• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Creek in NY

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
The basket in the creek looks REALLY pretty and unique. Is the water OB or casual? i.e.- is there a penalty throw added for going in it?

Lowe

The water is OB. It's a tough hole. Starts off narrow and downhill slightly with a straight/left/right turn before another straight slight downhill to the river. I'm sure an advanced LHBH or RHFH thrower could snake down for an easy approach and putt. I think it's one of the most creative pin placements out there though! I believe it's a par 4.

Hole 16

Hi guys,
Hole 16 is actually a par 5.
All downhill, multiple twists. and then stay out of OB
Hyzer is a great course. All sorts of shots are needed to shoot par
Greg

Currently being installed....... concrete tee pads !!

57692_g.jpg

Latest news is that 9 were poured........... #1 in place and he poured 8 more in the parking area. Gonna be tough relocating them to the tee areas.

short tee pads.......the bane of disc golf courses everywhere:(.......looks like a great course though

Is it normal to pour pads in one place and transport the entire block of concrete to its resting place?

I would think that if you have the capability to haul a whole pad to its location you might as well haul the raw materials and pour it in place. That way you avoid making the "banes" Jesse mentioned above.

Seems pretty odd but if the topography calls for it I guess more power too you.

Is it normal to pour pads in one place and transport the entire block of concrete to its resting place?

I would think that if you have the capability to haul a whole pad to its location you might as well haul the raw materials and pour it in place. That way you avoid making the "banes" Jesse mentioned above.

Seems pretty odd but if the topography calls for it I guess more power too you.

The holes we did were all under 200 ft....... a 6' pad is plenty. And hauling 50+ bags of Quikcrete, a mixer & other neccessities is just not possible at Hyzer Creek.

The Adirondacks is rugged country. I never played a Colorado course but i'm thinking that the mountains are probably similar there too.

Reasons for pouring slabs in the parking lot instead of shlepping the cement out to the tees in bags and mixing them with water and pouring them there:

1. each tee pad requires 30 bags of concrete 50 pounds each. For 18 tee pads that's 540 bags of concrete mix. Since I don't feel like lugging 540 bags of concrete mix into the woods, it ain't gonna happen.

2. lugging a portable electric cement mixer to each tee and finding water to mix with the 30 bags for each tee and paying rent on the mixer, and finding electricity to run the cement mixer which means lugging a generator out, and gasoline to fuel the generator, it ain't gonna happen

3. During the first 12 hours after pouring concrete you have to keep it wet or it won't cure right, it will just crumble. Especially in 90 degree weather and sunny. Pouring slabs in the parking lot I just ran a garden hose all day keeping the slabs wet as the concrete cured. If I poured the slabs at the tees, my garden hose doesn't reach hole 15 from the cabin that's 1800 feet of hose. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen.

4. The concrete they deliver is professionally mixed and 70 dollars a yard, delivered, and mixed just right. A yard of concrete that you mix yourself is about 60 of those 50 pound bags which cost $5.99 each, NOT delivered and NOT mixed. 60 bags times $5.99 is $360 per yard. Ask yourself, would you rather pay 70 dollars a yard for professionally mixed and delivered concrete, or 360 dollars a yard for bags of unmixed and undelivered concrete?

5. Each tee pad requires about 1/2 yard of concrete. That is $35 my way and $180 the other way.

5. Disposing of 540 empty bags is a bitch.

6. Did you really think I was going to mix 540 bags of concrete?

It's really not so much that Hyzer Creek's topography is a problem, of getting cement mixers and bags and stuff in there. I think every course has the same problem. Cement mixers weigh 27,000 pounds empty and hold 40,000 pounds of concrete. They cost $240,000 and nobody is going to send a 1/4 million dollar rig in where it can get damaged, tip over or sink in the mud. I suppose if you have a course in Kansas where there are driveways to all the tee pads, you can do it this way.

As for the cost of mixing bags of concrete yourself with water at each tee pad, the professional concrete as delivered is many many times cheaper, and better. It makes a better pad that won't crack, made of 1400 or 1450 concrete whereas the stuff they sell in bags is inferior and depends on you mixing it right, which you probably wont, and the tee pad will crack and never cure right for the reasons outlined in my post.

Basically, if you make tee pads with bags of concrete and mixing them, you are doing it the wrong way.

The 5x8s are in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs. We used a single axle flatbed trailer. Come-alongs and tow straps attached to nearby trees to manuver them on/off the trailer and into place.

So far we've moved three 4x6 ones and three 5x8 ones. Hole #1 was able to be poured in place.

The last 4 pictures show how we get them on the trailer. Hyzer Concrete tees

Last edited:
Holy crap! This was actually an interesting thread. I never considered the actual numbers or logistics that installing concrete tees involves. Big Moe's and CaptainAnhyzer's posts are eye opening to say the least.

When you consider howremote some tees are on certain courses, I'm actually suprprised concrete pads are so common. It's not as if Scotty can just beam them in. Don't think I'll EVER take a concrete pad for granted again!

To all those who've poured or moved a concrete pad on my favorite courses - THANKS! :thmbup: :clap:

Latest posts