• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can BARELY break 300'

I have two videos today because my cameraperson thought I was just doing the one throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95wEsJMj4ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZXoD-e9B4

I think I may have figured something out. I was watching the shawn clement video about getting braced against the right side, and I played with a sledgehammer again and found that if I imagine I am trying to hit a wall or a nail from the side, its very easy for me to get into the right position and brace if I'm going to my left (like a typical golf swing). It was a lot harder to do it on my right side like one would typically do for throwing a disc, and so I practiced until it felt a little more natural.

My other revelation was the heavy momentum idea. To be honest I never really understood how swinging the disc down below me like I was swinging a heavy weight could really transfer to a disc golf shot. Its not that I didn't believe that it did, I just never really understood how or why. Yesterday in the field I decided to say screw it and just throw the disc with the angle almost completely perpendicular to the ground, like I was throwing a heavy weight. When I did this I think I finally felt the heavy momentum feeling for the first time. My arm still collapsed and bent in under the pressure of the swing, but I still felt like it was taut the whole time. I was also able to throw an alrightish distance without really trying very hard at all. I still need some more practice with it, but I think I'm finally on the right track.

During my throws I didn't really have to focus on getting my body or hips into position all that much like I have been doing. I just shifted from one foot to the other and pretended the disc was heavy, and tried to keep my arm extended throughout the throw. Let me know if this sounds right and how these throws look.

Your practice swings looked much better, and even your throws. You are still trying to shift your hips too much back and forth instead of shifting the weight pressure in your feet. Your front leg needs to be smoothly(not jumping) extending during the swing/pumps the swing. Your leg is collapsing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_c4vyd6JY

Here is after a round later in the day. I was trying to not really focus on any specific part of my throw except trying to extend my leg (having some difficulty with that). I wanted to film what my normal honest throw looks at the moment so I can work on that.

I also tried throwing an x step back in. Let me know how this looks.

Looks like you are trying to cut down a tree with your head instead of the hand/axe/disc being deployed thru the tree away from the body. If you had the disc nose down you would be throwing into the ground, instead of throwing/releasing out to the target slightly upward, so you need to shift your spine tilt to the front leg and stand upright on front leg into finish like if you were shoving snow or bowling. The way you are trying extend your front leg is pushing or rejecting yourself off the front leg instead of moving upright balanced on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5aA_my8yio#t=2m12s

SC - 3:20 "Wow this feels so weird"

"Shifting from the front and getting pulled around like a rag doll"

Screw that front foot into the ground. Brace in on that inside edge of the ski. Your practice throws look better than the throw in that regard.

That rear arm move in backswing moving behind the back es no bueno, going to hurt your back.

Looks like you are really trying to swing hard and spin out of your shoes instead of shifting laterally effortlessly like walking or skating. When you go to throw your backswing started out good, but then you over-rotated with rear arm going behind back and your front foot never strides forward so your rear hand actually ends up closer to target than your front foot and you have all that rear arm weight going away from target in forward swing so it's like reverse shifting.

Work on the movement pattern. Let the swing go past your body while your body braces against the swing pulling away back and forth from target (not around). The swing will rotate your body if you let it after shifting to one leg, instead of trying to force it to rotate with both your feet stuck in the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=3m7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNWbVbHAKJQ

Alright so I have been trying to go out and practice when I can and filming myself. I finally got a tripod so the videos will be a little easier to get now.

I was trying to keep my momentum going in a straight line and not rotate as much too early like I have been doing. I'm finding it REALLY difficult to not bend my knee and collapse in the brace so much, I really really focused on it during my second throw.

I have also been starting my throws out lately by just swinging the disc back and forth and trying to feel the weight and tune in to the pendulum. I then try and use my weight to juice that feel a little bit, and then try and translate that feel into a shot. I've had a couple of throws in the past couple of weeks that felt kind of right but it still doesn't feel great. Let me know what you see.

PS. I also got my first ace yesterday so that was awesome!

It really looks like you are trying to do the correct sequence of moves and your body ain´t reacting to your swing because of that. Almost like dancing without hearing the music :). How bout picking out a target area say 30ft away and try to throw a hammer to that area. With your Left hand, backhand, underhand, right hand etc. just let your brain figure it out. Focus on the task. Magic might just happen.

Well once again, old advice that I have heard and read a thousand times finally "clicked". Its interesting how much of a difference there is between knowing something and then finally realizing it.

My friend that I play with a lot has been having some issues with his putting lately so we decided to go out to the local course several times and just do field work with a focus on putting. After we did some putting for a while with drills we decided to throw some discs back and forth. I had remembered a mcbeth video with him saying that a good practice routine was to put your bag out about 200 feet and just try to throw every disc in your bag at it. So we both set up about 200 feet away from each other and threw to each other. This was the first time in my almost two years of field work and practice that I didn't just go out into a field and try to throw as far as I possibly could. The difference was night and day. It felt like I was finally slowing down enough to be able to think about the different parts of my throw comfortably instead of rushing through it.

Now if someone asked me about drills and how to throw far, I would reflexively tell them to NOT throw the disc as hard as you can, as I have read this and been told this over and over. This is information that I definitely know, but for the first time I think I actually experienced it, and threw to a target instead of just as far as I can.

I really felt how I wasn't getting upright and balanced on my front leg before I threw the disc, and trying to do this made my throw feel super weird and like it would have no power. As I have discovered and rediscovered before, the throw not feeling powerful is not the same as it not being powerful. By the end of the session I felt like I had changed some mental things about my form, and here is my attempt at recreating those changes and that feeling.

The main difference here and with my throws from before, is that it feels like I'm really sending my weight into my right leg and getting completely planted, almost stopping my momentum, before I try to initiate the throw. I may still be doing some bad habits (insert comment about perpetually flailing back arm here) but this at least feels more in control. The ground was super wet today so these throws weren't perfect, but it does feel a lot better. It's also a lot less frustrating when I'm not hucking discs as far as I can and then getting disappointed with the inevitable result lol. Let me know how these look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvPu84AU2pI

I also had a quick question about hammer drills. I went out and tried to throw a hammer around and I wasn't able to find a good field without people in it, so I was throwing very lightly. In order to make the hammer go where I wanted it to, I had to relax my grip and let the hammer kind of slip out. I am now realizing that I still have some residual fear of the hammer throws ever since I threw one through that same friend's window. I might still try and go out and do the hammer throws again, but when I do, should the hammer be releasing like a disc (without me loosening my grip and letting it go?)

That looks much better! Try taking a 3-6" stride with the front foot.

The hammer should fly/slide out when the handle is pointed at the target.

Alright everyone, 2020 was a terrible year but I am finally back to working on my form! I had to move again but I've found another nice field to throw in. I decided this time that instead of looking up form videos again and trying really hard, I was going to just try and throw without thinking too much about it. I figure that will give me a more honest baseline.

Here is where I'm at again, I fully expect that I will have to re-learn some of the things I achieved in the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvHDf51zBW0

PS. I forgot my tripod at home so future videos won't have this wonky 6 inch high POV.

Let me know where I should start first getting back into this.

Welcome back!

It looks to me like you're curling the wrist and muscling the disc. You're swinging the weight but I think you're tense, in your previous videos your pre swings were loose and fluid, with a defined hit point.

Loosen up the arm and swing out to target, windmill over your head if it helps.
The arm/disc has to rotate in the shoulder to release properly.

This might help find some goodness.

Not sure if this will help, but here's what worked for me. I spent months trying to throw the hammer like a disc as Sidewinder mentioned above, trying to throw it really hard and muscle it out there.

I revisited the "hammer pound" thread from Blake T, and started trying to do some of the drills with a hammer instead of a disc. That was the light bulb for me.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

I found the lever drill particularly effective with a hammer. If you do exactly what he's describing with a hammer instead of a disc, you'll feel how your arm/wrist/ thumb just naturally leverage the disc out to the right side of your body. Just swinging your shoulder and leading with the handle and it just happens like magic.

Part 4 Faliure #3: The Lever

Grip the disc like you are holding a steering wheel with 1 hand, leaned back, and trying to look cool while cruising. Your hand should be at 12 o'clock with the majority of your palm on top of the disc. Your fingers will be curled under and onto the rim wall, intersecting the rim at ~90 degrees. The disc should be pretty much perpendicular to the forearm and seam of the hand. This isn't a drill meant for throwing, just for establishing a feel.

Lean forward slightly and dangle your arm in front of you with your arm straight until you are holding the disc at about mid-thigh height (it will vary based upon your arm length). The disc should be between your hand and your body. Slowly rock your right shoulder back and forth letting your arm and the disc pendulum back and forth in a completely relaxed manner. Gradually increase the distance the pendulum travels to the right side. As you pass beyond the right side of your body and get a ways away, you should notice that your hand naturally rotates from being on the far edge of the disc (opposite from your body) to the right edge of the disc. As you build this feel start to use a quicker shoulder motion to the right and pull around the disc so that your hand turns around the disc to the near edge of the disc. Push with your thumb as you pull through the turn.

You should feel the edge of the disc opposite your grip being "levered" out and around. Do this a few times to build the feel.

And this from SW

You are pushing/tipping your head over. It's going to feel very different and weird to change your balance. You need to work on this from standstill setup.

attachment.php

Attachments

• psnap tilt.jpg
    psnap tilt.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 69
Alrighty, I got two videos this time. I will be honest I tried doing the lever drills and hammer drills, but I couldn't really see what he was doing on the video, so instead I went with the arm rotation drill. In one of the videos I show my grip and was wondering if I was doing the drill grip correctly, so let me know how that looks. I did switch back to my normal grip when I went to actually throw. I'll also note that I tried to stay as relaxed as possible during all these throws.

For the throws I was really focused mainly on trying to make the moment when my arm naturally rotates out be about where the disc is releasing through the hit. I also was trying to throw while on the right side of my body.

Some of these throws went super anhyzer and none of them went particularly far, but I did find that on a good throw, the disc came out flat, and went about 310 or 320, and that was with very very little effort so I think I'm getting closer. As always thank you everyone for continuing to help me, and let me know what ya see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Q3bPp8XoI&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOGCqRJJT2A

Last edited:

Latest posts