• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip Advice Needed

Try an ESP Meteor and thank me later.

I've thrown some incredibly straight Meteors that I wouldn't consider hyzer-flip discs. Those are an early run, though, and I think I've noticed the newer ones being more understable.

If you want to learn a hyzer-flip, the Stratus is a disc that will definitely hyzer-flip every time. I strongly recommend it.

After reading this and many other threads on hyzer flipping, something clicked in brain and so far it has transferred to the course. I threw much more consistently by trying to hyzer flip (Leopard, Cheetah) my drives. I was getting them out in the 240' - 250' range (good for me) how much, if any, distance would I potentially gain by discount up to a Valk or similarly understable driver

After reading this and many other threads on hyzer flipping, something clicked in brain and so far it has transferred to the course. I threw much more consistently by trying to hyzer flip (Leopard, Cheetah) my drives. I was getting them out in the 240' - 250' range (good for me) how much, if any, distance would I potentially gain by discount up to a Valk or similarly understable driver

If your Leopard is only going 240 then I can't imagine a Valk will gain you very much distance. Maybe an extra 10'-15', but on a less straight line.

If your Leopard is only going 240 then I can't imagine a Valk will gain you very much distance. Maybe an extra 10'-15', but on a less straight line.
Ok I figured, I have a Valk and Archangel somewhere in the garage. Wantedx to know if it was worth digging them out. Sounds like I'm sticking with my Leos

Ok I figured, I have a Valk and Archangel somewhere in the garage. Wantedx to know if it was worth digging them out. Sounds like I'm sticking with my Leos

If you already have them, then there's no harm in giving them a few tosses. I just wouldn't advise going out and buying more drivers if Leos are only going 240.

My son learned to hyzer flip his 162 Star Roadrunner this season and has had some beautiful lazer straight low lines about 275". Absolutely killer in the woods! His big breakthrough though is flattening it a little on the release for a hyzer flip to a gentle anny that just starts to fade to straight right at the end of the flight. personally i use high speed drivers ( seasoned ESP Nukes and Star Bosses) but i have no where near the pinpoint control he has with the Roadrunner. For shorter shots i use my CE 156 Leopard at about 80% power for tight lines .

Update: did some field work with my Leopard (DX 172g) and a couple other understable disks, an Archangel (DX 166g) and a Roadrunner (GS 149g). I can hyzer flip all of them to some extent but the Roadrunner works the best, maybe because it's so much lighter. Release angle makes a big difference. For the Leo and the Arch if I put too much hyzer angle on it they just stayed hyzer. But flatten out the angle a bit and they popped up very nicely and sometimes flipped over. The Roadrunner I can throw on a sharper hyzer and it still pops up and flips, especially into a headwind. With my old Wraith (DX 143g) I had to throw it on a very sharp hyzer angle to keep it from flipping too soon, and into a headwind: no way.

Update: did some field work with my Leopard (DX 172g) and a couple other understable disks, an Archangel (DX 166g) and a Roadrunner (GS 149g). I can hyzer flip all of them to some extent but the Roadrunner works the best, maybe because it's so much lighter. Release angle makes a big difference. For the Leo and the Arch if I put too much hyzer angle on it they just stayed hyzer. But flatten out the angle a bit and they popped up very nicely and sometimes flipped over. The Roadrunner I can throw on a sharper hyzer and it still pops up and flips, especially into a headwind. With my old Wraith (DX 143g) I had to throw it on a very sharp hyzer angle to keep it from flipping too soon, and into a headwind: no way.

I think what you may be seeing as the release angle (hyzer<->flat) could be a different angle you aren't thinking about. Nose angle is very important for throwing a hyzerflip or hyzer in general. The more nose down you throw the disc the easier it is to hyzer flip, and the further you can throw a hyzer. Most likely this is a grip issue, do some grip research and make sure you are gripping correctly first.

Next time you do field work try throwing more nose down and see how that affects your flight. (This could be helpful for OP as well) Also, of course a headwind will flip the disc up better, headwinds always flip discs more..