. I can give a high rating to an awesome design with mediocre amenities much easier than highly rating a course with beautiful tees and signs etc. and a mediocre design.

^ Wyrds of Wysdom! :thmbup:

So i was looking at the top 10 courses on here. Mainly this Flyboy aviation course. it gets alot of 5 disc ratings. I was looking through the pictures and it looks like a killer course. i have a couple issues with this being called "Best of the Best" (5disc rating). as well as several other courses but ill focus on this.
1) Look at the teepads, those are so horribly installed, how can this be the "best of the best" for teepad installation?
c4af65fa.jpg

2) Where the on course amenities, i see a club house but thats it. no trash cans or benches in any of the pictures. ive seen courses that get 2 discs on here with better amenities.

im not trying to complain, i just want to point out the flaws in peoples comprehension of the rating system. a 5 disc course has EVERYTHING! not just most of it, everything, there is nothing that can be approved upon, afterall it is the best of the best. if i were to go play this flyboy aviation without looking at the pictures and only the rating, i can grantee i would be disappointed when i walked up to the first tee and saw these disgustingly installed rubber pads.
another courses on the top 10 that is lacking is Confier Park. It has wood structure stairs and everything is so nice but dirt teepads? what possible excuse could there be for that? snow removal? then why is there wooden stairs?
no other course on the top 10 is lacking in amenities or teepads like these are. there is far too much "everyone else gave it this so i am" mentality on here. or how did Flip end up so hugely popular, because all of its locals rated it 5, if you look at alot of the non-local reviews you get a far wider variety in rating. yet these reviewers are congradulated for their "follow the leader" attitude. its shameful and disappointing.
i feel better now that its been said.

You have to realize the differences int he people using this site. There are people like me who value any disc golf course no matter what . . . no that doesnt make a good course with horrible amenities a 5, but it does value the worst courses higher than many people would agree.

Then the top pros, do you really think they care if there are garbage cans, benches, teesigns, when they probably have a caddy guide or a homemade scorecard made up for the courses they play. They all carry the chairs to sit down, and many of them have caddies to take care of their garbage too. They probably value the challenge and design way more than anything else.

I value all of it, but an incredible design with constant challenge can overcome missing benches, or garbage cans fairly easily, but to get a 5 from me it better have some of everything.

Remember it is all an average of all people voting, if you havent played and rated a course you have no ground to argue yet. I am not faulting you for examining this, but you cannot compare until you have been there. There are intangibles that just pictures cannot show you.

Another factor is that very often tees are in the process of experimentation and tweaking....that is often a tee position will move around a bunch in the courses first few incarnations until the most optimal position is settled upon. Pouring concrete is a dumb idea for a new course and often nets disasterous results.

This. I go to a course to play, not sit on a bench.

Different reviewers have different criteria for what makes a good course.

If you want to get a better feel for what a course's rating means, read through the reviews. You'll get to see why people rated it the way they did.

Latest posts