• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I-70 corridor from Pittsburgh to Lincoln

Jabumbo

Par Member
So in a few weeks I will be making the drive from Pittsburgh to Lincoln, NE. I would like to play at least one course a day to break up the driving.

I will pretty much hop on I-70 and go through Dayton, Indianapolis, St Louis and Kansas City. From there, I was considering hopping over into Kansas before driving north into Nebraska.

Assuming I will be taking extended stops around those larger cities named, and don't want to stray too far from the highway if possible, what places should be on my list?

In the Dayton area, try to hit Sycamore and Belmont if possible. I'd recommend Handyman Ace Hardware as well, but the grass in the fairways was over a foot tall when I played it a couple weeks ago.

St. Louis: Hit Sioux Passage & Briscoe Woods - 2 great courses in the same park
2 Hours on 70 West lands you in Columbia, MO.
You must play Harmony Bends, an AWESOME championship course
2 more hours on 70 West puts you in KC, MO
Waterworks, Blue Valley, Swope, Rosedale, & kessler, etc.
If you can get all those in a weekend, you'll be glad you did

Last edited:
You must play Harmony Bends, an AWESOME championship course.
Make this a Priority Course. Fit other great courses around it along the way... there are many of them. But miss out on HB, and you lose. Courses like that are the reason we do this.

I'd also highly recommend Foundation Park Champ 18, along with echoing Water Works.

Several nice courses here in Columbus, Ohio area but only a few are less than 30 minutes off of 70. Simsbury (Pickerington DGC) is worth stopping for if you've not played it before and it is just a few miles off 70 on the east side of town before you get to the outerbelt.
Buck Creek state park near Springfield, OH is also worth playing and is also not too far out of the way from 70

Several nice courses here in Columbus, Ohio area but only a few are less than 30 minutes off of 70. Simsbury (Pickerington DGC) is worth stopping for if you've not played it before and it is just a few miles off 70 on the east side of town before you get to the outerbelt.
Buck Creek state park near Springfield, OH is also worth playing and is also not too far out of the way from 70

I completely agree with both of these recommendations. Close to I-70 and great courses. If I had to pick only one to pick, it would have to be Buck Creek, it's a blast to play. But, if you're combining this with a lunch stop, Pickerington would be a much better choice. There's even a Skyline Chili there, giving you a real taste of Ohio.....

Some great suggestions so far! I just started putting together my trip using roadtrippers and adding points of interest.

I really love me some Skyline. It's hard to convince people to stop knowing how bad the car will smell in an hour. Thankfully this is a solo trip!

I am ready and willing to try any sort of local food or drink as well, so feel free to suggest those as well!

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but VIP membership to this very site gives you access to the Road Trip feature. Lets you enter Start point and Finish point like any driving map application, but then you can integrate your route into the Courses section. For example, my last trip was any (4 star - 5 Star) course within 10 miles of route and you can see all your options. Find the ones you like and add it to the trip. :thmbup:

Saves time from having to cross reference Course directory with your other map app. Must have for course baggers and road trippers. Between Road Trip and unlimited access to Market Place it makes the VIP membership worth it.

Make this a Priority Course. Fit other great courses around it along the way... there are many of them. But miss out on HB, and you lose. Courses like that are the reason we do this.

I'd also highly recommend Foundation Park Champ 18, along with echoing Water Works.

Haven't played Foundation, but I strongly second the other two - especially Harmony Bends. :thmbup:

I'll second Simsbury (in OH) and Waterworks (my favorite KC course). If Gates BBQ is the old Joe's that too but I liked Arthur Bryant's rib tips better while in KC, you can't go wrong with one though.

Latest posts