• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How you can tell course ratings are BS on here

I figure every large Mecca type area has Home Boy Inflation just because of the number of golfers in the area. More locals= more local reviewers. The courses that stand up to the out of town no dog in the hunt reviewers would seem to have a more trustworthy rating.

ummm 10 of 3233 courses is not 10%, more like 0.3%
Ummm, you have to have 10 reviews to be in the top ten. 3233 is the total #, but there are only 1016 courses that qualify with 10 or more reviews. 10% is 102 and 10% of that is 10 courses.
BTW,only 5 of the current top 10 are 4.75 or above...

really that is your first post, that will get this thread knocked into the landfill

Hopefully not.

I've reviewed one course and posted in one thread. I've played my fair share of courses and have never been compelled to write a review about any of them other than FlyBoy. IMO it deserves five stars. It's more than just a good disc golf course.

I figure every large Mecca type area has Home Boy Inflation just because of the number of golfers in the area. More locals= more local reviewers. The courses that stand up to the out of town no dog in the hunt reviewers would seem to have a more trustworthy rating.

not necessarily true. their are several meccas not locally supported on this site, but then again you get into the question of what a mecca is.

Isn't DG about actually playing DG and not worrying about the anemities and whatnot? My local course is very poorly rated in my opinion at around a 3.5 (Basil-Marella in Upstate NY) but that doesn't bother me because it only means less traffic b/c its mostly locals - I figure though after Am. Worlds next summer people will truley see how awesome of a course Basil-Marella is, as well as the other 5-6 courses in Rochester, NY that will be played by out-of-towners, and their ratings will go up.

I understand the point of the OP. 5 out of 5 means the absolute best and can't be improved upon. Again it comes down to opinion. I have only given one 5 out of 5 disc rating (Beaver Ranch/Conifer) out of 75 courses played. That course has dirt teepads and I know that there are some reviewers of that course that will not give it a 5 rating because of that. It is a matter of context. Cement teepads on this course would ruin the overall experience and is much better off without them. I think there has to be a bit rational thinking of what 5 out of 5 means. If not, then it could be easy to pick apart any of the top 10 courses and say they are not perfect and thus give them a 4.5 instead. But there is a reason why a top 10 course is rating so high for a reason, that even if there is a mundane detail that is not perfect, it still stands alone as a truly great course.

Isn't DG about actually playing DG and not worrying about the anemities and whatnot? My local course is very poorly rated in my opinion at around a 3.5 (Basil-Marella in Upstate NY) but that doesn't bother me because it only means less traffic b/c its mostly locals - I figure though after Am. Worlds next summer people will truley see how awesome of a course Basil-Marella is, as well as the other 5-6 courses in Rochester, NY that will be played by out-of-towners, and their ratings will go up.

One thing that is under appreciated is that a 3.5 rated course is top notch. Anything 3.5 or better is really a must play in any area.

One thing that is under appreciated is that a 3.5 rated course is top notch. Anything 3.5 or better is really a must play in any area.

Very true. People seem to have the idea that a 3-3.5 rated course is average rather than understanding that those ratings should mean it's a pretty good to really good course. If I give out a 3.5, it's a course I would go out of my way to play again.

Very true. People seem to have the idea that a 3-3.5 rated course is average rather than understanding that those ratings should mean it's a pretty good to really good course. If I give out a 3.5, it's a course I would go out of my way to play again.

a 2.5 is an average course. and i would go out of my way to play a 3.5+ course for sure

I have played 85 courses and if I got to chose one of those courses to be my favorite it would be Basil Marella. I think I rated it 3.5 if has flaws and I had to rate it without bias. If Rochester had a 5 disc rated course it would be Parma.

Latest posts