• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am Almost Done with DG...

Wow, seems like your putting too much pressure on yourself. Have fun with it, start with the basics once again & just try to improve each time you go out. This is a fun sport, but just that..a hobby, something to do, to compete & just have fun.
There's more important things going on in our world.
Best advice I can tell you is to..care..but don't care.

Also, you need to reprogram your mind!! Being negative after throwing bad shots won't get you very far.
Best of luck to you! Keep us up to date with how it all goes.
And like someone above said, take a week or two off!

As the title says, I am almost at the point of giving up the game. I am just throwing/playing so bad right now that going to the course ruins my day and really makes me hate my self...:(. I know that sounds stupid but I am man enough to admit it.

Disc Golf is not even fun at this point, it has become such a number chasing game and I am almost forcing my self to go play.

Over the last several months my distance has gone from pushing 300' to 320' at times on the course to a good rip ( yeah, right?) gets me 275' max.

I used to be good at approach shots now that's gone, I am weak-arming my shots and they hyzer/fade too early. I have lost the ability to throw a straight mid/putter shot.

I got decent around the basket from 25' and in for a while, now I get "basket panic" on 10 footers :doh:. I have zero confidence at the moment...

My mental game is not existent and I continually tell my self "You Suck" after every mistake...bad drives ,bad ups , missed putts.

Feeling like having a disc clearing house sale right now. Keep an eye out for my sale thread.

Most likely I need to take a break for a bit and comeback to it. I used to do this every year at one point, no playing, no dg on the internet, etc. Just sequester my self away for a couple of weeks or so.

The weather was sooo great here that we pretty much did not have a winter season. I just could not "not" play when the weather was so awesome thru Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Pretty sure it has been over a year ( maybe two ) of playing with no break time/time away. I might just disappear for a bit or lurk here and there occasionally. I really don't want to give up the game. I am just tired of being so excited to go play and then quickly being so disappointed with my self afterwards...:confused:.

Thanks for letting me vent and "share my feelings" ( I know men are not supposed to do that right? ) with you guys here. This is a great place and would miss it if I quit cold turkey.

Put some time in volunteering on a local course, maintaining it, cleaning it up. Give you some perspective, bet it will help your game too. Most training I do prior to major tournaments is course work, less actual practice. Anyways, clears the head and helps you give back to the sport.

Today was the first time to throw some approaches and putts on the home basket since I started this thread ( 4-4-16 ).

Warmed up in the 12 foot zone around the basket, then got out a bit further for a while. Then I took a Stud and my go to Proto Colt to throw some shots to the basket and hole each throw out. One disc was for direct shots and the other was for the hyzer for a little variety.

I was surprised that I made all but a few from my worst/furthest away lies. I even hit a nice uphill 40 footer from my worst approach of the day :thmbup: . I did not plan to try any from that far but I figured, what the heck.

I am also going to play a course out of town with a friend tomorrow, I struggled the first time I played there, it was windy AND has several long holes. We played a few rounds and I finally got to finish even on the last one.

I am just going to have fun, try to be smooth and NOT "over-throw" the long ones :doh:. Who knows, I might not even keep score...:D.

I played a couple of rounds this morning... solo and I didn't keep score. I felt really good after the 36th hole. It was fun... as it should be.

Have fun discguy42. Worry and fret over food, clothing, shelter and the people you love.

Dont play as much. I was this way once before and I took a few weeks off and went back out and shot great. I try to play about once a week now, but thats fine with me. I usually play well when I do. When I was playing 3-5 times a week is when I was at my worst. I feel it was because I wanted to better myself so bad that I would force myself into alot of mistakes. DG is supposed to be a fun game so thats why I backed off and played less and its helped me alot.

As the title says, I am almost at the point of giving up the game. I am just throwing/playing so bad right now that going to the course ruins my day and really makes me hate my self...:(. I know that sounds stupid but I am man enough to admit it.

Disc Golf is not even fun at this point, it has become such a number chasing game and I am almost forcing my self to go play.

Over the last several months my distance has gone from pushing 300' to 320' at times on the course to a good rip ( yeah, right?) gets me 275' max.

I used to be good at approach shots now that's gone, I am weak-arming my shots and they hyzer/fade too early. I have lost the ability to throw a straight mid/putter shot.

I got decent around the basket from 25' and in for a while, now I get "basket panic" on 10 footers :doh:. I have zero confidence at the moment...

My mental game is not existent and I continually tell my self "You Suck" after every mistake...bad drives ,bad ups , missed putts.

Feeling like having a disc clearing house sale right now. Keep an eye out for my sale thread.

Most likely I need to take a break for a bit and comeback to it. I used to do this every year at one point, no playing, no dg on the internet, etc. Just sequester my self away for a couple of weeks or so.

The weather was sooo great here that we pretty much did not have a winter season. I just could not "not" play when the weather was so awesome thru Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Pretty sure it has been over a year ( maybe two ) of playing with no break time/time away. I might just disappear for a bit or lurk here and there occasionally. I really don't want to give up the game. I am just tired of being so excited to go play and then quickly being so disappointed with my self afterwards...:confused:.

Thanks for letting me vent and "share my feelings" ( I know men are not supposed to do that right? ) with you guys here. This is a great place and would miss it if I quit cold turkey.

You just described me this year! My best rounds have come after a night of debauchery! All other rounds are rated 100 points lower. Lots of alcohol the night before will slow your brain down allowing you to throw well!!!!

Yeah, some times I want to leave my bag at hole #1 with a note that says, " Good Luck" or cut every flight plate and throw all my discs in the nearest trash can :eek:.

Go buy 3 new discs. Discs you've never thrown before. The expectations will go out the window, and you'll enjoy learning the new flights. Or go play a fluke round with like, turbo putts only, tomahawk only. Or, opposite hand. That'll make going back to strong hand that much more enjoyable

Here is another update from 5-9-16...

I did go play a course out of town and actually had fun for a change! This course plays longer than my home course and is a little more open too but they did a good job on the layout. The wind is a major factor playing here as well, it was so windy that even my shorter approach/layup shots were thrown with my most stable Pinnacle Patriot!

We played 4 rounds of 9 holes and I will admit those 36 holes got me a little tired toward the end as I had not played a round in over a month.

I even took some new/un-thrown discs and used them during the rounds with pretty good success.

No official scores were kept/written/logged for the day either, I kind of kept up enough on the course to know that I was one or two over on each of them for the day.

This will sound weak to a few of you ( as I am a nodle-arm ) but I did manage to push several drives to the 300'+ range on the longer holes and was excited because I haven't thrown that far in a while. I got two nice drives on the #8 hole that is 317', I managed to get them pin high right with a nice smooth flight :D.

I even busted out a roller on the #7, 383' downhill hole once :eek:. The wind had been killing me here all day and I figured what the heck and went for it. I never throw rollers and have practiced them maybe 5 times in my disc-ing career. I got it over, it held the angle, hit the ground right, rolled straight toward the pin for a long way and finished nice, I did get my par here that time!

The best part of the day was seeing my friend Paul get his first ever Ace on hole #1 :hfive:, it was a nice slightly downhill 267' skip Ace to boot! Paul was on that day, killed his drives, made some putts and finished under on all but one round that he finished even :thmbup:.

Overall it was an awesome day to get out and have fun with some with a friend and some Frisbee's :p.

Fantastic to hear, thanks for the update. It seems you're finding the love again, congrats!

Here is another update from 5-9-16...

I did go play a course out of town and actually had fun for a change! This course plays longer than my home course and is a little more open too but they did a good job on the layout. The wind is a major factor playing here as well, it was so windy that even my shorter approach/layup shots were thrown with my most stable Pinnacle Patriot!

We played 4 rounds of 9 holes and I will admit those 36 holes got me a little tired toward the end as I had not played a round in over a month.

I even took some new/un-thrown discs and used them during the rounds with pretty good success.

No official scores were kept/written/logged for the day either, I kind of kept up enough on the course to know that I was one or two over on each of them for the day.

This will sound weak to a few of you ( as I am a nodle-arm ) but I did manage to push several drives to the 300'+ range on the longer holes and was excited because I haven't thrown that far in a while. I got two nice drives on the #8 hole that is 317', I managed to get them pin high right with a nice smooth flight :D.

I even busted out a roller on the #7, 383' downhill hole once :eek:. The wind had been killing me here all day and I figured what the heck and went for it. I never throw rollers and have practiced them maybe 5 times in my disc-ing career. I got it over, it held the angle, hit the ground right, rolled straight toward the pin for a long way and finished nice, I did get my par here that time!

The best part of the day was seeing my friend Paul get his first ever Ace on hole #1 :hfive:, it was a nice slightly downhill 267' skip Ace to boot! Paul was on that day, killed his drives, made some putts and finished under on all but one round that he finished even :thmbup:.

Overall it was an awesome day to get out and have fun with some with a friend and some Frisbee's :p.

Great! Now that you're having fun, time to start taking the game way too seriously again! Remember, this is life and death, not golf!

So...after taking a couple of months off from the game, decided to go out and play a couple rounds yesterday. Ended up blasting a couple of 1000+ rated rounds. Only took about 3 holes to get the release point back and the putts were reigning down from everywhere. Now...it'll probably be another couple months before I can get back out again.

The downside, today I am sore as heck.

Good. Your family members can watch the kids while you golf. They gotta earn their keep!

2eaec5d4-e01e-420d-87e8-4b20492c8a7e.png

Here's what I've done to get me over any type of boredom/burn out phase. I have used my position as a math tutor to bring in 2-3 dozen new players to the addiction. So whenever I go play a round, no matter what the course is, I have fresh faces to play with. Of course I'm not going to go to the same course each time, so that keeps it fresh.

I lure people by doubling my disc bag as my school bag. The only things that I usually pack in there are extra pens and some scrap paper. Then people ask me what's in my bag and I show them or I use a disc to show people in Calc II a way of calculating area under a curve called the DISC method. Either way, BOOM, I've got them hooked.

The ones that I my casual rounds with are the ones that I tutor. My mentor is the only one that I play seriously against, but he's always helping with one thing or another, so I don't frustrated. And yes, I used to chase numbers but I said: Fuh-get about it. I'm not a pro and may never be but if I continue improving, I will reach my attainable goals.

I remember my first under par round was at a 27 hole course: Bijou in South Lake Tahoe. I shot a 4 under, could've been 5 under but I was tired and my birdie on hole 27 fell short. I could have had a cow but I realized at that time the finality of a round under par was accomplished, I enjoyed myself and I loved the view of the beautiful backdrop of the mountains in the background.

So believe in yourself, take care of you and have FUN.

Latest posts