• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine Complaint Thread

I mean, we're not talking a couple of discs or tee shirts here, this is serious money!

Can I get the $1000 in advertising back? I haven't even seen one issue yet...

Now, there's somebody with a complaint!

For most, it was a small amount of money dropped on a longshot. Maybe those issues will be collectible items one day, as the last independent disc golf magazine ever.

Yeah, I read the entirety of Hucker Mag's FB page tonight, as well as a good portion of UB's FB page.

I also read the All Things Disc Golf interview.

There's a lot of conflicting information that makes things look really fishy, imho.

OMG....I totally forgot about this. I did finally get my first issue, did not ever get my t-shirt. I posted complaints numerous times. Of course I never got a second issue, I don't think anyone did. I am chalking it up as a case of buyer beware. Guess it was a bad idea to subscribe to a start up magazine.

I did around 650 dollars, give or take, worth of work for that magazine and got nothing in return. Not as much as Salient lost, of course, but I put a lot of time into my freelancing for them.

Scam artists, that's all I can say.

I did get my shirt (long after it was promised) and did get the first issue late as well. I purchased the black friday special thingy they did which I felt even if I just get the shirt it's worth the 15 bucks even if I never see a single issue. I was smart about my expectations in regards to their grand "ideas" but I do feel something needs to be done for those that never received anything.

My buddy got one issue and a tee-shirt. The shirt was too small for him, so he gave it to me.

Looks like I may be the only one ahead in this whole ordeal (except Hucker Magazine, of course).

I don't understand why people are settling for "well, I had low expectations and a t-shirt was enough to justify me not doing anything about being defrauded." :\

It sounds like there was a nebulously defined business relationship between UB Disc Golf and Hucker Magazine. At least, the owner of UB Disc Golf was named as one of two people behind Hucker.

All Things Disc Golf said:
Before we get into the details, we've seen many trying to figure out who is behind Hucker Magazine? Who are you and how will you be able to remain neutral?

Hucker Magazine: There are two of us, Michael Brouphy and Phillip Murray.

Michael Brouphy owns UB Disc Golf. I'd be asking the owner of UB some hard questions regarding exactly what that business relationship was....so far his answers have been awfully short on details.

Michael Brouphy/UB Disc Golf said:
We were a part early on and quickly realized it would be too much for me to handle by myself and that I would rather just do design work, I do know that there were about 300 subscriptions and te first issue cost 8,000 to print 1000 copies any qty less would have cost more then 8,000. The owner came out of his pocket a large chunk to cover shipping cost and not a single company wanted to advertise making it very hard to make anything happen. I am willing to send a Procul to people that didn't receive anything first. I don't want anyone to feel like the got got but I know the owner has no way to make up for anything because it put him in the hole as it is

Didn't Kilgore at Salient say he gave them $1000 for advertising?

And most importantly, UB again connects themselves with Hucker, straight from Brouphy's mouth. Just because "you realize it would be too much to handle" doesn't allow you to simply walk away after you've taken people's money.

Again, I'll ask: what exactly was the legal business relationship between UB and Hucker?

Hucker Magazine committed breach of contract. They also probably committed internet/wire fraud as well.

If UB Disc Golf had certain specific business ties to Hucker, then they may be legally responsible.

My partner Steve and I reached out to Hucker asking for a single copy after things began to go bad. We sent discs and money without a single reaponse since May. I was not aware UB was involved until recently...apparently UB has sent discs to people that got shafted. We have yet to see any kind of resolution. That's all I can say now but we will wait patiently and let the professionals handle it.

When i say i stepped out from having responsibility i mean i literally had nothing to do with with any money in anyway, i never even got paid for the entire 72 page magazine that i designed, not one bit of the company is in my name, the magazine was talked about between me and the owner and after the first couple of weeks of discussing the plans i informed him that i would step back and only help with designing the magazine.