• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't understand Udisc course ratings

I honestly don't understand why Udisc ratings are so inflated and why there are such a predominance of 5.0 ratings.

OK, it's obvious that homeboy bias is rampant on Udisc.
Sorta like the DGCR charade with Jarva, doncha think ?

Plus, if I remember right I think Jarva got tons of ratings because it looked like it was going to be pulled. The mentality being "you can't kill this course...it's the highest rated course in the world!" :wall:

Plus, if I remember right I think Jarva got tons of ratings because it looked like it was going to be pulled. The mentality being "you can't kill this course...it's the highest rated course in the world!" :wall:
When 12 of 23 reviews are from folks making their first review, what does that say ?

I thought it did get pulled. What is going on with that place?

Specifically referring to course ratings, not reviews or the content of reviews and, IMHO...

The difference between course ratings on U-Disc and DG Scene, vs DGCR is: perspective.
More specifically, a local perspective, vs. a national or even global perspective.

U-Disc & DG Scene ratings appear to be highly subjective, emotionally based, and centered around local enthusiasm for a course. "How glad am I that this course is in my area?" How upset would I be if it were pulled?"

DGCR was created to let people know where courses are, which courses they might want to play when traveling, and even, where they might want to travel to, to play courses. Early on, Tim set the stage by suggesting that reviewers,
Tim said:
What makes a good review[/B]?" when you go to review a course]"Try to judge the course objectively and on its own merits. Not every course deserves a high rating."

I'm sure most of us would be quite enthusiastic to get another course in our area to play, even a run the mill course that doesn't stand out in any particular way. Or that we'd be quite upset if an area course got shut down, even if it didn't make anyone's top 10 list. DG-Scene and U-Disc ratings seem to reflect that sort of emotional response.

I could be wrong, but I don't think even the most avid reviewers on either of those sites, would suggest anyone should take a 3 day road trip to play a bunch of courses with "A" or 4.0+ ratings on those sites. But I think that's precisely what most prolific DGCR's reviewers are saying when we rate courses 4.0+.

Just my take.

Food for thought: Redit Discussion: UDisc course ratings aren't that helpful.

Last edited:
When 12 of 23 reviews are from folks making their first review, what does that say ?
So I didn't really agree with you 100% about the reviews; this is a user content site and that is the content we have so there really wasn't much to do about that.

What your comment did do was make me try to figure out what is going on at Järva DiscgolfPark, and from what I can tell 13 holes from the 27 hole layout that was reviewed are gone. Four new holes were installed to bring the total to 18. We don't know anything about those four holes, how the new design flows, and how much of the magic that made the place so popular was lost with those 13 holes. We had 0 reviews of the new course design, but UDisc has a few reviews that complained about signs and flow from last summer after the new design opened.

I mentioned it to Tim, and he agreed that we should reset Järva. It is not RIP'ed and old reviews can be found on the users review page, but the reviews of the old 27 hole course no longer show on the course page and no longer count toward a rating. We have no reviews of the current Järva layout, so it is currently not rated on DGCR.

As a result of having no ratings it's no longer the #2 rated course on the main page, which I think is what you wanted.

So I didn't really agree with you 100% about the reviews; this is a user content site and that is the content we have so there really wasn't much to do about that.

What your comment did do was make me try to figure out what is going on at Järva DiscgolfPark, and from what I can tell 13 holes from the 27 hole layout that was reviewed are gone. Four new holes were installed to bring the total to 18. We don't know anything about those four holes, how the new design flows, and how much of the magic that made the place so popular was lost with those 13 holes. We had 0 reviews of the new course design, but UDisc has a few reviews that complained about signs and flow from last summer after the new design opened.

I mentioned it to Tim, and he agreed that we should reset Järva. It is not RIP'ed and old reviews can be found on the users review page, but the reviews of the old 27 hole course no longer show on the course page and no longer count toward a rating. We have no reviews of the current Järva layout, so it is currently not rated on DGCR.

As a result of having no ratings it's no longer the #2 rated course on the main page, which I think is what you wanted.

:clap: I think this was the right choice, given that roughly half the course was pulled. The change (by all descriptions) is significant enough that the old reviews shouldn't drive the score for the current layout.

Haha Golf Island Disc Park is #18 haha.

I love my home course but I don't think it deserves top 20.. Great short course, decent for kids, lots of elevation changes but really if you have some skills you only need a driver for 4 holes outta 27.

I love my home course but I don't think it deserves top 20.. Great short course, decent for kids, lots of elevation changes but really if you have some skills you only need a driver for 4 holes outta 27.

Well, that explains it. There are a lot more people who don't have some skills.

With an average hole length 160' it seems to be a very, very tight pitch & putt in an incredibly beautiful setting. I get the feeling that all of British Columbia looks like this.:D

(listed as Gulf Island Disc Park on this site)
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2066&mode=ci

With an average hole length 160' it seems to be a very, very tight pitch & putt in an incredibly beautiful setting. I get the feeling that all of British Columbia looks like this.:D

(listed as Gulf Island Disc Park on this site)
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2066&mode=ci

Yeah it's pretty nice, I think the course has been in for over 30yrs now. Nettle Gulch is gone but not missed.. (Stinging nettle gulch that is). The layout has been changed a few times. Lots of trees, you are right there.. Lots of elevation changes. There's only 5/27 holes I haven't aced... two of which I can reach. The biggest drawback is the lack of distance shots.

I think the ratings are reflective of location, ease of play so it's fun and that it's established enough that people have been talking about it for 20+ years. Go on a fun day trip, have a Pender Bender.

Flattered that people like it that much but if I was evaluating courses at an advanced level: Maple Ridge is similar with better distance, Raptor Knoll is much longer and very pro. Those courses deserve the nod first. I think RK was on the list last year.

I was just talking to some newer players on our local course.

They big fans of Udisc.

I mentioned Ken Climo and David Feldberg the other day.. They literally had no idea who either are or their influence on disc golf.

But, they're qualified to review a course?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was just talking to some newer players on our local course.

They big fans of Udisc.

I mentioned Ken Climo and David Feldberg the other day.. They literally had no idea who either are or their influence on disc golf.

But, they're qualified to review a course?

I'm going to have to disagree with your logic on this.

I think if you have played a lot of courses (+25) and are an experienced player or at least understand how discs should fly, have good writing and observation skills, and have a desire to tell people what you saw - you can be a good reviewer. :clap:

In my opinion, knowing the history of the disc golf doesn't come into play.

I'm going to have to disagree with your logic on this.

I think if you have played a lot of courses (+25) and are an experienced player or at least understand how discs should fly, have good writing and observation skills, and have a desire to tell people what you saw - you can be a good reviewer. :clap:

In my opinion, knowing the history of the disc golf doesn't come into play.
These guys played Ike 3 courses, can't throw a driver over 150 ft, and can't putt to save their lives.

I would think if you've played 25 courses who would have heard of Ken Climo or Feldberg imo.

I do understand you're point, it's valid.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I would think if you've played 25 courses who would have heard of Ken Climo or Feldberg imo.

I've met people who've played a 25 courses, and have no idea who McBeth is.

Particularly in the last few years, when people have discovered disc golf as a recreational activity and are running around playing as much and as many places as they can, with no clue that there's even a pro level. Or some who know it exists, but have never paid any attention to it. They just love playing disc golf.

Latest posts