• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hurricane damage!

Castle Hayne is my home course and there's a lot of sandy soil (uprooted trees possible) and old-growth pine (falling limbs possible) so yeah, we're worried for it.
The worst windy weather will be around 2-3am, and then the rest is storm surge and flood damage.
The course has been through worse.
Not nearly as important as the people trying to ride this out in a mobile home...

they just reported wilmington having 5" already... they could be looking at a foot of rain water and wilmington floods like a mofo... castle hayne could be pretty f'ed up by the end of this.

I would suspect Bayville & Munden Park might get severe damage from this. Newport News Park & New Quarter might as well, but hopefully not as much. Hopefully they all can make it through relatively unharmed.

Thoughts and prayers with you guys out there. May your families and courses be safe! I was thinking today about how the East had that earthquake (Bush/Obama's fault) and how the West doesn't see hurricanes. '89 Oak vs SF MLB World Series quake was a fun one though. I was hiding under the table watching our refrigerator wobble like a booty at an ATL night club.

I seriously hope no one is trying to do that. They have shelters up for people. A mobile home is the WORST thing to be in, in any natural disaster.

i rode out a CAT 1 in a camper on topsail island a couple years back... at first i was like 'oh this aint ****'.... but that quickly became omg this camper is swaying back and forth like a mofo and i'm going to die.

they just reported wilmington having 5" already... they could be looking at a foot of rain water and wilmington floods like a mofo... castle hayne could be pretty f'ed up by the end of this.

I was watching the weather channel and they reported a drowning in Castle Hayne so it doesn't look good.:mad:

I'll be checking on Castle Hayne in the am. But that storm wasn't that bad at all. I've been through way worse and so has the Castle. Glenburnie could have got rocked though.

I think I may have lost the 4 month old course I built......I'm told the park is under 15 feet of water that is raging.......I shouldve been a bastard and built elevated baskets for all 9 holes

I was going to remove the baskets today but decided that silt and mud would ruin the sleeves forever and to ride it out....I shouldve just bought 300 dollars worth of new sleeves....FML

I think I may have lost the 4 month old course I built......I'm told the park is under 15 feet of water that is raging.......I shouldve been a bastard and built elevated baskets for all 9 holes

I was going to remove the baskets today but decided that silt and mud would ruin the sleeves forever and to ride it out....I shouldve just bought 300 dollars worth of new sleeves....FML

dude that sucks... is the park near a river or something, how the hell did 15 feet build up?

i ended up stubbing my toe and it hurts

dude that sucks... is the park near a river or something, how the hell did 15 feet build up?

It's directly next to a major creek and entirely in the flood plain.....every inch of the course was under 2 feet of water this AM...the 3 holes furthest downstream were completely submerged and the main st bridge through town was under water and the first 2 holes are 10 feet below bridge level.....:doh:

From the USGS:

Subject: USGS Issues Landslide Alert for Hurricane Irene: PLEASE DISTRIBUTE

Forecasted heavy rainfall, including likely intense periods of precipitation, may trigger landslides on moderate to steep slopes and locally elsewhere on landslide-prone slopes in the northeastern United States. The advisory area includes eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, eastern New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, but landslides may also occur on other slopes in adjacent states and along coastal bluffs. Some landslides may be damaging and/or pose a threat to life safety and critical infrastructure. The most likely types of landslides triggered by this event will be shallow debris slides and debris avalanches on steep slopes and rock fall, particularly in mountainous areas of the northeastern United States. Locally, debris avalanches, debris flows, and rock falls may pose a threat to life safety. In addition, some areas in the forecast area contain currently active landslides or landslides that have been active in the past few years including earlier in 2011. The forecasted rainfall amounts may lead to elevated pore-water pressures that cause reactivation of some landslides or a temporary acceleration in the velocity of movement. Movement of shallow landslides is most likely to initiate during periods of intense rainfall, but movement of deeper landslides may be delayed as pore-water pressures rise in response to the Rainfall. Managers with critical infrastructure or facilities in known landslide hazard areas should make assessments and take appropriate measures, as necessary, to reduce losses in advance of the arrival of the predicted cyclone. Periodic inspections of slope conditions on and adjacent to critical infrastructure, as feasible, are recommended during and after periods of the heavy rainfall.

Pretty sure the courses will be alright.... we've had baskets smashed by trees before and raised $$ to replace them.

Check on your family and friends. No amount of money can replace them.

well we made it through ok.Glennburnie park has some tree's down. i couldnt get all the way in cause of flooding near the gate. I also heard Newport News and Bayville took some damage. 36 hours without power. just got it back. God do i love air conditioning.

Heard today that Newport news park has major tree damage. Bayville park is closed, not sure if its due to trees or what. Sri have no power in my area. Police officer said 1-2 weeks before everyone gets power back.

Latest posts