• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't understand Udisc course ratings

Another little beef I have with U-disc is that old layouts cannot be deleted. So if a course gets a redesign the old design is still available to "play".
They should really look at allowing a course to have 1 or 2 course administrators who set the maps, pars, etc.
Allowing random knobs to change par on holes is soooooo bad. :wall:

Well I mean someone has to update layouts if people want it to be correct. Imagine I'm the first person to add a layout to UDisc for a public course...and then 10x/year they move pins to secondary locations and then eventually back and UDisc is constantly wrong because nobody can update the layout.

UDisc isn't just scoring. You're updating the personal par...but people using UDisc for other things are going to want the actual layout updated to reflect the location/distance of that new basket being played.

I think that's one of the biggest values of UDISC. Maintaining an accurate layout of a course.

Tees are generally fixed points. Pin locations vary. Ideally, those responsible for pin location changes would enter an update when a basket is moved.

Unfortunately that's just one more thing to be asked of a volunteer. But, it's not a bad idea when a course has some level of ownership (meaning those that are responsible for moving baskets) be the only people allowed to modify the UDisc map.

To keep the uDisc complain train going, what's up with people on there putting the wrong layout as the main course map when its an extremely easy to follow course that has never had any layout changes or pin changes ever.

How the hell could you not see the next teepad that was visible from the last basket and even has readable signage that confirms that it is indeed hole 6's teepad yet you felt the need to mark it as #7's.

/endrant

To keep the uDisc complain train going, what's up with people on there putting the wrong layout as the main course map when its an extremely easy to follow course that has never had any layout changes or pin changes ever.

How the hell could you not see the next teepad that was visible from the last basket and even has readable signage that confirms that it is indeed hole 6's teepad yet you felt the need to mark it as #7's.

/endrant

This is where U-Disc fails at the thing it's best at: navigation. Too many people create too many layouts for a single course, and you end up with something misleading, if not illogical and difficult to follow.

I'm confused by the posts from both you and Bill. UDISC allows a random person to change the PAR rating on a hole, but when you (or Bill) go to change it to it's assigned PAR, UDISC says "no"? So, anyone can change it once, but then it's locked down until you provide evidence to an admin?

That is pretty crappy.

As far as assigning 3 to a 700' hole--it's just a number (to me). If I get a 3 and everyone else gets a 4, it's strokes on folks.

Yeah, it is pretty crappy. I could understand if they told me it can only be changed once a week (or some timeframe)....or if they said the person making the change claimed to be the course owner (or some position of 'authority' over the course). But none of that happened....my change was just denied until I proved it....but the other person didn't have to prove it for their change to take effect.

This is where U-Disc fails at the thing it's best at: navigation. Too many people create too many layouts for a single course, and you end up with something misleading, if not illogical and difficult to follow.

I can understand that some people/groups hold tournaments/leagues that use a different layout....but they should be required to name the 'alternate' layout something unique to identify it from the normal layout. For example: I might create a unique layout for a tournament I want to have....so I could name it... Bill's Grand Tourney Layout. Or even include a date....Bill's Layout For Dec 30 2021 Only.

To be fair, most of the "Main Layouts" have been accurate so far but every once in awhile I'll be trying to use uDisc to find the next teepad when it's not super obvious and end up having to just put my phone back in my pocket because the app lead me to the wrong teepad due to it be marked incorrectly on the app.

Overall, uDisc's only value really is having a mapped layout with a GPS current location dot to live track your movements around the course. In an area with bad cell reception? Well you probably aren't going to get accurate movements on uDisc's layout map and will just end up getting more frustrated.

At our private course, we haven't had issues with UDisc (other than the hole distances being off). Perhaps because our player traffic is lower. But I've had my battles with other apps & websites that scrape data or allow unauthorized people to create it. (A competitor that lost out to UDisc, refused to put a "private" label on our course, but finally gave it to my demand to remove it).

that kind of defeats some of the usefulness and purpose of UDISC for comparing your round to others.

Within the app, the leaderboards are based on total stroke count, so comparing is actually easy.

I think rating wise I follow the DGCR ratings more than I do the UDisc Ratings. Although that being the case, I have gone to courses that a bunch of people suggest to play and I dislike. But at the same time, I have also been to what are considered "bad" courses and loved them. Just my two cents.

Within the app, the leaderboards are based on total stroke count, so comparing is actually easy.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my statement. I agree with what you are saying--that is what is supposed to happen. If the layout on UDISC is not the layout you are playing, then you no longer have an apples to apples comparison.

At our private course, we haven't had issues with UDisc (other than the hole distances being off). Perhaps because our player traffic is lower. But I've had my battles with other apps & websites that scrape data or allow unauthorized people to create it. (A competitor that lost out to UDisc, refused to put a "private" label on our course, but finally gave it to my demand to remove it).

:wall:

One simple thing UDisc could do to become more accurate.

Every few rounds at a local course or the next time a player plays a less frequent course just pop up message asking whether the player would like to adjust their review score.

It would be fascinating to see how that changed things for courses over time as players build up greater experience.

My only issue with UDisc ratings is that UDisc themselves takes the high road and they think that their rating system is superior and is the end all be all when it comes to course ratings.

My only issue with UDisc ratings is that UDisc themselves takes the high road and they think that their rating system is superior and is the end all be all when it comes to course ratings.

especially cuz its udisc and not urate

Latest posts