• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I found the perfect putter for me, but it's because it's deformed. Replicatable?

JonathanXz

Bogey Member
So I was out playing a round with a buddy of mine. I've only been playing since August, but I've been looking for a putter that I really liked. I've settled on the wizard since I really like the mold. Today I was looking through my friends bag and I saw a Challenger that was concaved. Like a reverse dome. I love the way that it feels in my hand. I immediately traded him something for it.

A) I'm worried that once this is beat to death that I won't be able to replace it. B) If I could replicate it, how much more would I like Wizards.

Has anyone seen deformities like this before? I tried taking a picture to show exactly what I mean, but the deformity isn't so severe that it shows up well. Basically, instead of being pretty much flat like a Challenger is supposed to be, it dips in about an inch from the rim.

Check out the Yeti Aviar. They come stock with a sunken dome and are fairly comparable flight-wise to a Challenger.

Welcome to the world of inconsistencies of discs!
But while "reverse domed" discs are rare, they do occur / you can find them occasionally. I have a FLX Drone that's such and it's a keeper! Understand that they will though glide less then 'normal discs'. And since it's a putter (the disc you mentioned), if you like it for putting - and not throwing hard - you should NOT lose it / nor should it beat in THAT much. I've been using the same putter for 9 years now...and hope I never leave it somewhere (about the only way I'm losing it).

Karl

Sunken dome putters really are not all that rare. Before the Yeti came out I used to look specifically for that trait and I never really had much problem finding them. Now that the Yeti is out, you have one you know will have a sunken dome.

Since you're new I'm gonna let you know the yeti is a mold variation of the innova aviar putter.

Most of the challengers at my local Academy sports are concaved. Idk if they have academy's in NY but maybe it's the same at other stores.

tons of soft x challengers are concave and if you look enough you can find some pro d ones like that as well. My main ion is concave and I love it!!

I have 2 that have like a reverse pop top, I can pop it by pushing on the bottom. Ill sell them if you/re interested :D

Sunken dome putters really are not all that rare. Before the Yeti came out I used to look specifically for that trait and I never really had much problem finding them. Now that the Yeti is out, you have one you know will have a sunken dome.

Agree, I see a lot of putters with sunken flight plates, across all brands, and usually the "soft" versions. Likely a result of being flimsy plus gravity.

I will say that almost every new pro d challenger that I've seen that is pick has been concave. Worth a shot to go look for pink ones and check them out.