• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hudson Mills Review

DirtyMittenDG

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
so this was my review on hudson mills-

((((("""""Pros: Course Maintenance- Very well taken care of. No graffiti or vandalism!

Hole Variety- Mostly Open Throws with random trees in the fairway and semi dense rough surrounding it, also has a decent amount of holes that are straight and tightly wooded on both sides.

Signs- Both Am and Pro Tees have signs with direction to pin and distance of the hole

Maps/Course Navigation- You probably dont need a map but it wouldnt hurt to pick one up because it doubles as a score card. Also when the course splits for either 18 or 24, there is a clear sign that tells you what way to go.

Tee Pads- Good length, the am pads have wood chips surrounding the pads, the pro tees do not.

Access To Course- Easy access from US-23, before you tee off you have to walk into the club house and get a wrist band

Cons: Traffic- I went early in the day but I here that it can get pretty crowded

-Some Holes are a little too dense and can easily eat your disc if you shank it

-Some Pins are very hard to spot from the tee

-A little too much "5-0"Other Thoughts: Course Atmosphere- Someone already said this but I too would say it has a "country club" feel! Heavy police force might ruin your good atmosphere feel though, unless you like cops of course, lol

Amount to Play- $4.00 per car, then $2.00 per person to play

Course Layout- I would say this course deffinetly favors "big arm" over "tech" throwers, still a few tech holes though

Amount of Hazards- Only 1 or 2 times that water is a factor, walking paths can come into play a certain holes, also the road on a few, and alot of the straight shots in the woods are very dense on both sides (In the woods I found 3 discs and lost one of them I found)

-I hate to only rate it a 4 and possibly make a michigan course fall from the top 5 but I will be honest and say that it is a "4" at most. I could maybe see where people are coming from rating it a 5 just because there is another 24 holes course on the same propery.

-Personaly I believe that this course isnt as good as Beauty or Beast in ludington, and for sure no flip city but its a very nice course that very well represents a typical course layout in southeast Michigan

- A little over rated but deffinetly worth a play at least once""""")))))

and so far 0 out of 2 people found this review helpful!!!

I have a good fealing that people discriminate their own courses and will not give the true rating, Hudson mills is a 4 at best and im not scared to say that, even being a michigan resident who believes their state is the best.

After playing a true 5 star in "Flip City" theres no way anyone could honestly say that they are equal to each other, the overall lack of hole variety and lack of elevation use made it an easy 4.

Before I Reviewed anymore courses I posted a thread called, "proper review", in this thread I got basically what was the formula for a perfect review, and everyone agreed. On this last review I tried to get every detail from the thread in. Now i'm getting "no's"! I think the "reviews" on here and the "did you find this review helpful" button are kinda misleading.

If I get a few more "no's" on my review im proly jus gonna stop reviewing courses completely. I mean theres no point if your explaining every thing you can and people still arn't finding it helpful.

I wouldn't let 2 non-helpful votes get you down. Maybe those people were just having a bad day or something. There are way more people that read your review and don't vote than the other way around so it's helping people whether they indicate it or not.

I grew up on Hudson Mills, and I won't argue with that review. It was twice as nice a decade ago. Those alt. pins were not needed, many trees have fallen or grown too much (bushes as well!).

The fairways do not get cleaned up as they should be over time, like #10 Original has a row of bushes that have grown 20' and now block the good line I learned to throw well over time. Same as on the Monster Alt's.

I hate the pay to play, I left town anyway but I doubt I'd buy a pass what with my own course 20 miles away.

I don't feel like it rewards big-arms over technical throwers however, even from longs. Many of the longer holes (350-450' of which are only about 1/3 of the holes) have tight lines that a big arm with no accuracy will get severely punished by. There are only half a dozen wide open bomber shots off a tee between 48 holes.

It's a lot more fun for doubles becuase you usually don't have to play from off the fairways!

Maybe you annoyed the "5-O" who patrol DGCR ;)

Keep the reviews coming.

ERic

I agree with the "helpful" button being misleading. I started off using it to indicate if the review helped me decide whether or not to play the course, or gave useful information for my round. That criteria doesn't really apply if it's a course I'm familiar with and I started finding reviews that had some useful informaton but I didn't feel was accurate. So I have started rated reviews on not only how well it was laid out but on how much I agreed with the assesment. I thought your review was well written but I disagreed with too many of your descriptions to give it a "helpful", If it's any consolation I did spend several minutes going back and forth. I think every reviewer has the right to describe and rate a course based on his or her own opinion. I also think that the other users on the site have the right to disagree. If you want to know specifically what I agreed or disagreed with just PM me I'm not gonna debate it here I just wanted to let you know.

Really, I don't understand why the "helpful" thing even matters to someone. If I go on here to look up a course before visiting it, I just look to see what others have said, pictures, costs, etc...If I found someone gave me that sort of info then i give em a 'helpful' tick, if I get something lame like "This course sucks, it's got homeless people living there"...then they get the "not helpful". Because you didn't tell me anything about the course.

Whether someone likes a course or not is purely subjective, and I'm open to hear all criticisms and praises equally so I can go and see for myself.

I see others complain about the "helpful" thing and whether or not someone gave em a thumbsup or thumbsdown....I mean really, does it matter? Why get so worked up about it. Who cares what someone else thought of your review as long as you give decent details.

I think PhattD is on the wrong track. I don't believe you should vote non-helpful just because you disagree with what is said. You can do that in your own review. I see lots of reviews of courses I have played and often disagree with the ratings or what is said but that is their opinion. The more info on a course the better and to me a helpful review is one that gives you info. Mostly though I agree with djext1 that its really not that big of a deal and why does it matter what others think.

Why do you let small stuff get you down so much? You enjoy playing courses and you must enjoy reviewing them or you wouldn't do it. And yet this is at least the second time you've posted here complaining that someone didn't find your review useful. Just roll with it. If you enjoy what you're doing and write what you think is a good review then chances are someone out there in cyberspace is going to get good information out of it.

Good review

I thought it was a thorough review, and well written, so I gave you a thumber. You expressed your opinion, so don't let the nay-sayers get you down. Keep the good reviews coming!

I also forgot to say that if too many people with HBB rated this course as a 5, but it's really closer to a 4, then I'd be really irritated if I made a special trip expecting to play one of the best courses in the U.S. only to discover that it didn't match the hype. (<--That was a run on sentence!)

So if you see it as a 4 then give it a 4 even if others don't like that.

I agree that the reviews should keep coming 100%. No matter how many "not helpfuls" are received. When I first started reviewing courses, I reviewed my home course and the course about 10 miles away. I am in no way an active club member. I help on clean-ups and stuff but I don't attend all the league events and tourneys...its just not my thing. But evidently these 2 courses have rival clubs. I gave one course a 3.5 and the other a 3. I got 5 not helpfuls within a week on the 2 reviews.I had figured they were doing this thinking I was giving my home course a slight edge because of HBB. I was just being honest. Since then, many others have reviewed these two courses and most have put my home course around a 4. The other course usually gets between a 3 and a 3.5. So the bottom line is, people just didn't agree with me, but the overall results have shown that I was pretty accurate. Long story short, we all get "not helpfuls" because people disagree with our opinions. No big deal. I just want people who go to a course that i've reviewed to have some expectation of what they will get.

So far I have reviewed 41 courses and have 13 "not helpfuls"...5 of the 13 came from these two courses. People take pride in their home courses and courses they work on. I don't agree with giving a NH for simply disagreeing, but it happens.

I don't agree with giving a NH for simply disagreeing, but it happens.

I only give a rating of NH if there isn't enough substance in the review. I never base it on HBB or any other factor. It's the reviews that don't mention any details about the course specifically that are not helpful. It's great if someone thinks a course was fun or if it was awful (in their opinion) -- but follow that opinion with details that explain why you feel like you feel.