• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HyzerUnibomber

flowinowen

Jason,

I'm wondering if you have a suggestion of a progression for your technique videos? I thought this would be more beneficial to all as a post than as a private message. Thanks!!

I'd love to have an "agreed-upon-as-possible" building block learning system. I'd actually be interested in trying to do a very concise video series that could fit into an ordered lesson series. Unfortunately I'm shooting all my videos on an iPhone and my editting skills are basically Windows Movie Maker... so up to this point it's either, "hey, this is where I'm at" or "this drill seems to work" type videos.

A big part of the issue is that each golfer would come to the progression at a different skill set and different issues that need fixing - but I think you could build form pretty well from the ground up... and let the players work through the series at their own pace with some benchmarks to shoot for.

When I give a lesson, the first thing I do is to watch the player throw a bunch of shots and look at their feet. Prior to anything else, I want them to start with the lower body prepped for success. I've yet to give a lesson to a player who will have the heel of their back foot off the ground, so I stick a putter under their back heel and tell them not to mess up my disc.

Then it's general posture and backswing timing and disc alignment. Learning to backswing with a 1-step with your spine upright. This can be very time consuming because most guys will have some ingrained habits.

Then it's plant foot alignment and how the heel down initiates the disc coming forward... with a health dose of re-fixing posture and feet.

Coming into the power zone: Hand on the outside, posture, bracing - not leading forward with the head.

Strong follow through, balance and I use the perpetual motion drill to reinforce balance.

THEN I do grip and disc alignment - which seems like it should be first, but until that point everything is a hot mess anyways with discs spraying everywhere.

As you can see, doing a true segment by segment video lesson series would be a substantial amount of work!

So to answer the OP's question, I don't really have a technique video series that steps through all the stuff. SW22 has a bunch, RHatton has a bunch - I have a bunch, but they're disparate and don't exactly lead into one another.

It's a good discussion though and I'd love to see some progress in our community about building a swing.

A big part of the issue is that each golfer would come to the progression at a different skill set and different issues that need fixing - but I think you could build form pretty well from the ground up... and let the players work through the series at their own pace with some benchmarks to shoot for.

Kind of a truism for learning/teaching anything. But in some sports i've played as well as helped coach there can simply be an amazing variety of skill level and starting places and speed of progression. A disc golf throw might have the most variety i've ever seen in a sporting motion as far as good athletes that have huge road blocks and people that have things click with minor tweaks.

That said it would be very cool to have a series of video blocks to develop a proper foundation of the important points, and drills to go along with them.

THEN I do grip and disc alignment - which seems like it should be first, but until that point everything is a hot mess anyways with discs spraying everywhere.

IF a video series were to be put together as a step by step do you think you would put this closer to the front?

As you can see, doing a true segment by segment video lesson series would be a substantial amount of work!

Absolutely, but from your answer, it sounds like you already have a skeleton to work with. For now, I'll be using a keyword search :D

#1: Reach back wide

If you're not doing that, it's hard to feel what is going to make a more powerful proper swing.

Latest posts