• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am Almost Done with DG...

I just played w/ a fella who just started throwing after missing four months following surgery.
He played extremely well in 15-20 mph winds. He said he felt really refreshed after not having thrown for so long, and it showed.

Cut out the negative self-talk! It's 'weak sauce' as a friend used to say. I'm sure you've seen Big Jerm berate himself before. It's looks silly and it disrupts the chi. Dude has a yet untapped level, a 'zone', lying in wait for his maturation.
I like a good hand clap when I fudge up. Over and done with. Lot's more shots to take and make. Water off a duck's back. Reframe failures as 'learned how not to do it'.... see, you're already a straight A student!:D

Exercise. Lift, stretch, sex, etc. Get some endorphins outside of disc golf and bring the momentum to the game.

I agree you've got to rekindle the joy of throwing, as others have said. What shot do you enjoy the most? Go do that. Build off that.

Get a coach. You at least seem to be open to critique.

Finally, if you haven't yet, TRY MVP. THEY ROCK! :hfive:

No need to give up on something you love, but are frustrated with. A break or just playing a bit less may help, but are not necessary.

What is necessary is to change things up. If you go to the same course and do the same things, the outcome will be pretty much the same. Especially as your morale will go down the drain.

Personally, for me just doing some training usually does the trick. 2 hrs on the putting basket will yield results in the very short term. 2 hrs of field work will do the same. If you're not into practicing as such, I would highly recommend one disc / putter only rounds for few weeks.

Second thing is to set the expectations on a realistic level. In addition to the issues with technique, it could be cold, wet or windy and you will not shoot as well. You have to accept that you are making changes to your game and usually that comes with a step backwards before taking the two forward.

And finally the mentality thing is big. Putting yourself down will only make matters worse. When you remember that this is just a slump and it will get better, it will be easier to work on the issues you have. Good times will be back, I promise. :thmbup:

When I am not playing well I try to find an easy course to play. It helps me get back in the groove.

I like to do the opposite... Play a harder course, play from longer tees, or play some safari rounds, anything to make things more difficult. I never keep score when doing that, just try to throw lines that are harder than whats on my regular course. Then when I go back to playing normal all the shots look so much easier.

Sounds like a confidence issue. When you doubt your shots, you don't commit which leads to less distance and up shots fading out early. Commit to every shot and tell yourself "I'm a good putter" before every putt. When you throw a bad shot, just remember that even the pros go OB and miss easy putts occasionally. Try to enjoy being on the course regardless of your score. One shot at a time!

Check my signature for the Golden Rule. In the meantime, take a recess. Go pursue some other hobbies but don't play through a slump. Sometimes it's best to walk away for a bit. If you can't do that yet, try and remember why you enjoyed playing. I can tell you it certainly wasn't crunching numbers! Grab a few beers and play a casual round with friends. Find some easy courses to get the confidence back up. If this is about getting better, the only way I've found to do that is to practice more than you play.

I hope it changes your outlook on the between-the-ears part of golf as much as it did mine! Dang now I'm going to go back and read it again.

Ordered a copy the other day, found one on Amazon for a Penny? :thmbup: Yes, one cent...but the shipping gets ya at $4.00+ depending on how long you want to wait OR NOT wait to get it :rolleyes:.

Still no playing since Monday, not even putting on the home basket and its killing me!

Looks like The Masters will be a good distraction from now until Sunday night :clap:!

Sure wish I had started playing the game before I was 69 years old, but the good thing is, because of my age I have limited expectations. Just love playing the game, and when I start to disappoint myself, I just dial down my expectations.:eek:

Ordered a copy the other day, found one on Amazon for a Penny? :thmbup: Yes, one cent...but the shipping gets ya at $4.00+ depending on how long you want to wait OR NOT wait to get it :rolleyes:.

Still no playing since Monday, not even putting on the home basket and its killing me!

Looks like The Masters will be a good distraction from now until Sunday night :clap:!

If you get bored next weekend and want to make a trip to Baton Rouge, we're doing the grand opening of my first DiscGolfPark. Avery will be there, the local club will be running their league/tag round afterwards, and we might have an appearance by Mr. 1109' himself (pending his schedule...)!

Bring friends, make a day of it, it'll sure be a fun experience to help you reset (am I selling it hard enough yet?).

And don't forget to just go out and throw and not even worry about baskets, score, etc. Sometimes just taking a hike with a putter and throwing once in a while, aiming at trees, etc, etc, is a great time!

Hey man I was there a few months ago. Check out the instructional videos by Feldberg on YouTube they r like a year old. Also read Zen Golf and Zen Putting by Dr Joseph Parent the books are about ball golf but they apply well and help put it n perspective. I also got a local pro to help me with a few things. 2 weeks after receiving a little instruction I was throwing 350 to 375 and my whole confidence was back.

If you get bored next weekend and want to make a trip to Baton Rouge, we're doing the grand opening of my first DiscGolfPark. Avery will be there, the local club will be running their league/tag round afterwards, and we might have an appearance by Mr. 1109' himself (pending his schedule...)!

Bring friends, make a day of it, it'll sure be a fun experience to help you reset (am I selling it hard enough yet?).

Thanks JT, you cant just drop this and run though...we need some details!

Next weekend as in the 16th/17th ? Saturday or Sunday? Times?

Do you have an address for where the course is located?

Sounds tempting...:D.

I hear ya Discguy42. I still stop by these forums a few times a week, but have recently decided to sell off most of what I have dg related and step away from the game for a while. I am just burnt out on the dg scene where I live. I have a small bag of disc's still, just in case I get the itch to go play a round, but I'm over tournaments, leagues, etc. It's been an entertaining 13 years playing this game, but sometimes life just says move on.

Thanks JT, you cant just drop this and run though...we need some details!

Next weekend as in the 16th/17th ? Saturday or Sunday? Times?

Do you have an address for where the course is located?

Sounds tempting...:D.

*clears throat*

The official Grand Opening Ceremony for the Louisiana Healthcare Connections DiscGolfPark at Scotlandville will be next Saturday, April 16th, from 10am - noon.

This is the 3rd DiscGolfPark in the USA and the first one in Louisiana. It's a Par 61, 7600' layout designed by Avery Jenkins. OB or water is in play on 17 of 18 holes, and par is estimated to be around 960-rated.

Come join us for a ribbon cutting at 10:15, refreshments provided by Raisin' Canes, and free disc giveaways courtesy of LHC and BREC (while supplies last). Avery and I will be there to offer tours of the facility as well as host clinics for beginners and kids! Afterward at 12:30 Kingfish Disc Golf will run their weekly league/tag round.

Here's a link to the facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1095472690512706/

Here's a link to the Google Maps location (thanks to our friends at Google for the official tag!):
https://goo.gl/maps/vmcyxjrwGbQ2

Hope you (and everyone that is available!) can come join the fun. We're proud to present what we hope is the first of many top caliber courses in the region!

Bump for my return to throwing. The day I started this thread was the last time I threw disc until today ( which was 4-4-16 ) that included NO putting practice on the home basket either.

I have been reading Golf is Not a Game of Perfect in my down time, great read BTW, I should have read it before now.

I went to the course and played some safari holes to warm up just approaching and putting out my throws.

Then I went to hole #8 a flat, mostly open, 375', only trees are protecting the basket, and threw 10 drives from the tee, threw approaches and then holed them out, then did another set of 10 after that. I only used my Fairways and a lone DD Breakout.

From there it was approaches and putts to the basket.

Then I shortened the hole and threw a few, holed them out as well.

Last thing I did was take a stack of Patriots and made a shorter Safari hole, threw my drives and putted them out to finish the day.

Overall it was pretty good for not throwing for that long. I had some sweet drives and some bad ones too...approaches were so-so and putting was not as bad as I expected as well.

I got really disgusted with DG and myself about a year and a half back.
I was at a scoring stalemate and didn't like my lack of distance.
Decided to tear my form down and spend some time in the field.
I still play regularly, but have found a lot of fulfillment in improving my form.
My distance has improved a lot, but it's been two steps forward, one back.
Still working, but I'm getting there.

Anyways, I fell your pain.
Best of luck on your road back...