• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't understand Udisc course ratings

Ha, out of our die hard Sunday league of 20 maybe 5 people might watch DGPT, I bet more than 15 know who KC is (cuz they have owned a disc) but only 5 might know JC or McB.

Most of em have been playing for 20yrs+ they just don't follow it that close.

I've met people who've played a 25 courses, and have no idea who McBeth is.

Particularly in the last few years, when people have discovered disc golf as a recreational activity and are running around playing as much and as many places as they can, with no clue that there's even a pro level. Or some who know it exists, but have never paid any attention to it. They just love playing disc golf.
I think newbie reviews are hilarious fwiw.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ha, out of our die hard Sunday league of 20 maybe 5 people might watch DGPT, I bet more than 15 know who KC is (cuz they have owned a disc) but only 5 might know JC or McB.

Most of em have been playing for 20yrs+ they just don't follow it that close.
That's a great example of lazy disc golfers.

Babe Ruth, Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi, Wilt Chamberlain.

I rest my case.

UDISC's ratings system is bad, but at least they have the correct listing for Florida's #1 course.

I've met people who've played a 25 courses, and have no idea who McBeth is.

Particularly in the last few years, when people have discovered disc golf as a recreational activity and are running around playing as much and as many places as they can, with no clue that there's even a pro level. Or some who know it exists, but have never paid any attention to it. They just love playing disc golf.
Who is this McBeth guy?

Wait, there are pro players? Do you mean that people can make money playing disc golf?

That's a great example of lazy disc golfers.

Babe Ruth, Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi, Wilt Chamberlain.

I rest my case.

Have you ever bowled, played cornhole, badminton, horseshoes, chess, mini golf? Do you know the current world champs of each....how about the legends of those sports?

I don't see people, who don't see things the way I do, as lazy. Just unique.

UDISC's ratings system is bad, but at least they have the correct listing for Florida's #1 course.

Yep, despite how much I dislike Udisc's ratings system, it still basically matches DGCR's listing for Oregon:

Udisc top 5:
Rank Course City Score
1 Milo McIver Estacada 95.65
2 Whistler's Bend Roseburg 92.59
3 Dexter Park Dexter 91.24
4 Pier Park Portland 91.04
5 Hornings Hideout - Canyon Course North Plains 90.90

DGCR top 5(6):
1. Riverbend DGC (Milo McIver) Estacada, OR 75
2. Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge North Plains, OR 43
3. Whistler's Bend Roseburg, OR 12
4. Pier Park Portland, OR 103
5. Dexter Park DGC Dexter, OR 50
6. Horning's Hideout - Canyon Course North Plains, OR 47

I mean, I'm not entirely satisfied that a few of those courses are really top 5 in Oregon, but at least the two methods are pretty comparable. :p

In order to better educate players, perhaps we should add signs beneath those which advertise UDisc popping up on courses. (See example attached.)

Attachments

• dgcr_spoof udisc.jpg
    dgcr_spoof udisc.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 123
In order to better educate players, perhaps we should add signs beneath those which advertise UDisc popping up on courses. (See example attached.)
I love that! Those signs would be perfect!

Gonna bump this - did anyone ever actually print some of these out and use them? I was thinking about something like this recently with maybe that classic (cliche? overused?) tagline of "KNOW BEFORE YOU GO".

I wasn't aware of the fractional rating system. I have not played many different courses and haven't rated anything in a while. I don't think I was aware of the fractional option.

I saw the rating system as pretty limited if it's 5 points (1-5) and would be happy with 3 point rating system mentioned above. Anything less than 3/5 says this course sucks, I wont play it again. Nothing is perfect so it's either a 3 or a 4 for a fun course. Having fractional options, I may want to go back to my reviews (all 4) to see if I need to update the numbers.
I would argue that this is why there are so many inflated reviews. A 2.5/5 is NOT a course that sucks, it's an average course. It likely is a good disc golf course that hopefully has room to improve. Great scenery, nice lines, good baskets, but dirt tee pads and no signage...no matter how much fun I had, it is not getting a 4 or 5 because there are so many 'easy' (not cheap) fixes to improve the course. If I gave it a 5, and then they added concrete tees and signage, that exposes the flaws in my rating. I still would likely play a course like that (if I was local) a lot. In my own experience, I've enjoyed a lot of 2.0 disc courses I've played (like 9 holers with some flaws). It's when I get into the <1.5 arena that the 'this course sucks, I'm not coming back' mentality becomes more probable.

FYI... that QR code on the image I created above works to link to dgcoursereview.com

Last edited:
I find that UDisc ratings are like a combination of course reviews, and current conditions. Albeit they seem far weighted toward conditions, and not the design or overall experience. I rely on DGCR for ratings. At least UDisc is more reliable than some of the DGScene ratings for courses in some parts of the country!

Udisc just sent out an email to course ambassadors about changes to their course ratings. You can now rate a course using 6 categories which is much better than a single rating for the entire course.

We've heard your feedback and have some exciting news to share.
Detailed course ratings are here! What does that mean?
  • Users can now review six categories about features on your course (in addition to the overall rating you're used to):
    • Upkeep
    • Shot variety/design
    • Tee areas
    • Signage/wayfinding
    • Amenities
    • Scenery/views
  • Players can give ratings a thumbs up to echo shared sentiments or mark them as helpful.
  • Each reviewer's count of total courses played is visible to you and all other players.

Udisc just sent out an email to course ambassadors about changes to their course ratings. You can now rate a course using 6 categories which is much better than a single rating for the entire course.

We've heard your feedback and have some exciting news to share.
Detailed course ratings are here! What does that mean?
  • Users can now review six categories about features on your course (in addition to the overall rating you're used to):
    • Upkeep
    • Shot variety/design
    • Tee areas
    • Signage/wayfinding
    • Amenities
    • Scenery/views
  • Players can give ratings a thumbs up to echo shared sentiments or mark them as helpful.
  • Each reviewer's count of total courses played is visible to you and all other players.
this aggression will not stand, man.

Latest posts