• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Hyzerbomb Mortar

Got a chance to throw my pearly recon and frontline today a bit. Right now I bag a 2015 ledgestone ti flx zone, c line fd2, and a couple firebirds. I thought the mortar might be a bit redundant but I was getting an extra 30-40 feet from where the zone was landing. Anything longer than a zone and I was powering down the fd2. So zone forehand to about 250, fd2 250-300, and firebird over 300. I was getting the mortar a little shy of 300 with some stank. Frontline still faded like the recon but was prone to turn over a little if I didn't release clean. Normally I like gstar but mine was a tad soft for my liking, albeit it was right at 100 here today.

Long story short I'm a fan, not nearly as insanely beefy like the last few gators I've thrown. Definitely overstable but workable overstable. I'd be interested to see how the infinite batch of swirlies turned out, I think I'd prefer a regular star run to frontline.

Bro I think you're the first person I've come across who also bags Ti FLX Zones. I carry one at all times, love that plastic so much. Perfect forehand approach disc, which is why I didn't bother getting a Frontline-X Mortar.

Last edited:
I'm a bit fuzzy on the tax thing too. It's my understanding that the item shipped from Kansas. I live in WA. I believe that the way nexus works is that it does not allow a company based in Kansas and shipping from Kansas to charge a sales tax to non-Kansas customers. $5 shipping for 2 discs is ok, the tax thing really isn't.

The tax is one reason I will never order from Hyzerbomb again, along with the unannounced mold change, lack of communication regarding order substitutes (got the wrong color), and overcharging of shipping. It's a shame because I have one of their packs, but regardless...

They are based in Texas and collect Texas sales tax because it's an origin state.

However, since shipments are NOT being made from Texas (the origin) and are being done through a remote nexus (Kentucky is where mine came from), one could argue a need to charge sales tax from the nexus state.

I do not know if operating from a nexus would preclude the collection of another state's origin tax.

I live in Oregon (which does not have sales tax), and no other online business ever charges me sales tax. Somehow every other online business has figured out how this works including those that charge sales tax (correctly) for people that live in other states. I don't think Hyzerbomb needs to charge me sales tax, but if that were their only failing it wouldn't keep me away. It's the combination of many things, including the outrageous per disc shipping charges. Also, wtf, they just changed the Mortar mold without telling anyone? In the past, those were definitely beadless Gators, and now they look totally different (and apparently flying differently as well). It may still be a great mold, but no thanks to this company. There are way too many great discs to mess with this nonsense.

so,there is huge discussion on the millennium group about the supposed mold change. most do not see the difference in wings or nose, just that one has a bead and one doesnt. also,that the older morter configuration was before hyzerbomb so thats why it has a bead. i never had recons so i cant compare runs. matt siri chimed in and still says that there isnt a mold change and apparently already had a conversation with someone about it,just came off a bit annoyed that he was still being questioned. i dont know about you guys who have both and i dont have both at all but they look like different molds ,more than just a lack of bead. i dont have any mortars to compare from different runs yadda yadda but i saw a difference.

It's been a while since I owned a mortar so I honestly can't comment. I like how this newest run flies, they're overstable but not bricks.

I have a first run Frontline-X in storage. I also have an old Dx Cro. I'm going to have to dig them out now and compare. Stay tuned. Our someone else who has both can post profile pictures.

i have a beadless gator and a friend has an old mortar and new one. the old mortar and beadless gator are the exact same disc.

Can anyone post a profile pic of the new and old mortar? I only have the old ones and I want to see the differences

I'll be able to do it once I go out to my storage unit and dig out my first run mortar. :thmbup: Who knows what other goodies I'll find in there. Probably just a bunch of unthrown Champ Terns I still need to get rid of....:doh:

I picked one up at this year's Am Worlds FlyMart and gave it a try on a few holes where I needed a strong finish. I am new to the disc and was running off their description and recommendations. First throw had way more giddy-up-and-go than I anticipated. It had more glide than I was lead to believe and overshot my intended landing spot by 30+ feet. Second opportunity, it had the ideal flight and the exact line I wanted (I have been having horrendous griplock issues all week, so it was really nice to finally hit a line), and hit pole from 260 feet.

I was immediately impressed and jumped online to buy another. However, I instantly clicked out of the order when I saw the shipping.

Then I came here to learn more, and I am not liking what I am reading in this thread. I like the one, but the way I run my bags and set-ups, I would not feel comfortable unless I had three.

Run 1.3 recon is not what I expected after playing a few rounds with it. Way too much glide and doesn't take power fh drives very well. Not as OS as I expected, definitely not going to replace the Buzzz OS in my bag as my OS mid.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a first run frontline-x on my sale page if anyone needs to compare. It does have a bead. I don't have any gators around anymore to compare. I also have an older Recon (no bead) from before they were able to get them as flat. I liked the first run for FH approach, which is unusual for a bead. I don't bag them because I have bergs for that stuff.

I forgot the First Run has a microbead. In any event, the old Mortar has a concave wing, the new one has a slightly convex wing.

I'll just leave this here.

2017-07-23%2020.50.29.jpg

Yep, the mold is simply not the same as it was. Nothing inherently wrong with changes to a mold, but the silence and/or outright denial about the changes to this one by Hyzerbomb is really dumb. How hard is it to for companies (Innova-based especially) to show transparency on issues like this? Customers almost universally appreciate being kept out of the dark, just look at how positively folks have responded to the approach Mint has taken with the Alpha. Total shot to the foot by Hyzerbomb on this new disc release that had so many people excited about it.

Latest posts